Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

HPIM0981.jpg

Back row left to right:
    Michael O'Neill RIP, Brendan Daly, Maureen O'Connor, Tom O'Connor RIP, Mickey Mahony RIP, John Daly RIP.

Middle Row left to right:
    Mrs Mickey Mahony, Mrs O'Connor, Mickey O'Connor RIP, Pat Walsh, Seán Lynch, Dick Kiely RIP, Willie Barrett, Tim Shanahan RIP, Johnny Mahony RIP, ________________, ________________, _________________, _______________.

Front row left to right:
    Junior Griffin, Angela Hayes / Flaherty, ________________, ___________________, __________________, __________________, Mrs Crowley. Manning

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

UpTheAshes wrote: »
    Maybe we should bomb Listowel. And Phoenix too!

"up the ashes" you should be very careful when you mention about bombing places.One time a lady made a comment on the phone about a certain show on broadway bombed and she got a house call from homeland security to what she meant.so if you hear from them don"t mention i told you so.yes john granville i will be home for the races thank you. Happy Christmas everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

thank you lovely writer for the picture of the mckennas social dance. I remember being at the 1st. one in 1962 when i worked there.What a wonderful bunch of workmates.sadly most have left us.junior ,pat walsh and angela still look great today.keep sending the parish letter,it is very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

listowel8 wrote: »
    "up the ashes" you should be very careful when you mention about bombing places.One time a lady made a comment on the phone about a certain show on broadway bombed and she got a house call from homeland security to what she meant.so if you hear from them don"t mention i told you so.yes john granville i will be home for the races thank you. Happy Christmas everyone.

It was a joke listowel8, but maybe in poor taste looking back on it now.(Things have become very serious here on this thread,with anyone stepping out of line being bashed by a certain person from the bully pulpit and talk of "comeuppances" and whatnot). I think I'll change it to "Maybe we should close down Listowel. And Phoenix too!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

listowel8 wrote: »

Ah, sure I know you'll be home listowel8 and I look forward to seeing you. The question was directed at Alfie2010.

Happy Christmas all and a special thanks to Lovely Writer who posts the Parish Newsletter EVERY week. Thanks also Cherry Tree for the lovely photos. Keep them coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

I will first declare my background, I was lucky to be have been born in the town of Listowel in the mid 1940s, and have lived in Upper William Street since birth, save for three years which I spend in London from 1963/1966.
    Like everyone else I have been upset at the news of the sexual case which has been in the in the public domain for the past week and a half.
    Today has been the first opportunity I have got to read the recent postings on the thread, Alfie 2010 and Target Widow have been fairly scalding in their remarks about the town and its people and some of their comments I feel have been over the top. The following are my views for what they are worth.
    Firstly my complete sympathy without reservation is with the victim (the young girl) in the case. As she wishes to remain anonymous I respect her right. As for the accused he has been dealt with by the court and his peers on the jury, I would not condone the happenings in the courtroom but the overwhelming majority of Listowel people do not have any say on what happens in a courtroom or the actions of faceless individuals who were supporting the accused. From what I have heard a lot of these people were not from the Listowel parish and many were friends and relations
    Until the findings of the court case became known I would honestly say that the only people with any knowledge of it taking place were the families of (a) the victim , her very close friends and her legal team on account of her anonymity (b) the accused and these friends who were supporting him.
    I would also condemn any misdirected individual who would shun this girl in any shape or form.
    Since the findings have become public, many column inches have been printed and a lot of media hysteria has been created by the various newspaper columnists wishing to justify the weekly wages. Some of this factual, more unreal.
    Again I wish to reiterate that I stand four square behind the victim in this sad case, however to my uneducated mind I fear that with all the negativity and adverse publicity this will serve as a deterrent in the future to any other unfortunate girl having a like experience in reporting and prosecuting.
    Even though I write as Boroman, my identity in Listowel is well known, if Alfie 2010 and Target Widow wish to come from behind their mask of anonymity they should let me know, I would gladly meet them. We have no elitism, we do not tolerate class distinction (which some of the newspapers reports seemed to project) and finally I would like to wish the young lady, her son and family a very happy and holy Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Alfie2010

Ah, what a lovely picture of a nice civilised night out! Not a half naked lady, predator or skip in sight. Now I wonder what happened since then in Listowel. Musta a put something in the water!!

And for the record I am no bully, just not a person to sit back and read drivel and ignore the law of the land! Don't know why someone needs to bomb anything, that got us nowhere either, guess you just can't leave the past out of the future it seems! Just a nice dose of common sense and christian behaviour towards those that have been wronged would do just fine.

I hope effort will be made in Listowel over the festive season to ensure that lady and her child have a decent christmas! God knows she deserves it. Now I wonder how many will make the effort?

boroman wrote: »
    I will first declare my background, I was lucky to be have been born in the town of Listowel in the mid 1940s, and have lived in Upper William Street since birth, save for three years which I spend in London from 1963/1966.
    Like everyone else I have been upset at the news of the sexual case which has been in the in the public domain for the past week and a half.
    Today has been the first opportunity I have got to read the recent postings on the thread, Alfie 2010 and Target Widow have been fairly scalding in their remarks about the town and its people and some of their comments I feel have been over the top. The following are my views for what they are worth.
    Firstly my complete sympathy without reservation is with the victim (the young girl) in the case. As she wishes to remain anonymous I respect her right. As for the accused he has been dealt with by the court and his peers on the jury, I would not condone the happenings in the courtroom but the overwhelming majority of Listowel people do not have any say on what happens in a courtroom or the actions of faceless individuals who were supporting the accused. From what I have heard a lot of these people were not from the Listowel parish and many were friends and relations
    Until the findings of the court case became known I would honestly say that the only people with any knowledge of it taking place were the families of (a) the victim , her very close friends and her legal team on account of her anonymity (b) the accused and these friends who were supporting him.
    I would also condemn any misdirected individual who would shun this girl in any shape or form.
    Since the findings have become public, many column inches have been printed and a lot of media hysteria has been created by the various newspaper columnists wishing to justify the weekly wages. Some of this factual, more unreal.
    Again I wish to reiterate that I stand four square behind the victim in this sad case, however to my uneducated mind I fear that with all the negativity and adverse publicity this will serve as a deterrent in the future to any other unfortunate girl having a like experience in reporting and prosecuting.
    Even though I write as Boroman, my identity in Listowel is well known, if Alfie 2010 and Target Widow wish to come from behind their mask of anonymity they should let me know, I would gladly meet them. We have no elitism, we do not tolerate class distinction (which some of the newspapers reports seemed to project) and finally I would like to wish the young lady, her son and family a very happy and holy Christmas.

Now look at that post! So there are balanced people in Listowel who are prepared to state the obvious. Thank you for your post sir, I was wondering was the town truely finished, well not while there are people like you! Alfie is my first name, and delaney is my last, no mask at all, it's right there in my profile.

I wish you and yours a happy one, and would be glad to have a pint with you anytime. I do know who you are.:)

Madhatter 49 has made enquires re/ Heffernan/Guerin families in Ballygrennan, some time ago a lady from Los Angeles called Kathy made enquiries about the same families.If you look up the webside www.irishoriginals.ie and look up photographs of Listowel streets, you will see a view from Ballygrennan, one of the house's on the left was occoupied by the families you mention, let us know more

Alfie2010 wrote: »
    Ah, what a lovely picture of a nice civilised night out! Not a half naked lady, predator or skip in sight. Now I wonder what happened since then in Listowel. Musta a put something in the water!!

And for the record I am no bully, just not a person to sit back and read drivel and ignore the law of the land! Don't know why someone needs to bomb anything, that got us nowhere either, guess you just can't leave the past out of the future it seems! Just a nice dose of common sense and christian behaviour towards those that have been wronged would do just fine.

I hope effort will be made in Listowel over the festive season to ensure that lady and her child have a decent christmas! God knows she deserves it. Now I wonder how many will make the effort?

I said above that post was in jest and I acknowledged that it was in poor taste. Mea Culpa. Now Alfie2010 you should take a look at your own choice of words along the way. There has been a fair amount of mudslinging and hostile comments from you .It seems that anyone who does not agree with your point of view gets withering criticism and anyone who does agree with you gets gushing praise. I am just objecting to the treatment that people have received from you. LovelyWriter is one example. When you're wrong, you're wrong, Alfie 2010.
    I too would like to wish the best to the victim in this sorry saga. I cannot explain the actions of the other people involved and I think the priest should butt out of it. His writing the character reference for Mr. Foley was fine but saying that the jury's verdict was " unacceptable" shows us that he has an exalted opinion of his own position in Irish society. As for the hand shakers and well wishers, well I just don't know. Is it just Listowel? - I don't think so, it could be any town in Ireland. In any case Mr. Foley goes to jail and the victim must now try to make the best of her life, or what's left of it.

• Advertisement

Yes, some of my comments were harsh, blunt or sarcastic, but judging by the private messages I have been getting, not far off the mark. Remember I am resonding to individual published comments, not a person as I am not face to face with anyone here. Sometimes a verbal assault can make people take stock of their comments and realise they are out of line too. Perhaps some of us can accept the dose of reality that was forced upon us this past week. And I did not praise any alignment to my comments, I acknowledged someone elses frank and honest response, which has been lacking here.

Oh, and lovely writer, it would be nice to see a note from the good christians you represent in your newsletter, offering best wishes to all victims in the parish, in the next edition. It would be an acknowledgement that christians can acknowledge wrong done, and stand up to it. That is of course if the newsletter, is really a christian parish one in the first place! Now that would be refreshing!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Today has been the first opportunity I have got to read the recent postings on the thread, Alfie 2010 and Target Widow have been fairly scalding in their remarks about the town and its people and some of their comments I feel have been over the top.
    May I ask you boroman where precisely in my post I have said a single negative word pertaining to the good people of Listowel? In fact what I said was that I refuse to believe that the majority of people in Listowel should be tarred with the same brush as those 50 individuals who chose to shake Mr. Foleys hand. I even attempted to ascribe a possible benign reason for why they may have done so, so not even they suffered any "scalding" remark from me. I mean the people of Listowel no offense and apologise if they mistook my call for a show of awareness and support for the victim in this case for an insult somehow. It would be as much in their own interests to show the world that they are not what the media are calling them, as to actually demonstrate to the world and to the victim that they DO care. It would help Listowel.
    Even though I write as Boroman, my identity in Listowel is well known, if Alfie 2010 and Target Widow wish to come from behind their mask of anonymity they should let me know, I would gladly meet them.

Ah... fighting talk?

And finally, I cannot even be bothered to directly quote the "good Christian" person on here who alleges once again that we haven't really heard the full story here (nudge nudge wink wink.) Well if you were aware of any facts pertaining to this case that aren't vicious rumours spread by the defendants friends and relatives about the victims dress/behaviour/drinking-sexual-relationship habits/previous cases/family members previous cases blah blah blah (I have heard them all and consider it all lies made up by supporters of Mr Foley) then you should have gone to the police with it. Coming out with it here in this fashion can only be construed as trying to denigrate the victim in some sneaky way. And this is the kind of carry-on that makes you look backward like the media says.

And on a more positive note, well done to Listowel Town Council on the excellent job they are doing in keeping the paths of the town well gritted and ice free. In my work I have the fortunate opportunity to chat daily with pensioners of the area and it delights them to feel that Listowel values their safety so well. Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

"With his vituperative comments Alfie2010 has denigrated all the people of Listowel. Like many others he is relying on the pejorative remarks of journalists and the judge.

Maybe, Alfie2010, you should realise that the entire story is not printed in the newspapers. "

Target Widow, you got the wrong end of the stick there. Lovely Writer, who has already clarified that he does not claim to be a "good Christian" or a spokesperson for the Catholic Church, was actually referring to the "story" of what Listowel people are like and what they are truly feeling. This was well voiced in Boroman's subsequent post. Lovely Writer was NOT referring to the victim or the perpetrator.

In answer to Alfie 2010, I would like to state that all the Listowel people of my acquaintance ( and I know quite a lot) would have the same mindset as myself, and in what I said in the previous thread would be merely reiterating many of their views. Remember only a very small number of people visit boards.ie to read or contribute.
    Also I would like to say that many, many residents of our lovely town retain as much common sense and charity which Alfie seems to assume that he is the unique possessor of.
    I would like to point out that Lovely Writer has nothing to do with the printing or publishing of the parish newsletter, he merely puts it up on the thread, and this I know is greatly appreciated by many ex pats around the globe, he also is not a cleric.
    And Target Widow, “meeting up” meant in friendship, as to your idea of “a show of awareness” I think sensitivity is needed now and some discretion, I have reason to believe that the family would wish to be allowed some space and privacy, so maybe less of media and public interference (and this means debating on boards as well) will allow them this.
    Now as the late Bryan Mc Mahon used say when we would meet,
    “make a statement”, this I have done and is my last comment on the matter.

Happy Christmas to all,

Nollaig shonasach agus athbhliain shuaimhneach,

From all in the Boro.

"Also I would like to say that many, many residents of our lovely town retain as much common sense and charity which Alfie seems to assume that he is the unique possessor of."

Nope, I never thought I was unique, I did voice my opinion and gave assistance in person to friends of the girl during carol singing, KRCC and some fundraising. I try to be a reasonable christian when I can. Those actions set me aside from the so called christians who nodded in dismay in listowel, however then sat on their ar**s rather than try and do some good. You know the ones, nudge nudge, "ah sure tis awful over a pint", but I 'll not say nothing. The do gooders who would be afraid what their neighbours thought of them if they had stood up for their own convictions. Lovely Writer is one of them, a do gooder who will be the first to point the finger at the victim as done here.Shame on you.You have no place in a christian society, still keep up the good parish work with your newsletter though.

Still, all is done now, and the shallow christians of Listowel will be at midnight mass tonight, to welcome Baby Jesus into the world. They will have a new PP to kneel in front of and the slate will be wiped clean. Maybe in another 100 years they may realise that the Catholic Church has been sodomising them and brainwashig them from knee high to adulthood. Then and only then will they be able to say enough is enough, we are not taking anymore. Until then it is just a matter of time, waiting to see who the next victim is in Listowel, and then we can all analyse, comment, shun and hide up the bishops ar*e again!

I didn't know that Listowel is getting a new PP.

I would like to clarify my situation regarding the parish newsletter.

A number of years ago Cherrytree used to scan the parish newsletter and sent it to the Sandhill Road who then put it up on the thread. After his untimely death, knowing how much the newsletter was appreciated by the Listowel diaspora, I arranged with the parish secretary to send me a copy of the newsletter which I then put up on the thread. I did not have any input into the content of the newsletter and when I posted the newsletter I never put anything else on those posts in case there was any misunderstanding and my contributions are thought to be something to do with the newsletter.

Later I will put up to two newsletters on a separate post that I have been sent, one for Christmas Day and one for next Sunday.

I also wish everyone who reads this A Very Happy Christmas.

UpTheAshes wrote: »
    I didn't know that Listowel is getting a new PP.

Let me reassure you, Ashes, our P.P. is still with us and well.
    I think that Alfie depended on the papers for his information and they do not always get it right.
    The Fr. Sheehy who recently stepped down from his parish ministry was not the parish priest of Listowel (as reported in many papers ) or even a priest of the diocese of Kerry. Fr. Sheeehy retired from a parish in the U.S. and was helping out in Castlegregory while the parish priest was recuperating from an illness.

Nollaig Shona

Abroad thoughts from home at this time of peace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that Alfie depended on the papers for his information and they do not always get it right.
    The Fr. Sheehy who recently stepped down from his parish ministry was not the parish priest of Listowel (as reported in many papers ) or even a priest of the diocese of Kerry. Fr. Sheeehy retired from a parish in the U.S. and was helping out in Castlegregory while the parish priest was recuperating from an illness.

Nollaig Shona

I think that the situation has been exacerbated by inaccurate press reports since day one. Even regarding the 50, I still don't know whether they were all men, or a mixture of men and women, as there have been conflicting stories.

At the end of the day, with the press, selling newspapers is the prime objective.

Nollaig Shona

I knew that Listowel is not getting a new PP, Cherry Tree. I also knew that Fr. Sheehy was allocated to Caslegregory and has stepped down. I just threw it out there for fun. Happy Christmas again to all.

Church Newsletters

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

Nollaig Shona

I am quite frankly very surprised at the progress that has been made in Listowel in the last forty years. Cronyism, nepotism and sexism used to supercede the rule of law with regularity. Now it appears we have the rule of law at the forefront and we should be thanking god that the judge and jury operated in accordance with the evidence presented. Can you imagine the headlines today if the values of forty years ago were exhibiited by the judge and jury in this case. Let justice run its course as it must. Merry Christmas to all and a happy New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Hasschu wrote: »
    Cronyism, nepotism and sexism used to supercede the rule of law with regularity.

Some would say that they still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Church Newsletters

Our congrats. to Maurice McMahon who has just published ' Mr. Mac: A Blackboard Memoir '.

As always, Lovely Writer, thanks for the Church Newsletter postings.

And, Alfie: Phoenix, AZ. doesn't need any drama. We can create our own & do not need to import. BTW, I would be glad to meet & chat with you when next you touch down upon our fair desert.

A Very Happy Christmas to All.

Church Newsletters

Our congrats. to Maurice McMahon who has just published ' Mr. Mac: A Blackboard Memoir '.

As always, Lovely Writer, thanks for the Church Newsletter postings.

And, Alfie: Phoenix, AZ. doesn't need any drama. We can create our own & do not need to import. BTW, I would be glad to meet & chat with you when next you touch down upon our fair desert.

A Very Happy Christmas to All.

It appears that Boards.ie won't accept publication of this, so, follow this link to a Listowel sister website, & read:

< http://groups.google.com/group/ListowelCoKerryIrelandHistoricalSociety/browse_thread/thread/5ae5356f1c325ca1 >

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/eoghan-harris/eoghan-har...

I posted in Boards.ie, the Listowel thread, but the post was censored,
    so, here it is anyway:

Ireland, Kerry, Listowel---Rise, Fight Back!

I have, over these past few years read the following books which
    either I picked up while visiting Listowel & Dublin, or had sent to me
    as gifts, or brought out here to Phoenix, AZ., by my brothers, as
    gifts:

1 ) The Builders
    2 ) Who really owns Ireland
    3 ) Bertie Ahern & The Dromchondra Mafia
    4 ) The Bankers--by Senator Shane Ross, which I have just finished.

Ireland: You have been duped, you have been pillaged more thoroughly
    than a Vikings' job, you have been cheated, you have been mis-
    governed, you have been shafted & raped.

And, what have you done? You lie passive & supine allowing these
    buggers to rule you, to be appointed to jobs with huge salaries, to
    have tribunals ( by a " Justice " system hardly geared to find the
    truth) that run on interminably & w/o anyone being send to gaol.

Was this what 1916 was all about?.

" A terrible beauty is born " wrote W. B. Yeats.
    More terrible than can have been conceived by him, me thinks,
    considering the false actions by your builders, bankers, politicians,
    etc., during the 1990s & ' noughties '.

Rise UP, Ireland, Kerry, Listowel: Throw those bastards out of office.
    Insist that honest men be appointed to jobs at banks, at regulators
    office, at the Civil Service.

The gods tell me that if ten ( 10 ) good men and/or women, that if ten
    ( 10 ) honest men and/or women, can be found in Ireland, that Ireland
    may be spared further pillage, humiliation, & laughter from a World
    bemused by all of this & the passivity of the Irish race.

Mise ' AnBealBocht ' on Boards.ie. Good luck, Listowel.

It appears that it was my ineptitude, rather than any censorship on the part of Boards.ie that resulted in my failure to upload this post initially.

My sincerest apologies, Boards.ie. ' I grovel in mortification '.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

I agree with the substance of that post. However if one is stuck in the middle of the forest the horizon is close and clouds ones vision. After reading this I understand why the overseas Irish do not have a vote in Irish elections at any level. The fact that you left the backwardness fraud and corruption behind is held against you. Even more unforgiveable is that you actually see things as they are. For myself I am not overly optimistic about the future of the country which is now deeply mired in socialized losses and privatized profits. Kleptocracy best describes the gov't we are subjected to. All wrong doing is glossed over, no inquiry, business as usual.

• Advertisement

Hasschu wrote: »
    I agree with the substance of that post. However if one is stuck in the middle of the forest the horizon is close and clouds ones vision. After reading this I understand why the overseas Irish do not have a vote in Irish elections at any level. The fact that you left the backwardness fraud and corruption behind is held against you. Even more unforgiveable is that you actually see things as they are. For myself I am not overly optimistic about the future of the country which is now deeply mired in socialized losses and privatized profits. Kleptocracy best describes the gov't we are subjected to. All wrong doing is glossed over, no inquiry, business as usual.

Alexis de Tocqueville, author of Democracy in America, said that “in a democracy, the people get the government they deserve.” ...

The Majority of the People have voted the present government. It has been obvious since the 1980s that corruption was rife. Many people in the " Galway Tent" are still in government and I have yet to hear any admission of selfish culpability.

Advertisement