Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Alexis de Tocqueville, author of Democracy in America, said that “in a democracy, the people get the government they deserve.” ...

The Majority of the People have voted the present government. It has been obvious since the 1980s that corruption was rife. Many people in the " Galway Tent" are still in government and I have yet to hear any admission of selfish culpability.

The ire fostering my post, the flames fanned by the books mentioned, recently read, has been rising since 2007.

On my annual visit ' home ' that year, I was staying with my brother near Dublin, the campaign for the General Election was drawing to a close, I avidly read the newspapers, watched the media, engaged in discussions re the election, was there for election day & the subsequent ' count ', & was disagreeably surprised by the outcome, given the amount of allegations of wrong-doings re Mr. Ahern & his cronies in Fianna Fail.
    I wondered how the electorate could return Fianna Fail ( albeit with help from the PDs , The Greens, & some Independents) to government and power. But they/you did!. [ I had, by then, read the book: ' The Builders ' by McDonald & Sheridan.]

Part of my frustration is due to the fact that I know full well that the same sort of thing is going on out here in USA, but the politicians seem to be entrenched in office, resistant to uprooting---there & here.

One might--tentatively--propose another 1916 or another 1776?.

Happy New Year x 2010 to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

Wishing all the very best from your friend in Boroland for 2010
    For the night that’s in it here’s the last verse of John Bs The Street.

A golden mellow peace forever clings
    Along the little street
    There are so very many lasting things
    Beyond the wall of strife
    In our beleaguered life
    There are so many lovely songs to sing
    Of God and his eternal love that rings
    Of simple people and of simple things

Thank you John B for the so many beautiful memories you have left with us. You truly were a lovely proud Listowel man.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

Happy New Year to all Here

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

A very happy New Year to all readers of and contributers to this thread. May Listowellians everywhere enjoy peace, good health and happiness in 2010. BTW will we say twenty ten or two thousand and ten?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church newsletter

• Advertisement

Although not suffering as much as other parts of the country, Listowel is in the grip of an icy spell. My pictured shows a frosty John B. statue.

Temperature today; Minus 6.7

This feels like one of the coldest mornings so far this Winter. Bob Dylan Fan would feel very at home here today.

Schools are closed until Thursday so I may get out with the camera. Trouble is these days that by the time I brave it down town a slight thaw has set in and things dont look so bad at all.

Lots of houses have no water. In some cases the mains are frozen.

Footpaths are particulary slippery.

But as the old people would say, "We never died a winter yet."

Beir Bua

Church newsletter

Some pictures taken this a.m. of the council gritting the roads

A Cold morning in the town square

• Advertisement

Listowel scene on one of these days that have been dubbed "too cool for school".

I put the pavement up twice instead of the one of the road gritting.

Lots of snow here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 upourdat

Happy New Year Listowel. It's cold here too, but I bet it feels alot colder there.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Yunalesca

Nice to see a listowel thread going!

Don't know if anyone is interested, but here's a link to some old archive photos of Listowel form days well gone by. There's some from the 50's there I think! http://www.kennellyarchive.com/search/?search=&year=&location=listowel&basic_search=Search

and if you recognize yourself or any of your relatives in there, you can buy prints of them too! I think that's pretty cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yunalesca wrote: »
    Nice to see a listowel thread going!

Don't know if anyone is interested, but here's a link to some old archive photos of Listowel form days well gone by. There's some from the 50's there I think! http://www.kennellyarchive.com/search/?search=&year=&location=listowel&basic_search=Search

and if you recognize yourself or any of your relatives in there, you can buy prints of them too! I think that's pretty cool!

The prices aren't cool though, are they?:eek:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The prices aren't cool though, are they?:eek:

hah! I didn't even bother looking!!!

as in, it didn't even cross my mind to purchase any... I'm 25 and I don't know anyone in the photos >.>

But I thought others might be interested!

Yunalesca wrote: »
    as in, it didn't even cross my mind to purchase any... I'm 25 and I don't know anyone in the photos >.>

But I thought others might be interested!

Not many can afford to know anyone in those photos.:eek:

I wouldn't buy one even if there was one of my granny sitting on the Pope's lap.

The weather is too inclement for me to venture down town but Listowel is a Winter Wonderland today. Here are 2 pics from my garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cois-na-Feile

listowel8 wrote: »
    the only people i remember in mckennas yard was mike wolfe,john sexton in the office mikey mahoney & his brother johnny ,g.dore,joe doyle.As far as faleys is concerned the only one i can remember is timmy lyons(mountcoal)and a mcgrath from up bedford who i just saw yesterday in the woodlawn area of the bronx waiting for a bus.as for latchfords there was mr.reidy his daughter kitty who did the books and of course ned shanahan the father of my mentor timmy at mckennas.john kirby came later.i left the town at 18 so 46 years ago is a long time to remember when it is hard enough to remember what we had for breakfast yesterday.I dont remember anyone at ranks,maybe boroman will know. ps. price of a pint ruby walsh won the kerry national again. weather still good.

jim moloney from trieneragh was foreman at latchfords farm

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Not many can afford to know anyone in those photos.:eek:

I wouldn't buy one even if there was one of my granny sitting on the Pope's lap.

It is good to have the information about the photographs. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss Cellaneous

Some photos taken Sunday
    How many of you remember the last time the river was frozen and we crossed on the ice at the pump house.
    This photo was taken at the pump house looking back up to the diving board.
    frozenriver.th.jpg

gurtinard.th.jpg

thesquarelistowel.th.jpg

Well Done Miss Cellaneous, you are a brave soul.
    Did you take a few more while you were out? These ones are only fabulous.
    I'm sure our scattered friends will marvel at the wintry conditions here.
    There are stories of people skating on the frozen river at sometime in the past. Thankfully no one was so foolish this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

I remember being lifted up to look through the tunnel formed by snow between the drip line of the roof overhang and the wall. My father could not go to work until an army truck convoy drove from Duagh into Listowel . My guess is that was Jan or Feb 1945. I was later told you could walk across the Feale near where the pedestrian bridge crosses from the Castle to the Race Course. This was before Mrs Hussey drafted me into Derrindaf (sp.)school.

It is good to have the information about the photographs. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy them.

Do you want information? Yes.
    Do you want extortionate prices? No.

When it was first launched, It was as if whoever launched it, wanted to give the impression that they were carrying out a public service, but then charging people €29.99 for an 8x12 print? I'd call that a rip-off.

Your website charges reasonable prices, so should they.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cois-na-Feile

Haschuu[/B]wondering what years you attended derrindafe school 1 was there in mid 40 and 50 didn't learn a whole lot foley had other things on his mind and teaching kids was not one of them

Some pictures I took on January 9 2010

2 more pictures for you

• Advertisement

Seeing Cois na Feile mention of Latchford’s has made me don my thinking cap again, Jim Moloney managed Latchford’s farmyard in Greenville, this yard is still there owned by the Sayers family, he was father to Paddy(postman) Woodford who with his wife Nell was a great friend of mine , Mick, who had the farm in Trieneragh and Moss, who had a shop in Duagh for years. Moss once showed me 2 football medals which he won, one with the Greenville school league team in 1927, his brother Mick was also on this team , and another one which he won with Listowel, when they won the County Inter. football in 1946. The Maloneys lived in Greenville in a double cottage back from the farm where they also ran a small shop.
    Faley,s hardware shop was where Liam Flaherty now has his nightclub. Pearsie Grey was manager there for years, Paddy Dalton who was shot in Gortaglanna and Tommy Walsh from Craughdarrig served at the counter in the early days, in the late 1940s and 1950s those who I remember in the shop are ,Tim Lyons (Mountcoal), Frank Thornton (Lixnaw) father of Frank Thornton of Dromin, Ml. Dowling (Lixnaw), Tim Shanahan ( who also worked in T.F.Cronins and McKennas), Jim O Neill (Ballygologue) and Tom O Carroll (Mountcoal), there were two ladies in the office, Peggy Bunyan of Convent Street and Bridie Culhane of Moyvane.
    Faley,s mill staff included the following, in the office, Dan Maher and Jim Sheahan, in the mill were , on the saw, Sean Kirby, planning and moulding, Bob Dore, in the yard were Joe Keogh, Paddy Flavin, Patsy Connor, Christy Keogh. Ned Pellican worked at Faley,s farm on the Ballybunion Road. These are who I can recall. In another post we might think of some who worked in Carroll’s (of course), J.P. Kennelly’s and TF Cronin’s.

Advertisement