Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

workinprogressNov222009.jpg

behindthehotel450x600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm new to Listowel: well kind of anyway and am wondering does anyone know of night classes, dance classes, etc etc in town?! Need to get out and know people!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

cyning wrote: »
    I'm new to Listowel: well kind of anyway and am wondering does anyone know of night classes, dance classes, etc etc in town?! Need to get out and know people!! Thanks

One place to go and meet people would be Listowel Christian Fellowship. We got to know some people there a couple of years back and they are a fine bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

One place to go and meet people would be Listowel Christian Fellowship. We got to know some people there a couple of years back and they are a fine bunch.

Welcome to Listowel.

If you can sing,try the folk group. If dancing is your thing, there is a céili in Clounmacon every week.

You could try the Writers' Week commitee or any of the charitable organisations like the M.S. Society.

If you want to get out and about and help charity as well, go to the Town Park on Sat. morning and join the Crusaders.

There will probably be new night classes starting in the Community College after Christmas.

These are just a few suggestions. Good luck with settling in.

• Advertisement

First signs in The Square today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jpurcell

boroman wrote: »
    In reply to Ollaetta re/ Ballinruddery indenture of 10/10/1923, the copy that I have may have come from a family member of one of the original tenants. The people mentioned in it are as follows,
    Patrick Faley, Timothy Dowling, Denis Curtin, Thomas Kennelly, Charles Purcell, Michael Cronin, Maurice Dowling, Maurice O Connell, George Gleasure, John Dowling, Peter Dowling, John Keane, Michael Sullivan, Daniel Moriarty, John Purcell, Michael Dore, Patrick Stack, Joseph Heffernan, Joseph Smith, Richard Harnett, Daniel Stack, James Kennelly, Patrick Dooling, Jeremiah Mc Auliffe, Thomas Connell, Thomas O Connor, Maurice O Connor and Daniel Stack.
    All the above have signed the indenture as the new landowners with Arthur Henry Brinsley Fitzgerald and Dame Amelia Catherine Fitzgerald on behalf of the Fitzgerald family, the Solicitor who drew up the deed was Robert A Macaulay of Listowel.
    This indenture also included land in Inchymagilleragh, Dromin Lower and Skehanierin Lower.

Hi... Can you tell me what exactly the references mentioning the Purcells are? I do recognize several of these people--some are relations, etc... Thanks...Kevin jpurcell@mlode.com

Church Newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jpurcell

As it relates to my grandfather and his brother, I'd love to know more about the Ballinruddery Indenture mentioned herein...Thanks, Kevin

PM user to contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RiverFeale

Church Records of Births Deaths and Marriages for Kerry are now available online on www.irishgenealogy.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Highr0ller

CLASSIC MOVIEPLEX
    LISTOWEL
    FILM CLUB
    Info: 068-22796 www. Listowel-cinema.com

Thurs Nov 26th at 8pm
    ADAM
    A story about two strangers….One a little stranger then the other. Can a man with asperger syndrome have a normal romantic relationship? That’s what this comedy/drama asks. Starring Hugh Dancy and Rose Byrne.
    Thurs Dec 3rd at 8pm
    AWAY WE GO
    The adventures and misadventures of a couple ,who, expecting their first child, travel around the U.S. in order to find the perfect place to start their family. Directed by Sam Mendes of American Beauty and Revolutionary Road fame.
    Thurs Dec 10th at 8pm
    MESRINE:KILLER INSTINCT
    A true story about the legendary gangster Mesrine who was as famous in France as Dillinger was in America. Gripping with powerhouse performances from Vincent Cassel and Gerard Depardieu.
    Thurs Jan 7th at 8pm
    MESRINE:PUBLIC ENEMY NO 1
    The explosive story continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark142857

Listowel Church records now online? Brilliant! No more will I have to bother Billy Maloney!

Before you get too excited about searching the records, only the 1700's and the 1800's are up yet.

I hope it will be worth all the disruption. The street resembles a warzone at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Before you get too excited about searching the records, only the 1700's and the 1800's are up yet.

I sought myself ( being of the mid-20th century vintage) & could not find.
    Accordingly, I declared myself missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Just drove through Listowel today,what a great job they made of the new road past kerry Group,all the way over the bridge and into town.
    Fantastic to see it all done properly and no shortcuts taken.
    The new Spar shop on the way in on the left is very modern too.

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

Hi Cherry Tree any chance that himself has a photo of the class of 1978...I seem to have lost mine...be nice to have a copy....cheers

Just to keep the diaspora up to date, here are two images from home on this pleasant December morn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 madhatter49

Sorry, I don't know the names of any of the Crowley's. My mom and grandmother knew them fairly well, but they're both gone now.

Deenihan's was (or maybe still is) a little shop just west of the six rows of caravans you see in the Google Earth picture. A small general store ... I think, but I'm not sure there were black and white tiles outside the store underneath the front window. Every week, we'd go into the village so my grandmother could pick up "her messages." In other words, the weekly groceries. Deenihan's was basically a small ... very small supermarket. You got your basic groceries in there. (Whenever I'd wander into the town on my own, I'd always stop in and get a Choc-Ice for 4p.)

The old man was Vincent, but everyone called him Veenie (or maybe that was just the Kerry accent.) I forget his wife's name but he had at least two daughters Mina who became Mina Wolfe. I think she became a schoolteacher. And Joan - she married a farmer Mike O'Donnell who lived a couple miles east of the village on the Listowel Road. If you know the Francis Road, O'Donnell's farm was just a little west of there, on the south side of the Listowel Road.

Here's the switch where the Francis Road and the Listowel Road intersect:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/43011/15664.JPG

Now that I think about it, Veenie used to raise a pheasants if that's any help to you. He had a lot of pheasants behind the store: big coops of them.
    sorry, I came into the middle of this dialogue you are having, but...it sounds like you still live in Listowel....do you know any Heffernans or Guerins

• Advertisement

Church Newsletter
    hi...are you connected with St Marys? Are any Guerins or Heffernans parisheners of St Marys...I'm an Irishwoman in L.A trying to connect with relatives....thanks

Hello AWAYYABLAGGARD:

Glad to get the ball rolling ! This world is smaller on account of the computer. Smaller than you think.
    Glad to hear your mother is still with you . On a very very happy note :I know your mother and your Grandmother Meta o'L. !
    It has been over 30 years since I last saw or spoke to them.

Mention "HETTI MARTINI" to your mother ( Gloria ?). My very best regards to her.Fond memories of them both.Such a strange way to meet once again

sheehyantiques@msn.com for the photo of Maureen Sheehy's girls.
    hi..I sent you a private message - maybe, some of the directives confuse me and you may not have received it. It seems that you lived or still live in Listowel. My grandfather was raised in Ballygrennan, but left before the turn of the 20th century. However, I think a lot of descendants are still around. Do you know any Heffernans or Guerins? I'm working on our ancestry. Thanks so much

Welcome to the thread, Madhatter. When researching ancestors from Listowel it's probably best to start with the online records for the 1700's and 1800's. For more recent forebearers the Listowel thread is probably not always the best place to start. If you are trying to contact your relatives through people who just might know them or have heard of them, these messages are best sent privately.

If you are going to use the thread, then its best to read through all the posts. This will take a while but it will avoid the insensitivity of your posting messages to Sandhill Road, whose passing is well documented on the thread and whose presence here is still missed.

Best of luck with your family tree

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RiverFeale

www.irishgenealogy.ie ,online records for the 1700.s and 1800,s www.census.nationalarchives.ie, (1911 Census records).

I'm so sorry...you are right...I had gotton to page 10 of the LIstowel threads and got so jazzed reading posts from four years ago, that I wanted to jump right in.
    I promise to read through all 130 pages of posts before posting again, and/or will send private posts.
    I apologize for all the toes I stomped on and my heartfelt condolences to all on the passing of Sandhillroad.
    (as an American, I really try to be a good ambassador trying to disspell that image of the "loud, in-your-face American", but sometimes we just open wide and stuff our feet in our mouthes).

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Greetings all
    I know I have not posted in awhile........my apologies.
    Really busy these past few months.
    I had the chance to read a book by the author of "Slumdog Millionares"
    Don't ask me to spell, or even pronounce his name.
    Anyway the book is titled "Six Suspects"
    If "brenda" is looking in, maybe she can source it for you.
    I found it well worth the time.
    I am open to suggestions as to other titles that are reccomended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

Greetings all
    I know I have not posted in awhile........my apologies.
    Really busy these past few months.
    I had the chance to read a book by the author of "Slumdog Millionares"
    Don't ask me to spell, or even pronounce his name.
    Anyway the book is titled "Six Suspects"
    If "brenda" is looking in, maybe she can source it for you.
    I found it well worth the time.
    I am open to suggestions as to other titles that are reccomended.

Vikas Swarup (pronounced pretty much as it is written, unlike "Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh"!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭PaddyThai

I logged on here to hear the local Listowel views of the recent Sexual assault court case. But to my amasement there is no mention of it. Isn't anyone in Listowel outraged at the manner in which the victim was/is treated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

in reply to paddy thi yes after reading about it in the irish independant foley got off lightly.those 50 men and the rev.sheehy should be embarresed standing in line to shake his hand before sentencing. foley lied from the start about the victim, when the guards told him it was caught on tape then his story changed.hopefully the rev. will spend his time doing gods work and worry about the coverup by the irish bishops over the years.my best wishes to the victim but unfortunately she will have to leave ireland to get away from all this.

Advertisement