Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 pauloc

Dooda's Rock
    4271426413_a05d105d49.jpg

Skehanierin Lower
    4266830290_8d149263e3.jpg

Dromin Lower by the Falls
    4265960499_8bbf6abc53.jpg

Listowel Golf Course
    4209008750_73067a72c0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Listowel looks like a scene from The Road.
    Lovely photos! Thanks for sharing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

Cois-Na-Feile
    I was at Derrindaf from 1945 to 1948, Mrs Hussey and her student assistant were like second mothers to me. I have very warm memories from that peiod. In 1948 we moved to Listowel where I battled with Mrs Crowley for a few days and was then transferred into Mr Walsh's class. Mr Walsh had taught my father and my memories are that he was an outstanding teacher. I had Brian McMahon for a year he was very interested in local culture and accents and I had a few sessions where he played tapes of my father singing/dancing and had me utter some phrases that were then going out of use such as "fotter oo doon", "fenery cuttin the fate".

Boroman- You are a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge about Listowel. I knew Patsy O'Connor, Christy Keogh, Paddy Flavin (Flahavin is how I heard it) Ned Pelican and his son Paud (Guinness). I am drawing a blank on TF Cronin's although it sounds familiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

Hasschu wrote: »
    Cois-Na-Feile
    and had me utter some phrases that were then going out of use such as "fotter oo doon", "fenery cuttin the fate".

A common reply might be "Fy do oo ashk?" or "Achewell a damm to yoo!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

T.F. Cronins was a fairly sizeable hardware shop, Ned O Sullivans man's shop and the betting office next door occupy the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cois-na-Feile

hasschu
    we went to Derrindaffe around same time. You probably tackled mrs McAnenry horse for her not sure thats the correct spelling for that fine lady. And you remember Foley and Dillon aka pompom.Were you one of the lads fighting for a view through key hole of Foleys door to see some action I think you pushed me away once for a look . Good memories You remember Barrys forge down the road from school well anway I went in checking out how to make horshoes thought I might one day become a blacksmith on my last visit I stepped on hot horseshoe and me no shoes changed my mind about becoming blacksmith walked around for a week with cauterized foot. I for one didn't learn a whole lot in derrindaffe my own fault and not much guidance offered. Left for States in 1954 sad times.Thanks to Boroman for all the info he has given us.

The following are houses in the town, all of which have had one thing in common.

Where am I.

(1) I once contained a fruit and veg. shop and apartments to let.
    (2) I have horsey connections.
    (3) I was once owned by someone with a clerical name.
    (4) I had an owner one time that had two wives.
    (5) I am small but am a sophisticated house.
    (6) I had a front room lodger who numbered Dev as a friend.
    (7) I had a neighbour one time who was a newspaper correspondent.
    (8) I was once a nursery.
    (9) I was next door to a dog that never barked.
    (10) I am now what my neighbour was once.

I do not think that these questions are too hard, anyone that think they have the answers may send them to emmetsabu@gmail.com
    We will keep the powder dry for a week or two.

Cois-Na-Feile
    I remember it as Mrs McEnerney, the school was under threat of closure at the time. My mother negotiated a deal with Mrs Hussey that myself and my sister would attend if Mrs McEnerney (who lived in Duagh?) drove us back and forth. I was 4 and my sister was 3 at the time. The Irish knew how to play the gov't even in those days. Later on a girl who was probably a couple of years older than us walked with us. I remember her as Mary Fitzgerald who had brothers and sisters around my age, one of the brothers was named John.I remember Barry's forge and a small grocer shop near by which had an orange in the window one day. Pilgrimages were made to observe the exotic object. I have no memory of Foley or Dillon since I left at age 6. I knew a Mick Dillon and a Bill Dillon who became an electrical contractor in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church newsletter

Maybe the newsletter will get a few more people visiting it to get divine inspiration for the quiz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MsSprog

Hello everyone, never did anything like this before but I'm from and living in Listowel and really enjoyed all the posts (well maybe not all!!) and decided to join in. I noticed that I'm in an old photo of the small square. Looking in Murray's window.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

hasschu,i had many great times in deeindaffe in my youth.even though we were towneys we had a farm next to barrys forge and many the times i spent in jack barrys house.It was a cousin of mine tommy sheehy that owned the sweet shop close by.It was one of the hussey lads that got the place when he died.I would always go there as he would leave me pick out my own favourite sweets usually bulls eyes or slab toffee.wonderful people around there the okeefee,maloneys ,griffins,gunns,cliffords,walshes,husseys and many more.

boroman wrote: »
    The following are houses in the town, all of which have had one thing in common.

Where am I.

I do not think that these questions are too hard, anyone that think they have the answers may send them to emmetsabu@gmail.com

YOU don't think the questions are too hard! I wouldn't say the same for the rest of us. Could the one thing in common be Listowel? That's about as far as I've got. Not only is the powder dry, so is my grey matter.
    Best of luck Pintman.

cherry tree, do I really sense a hint of desperation already, or is just cunning on your part, remember the little prayer that you were ready to invoke when the last quiz was up and running. You are the only one to have passed any comment so far, I wonder is everyone asleep or are they too busy looking up their numerous reference books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss Cellaneous

As if we hadn't enough tormentation with the snow and ice and no running water - now we have the dreaded Quiz. Boroman , you are evil, have you no soul?. I , like Cherry tree am also beginning to think the only connection is Listowel ...if indeed there is any rational connection .:confused: But now that it has begun I will persevere. If you should see me flitting around town "knocking on the doors and crying through the locks" take no notice, I'm just trying to find out 'who had two wives and was he a friend of Dev's'. Never mind I'll be all right again when this is over. :rolleyes:
    Let the fun begin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cois-na-Feile

could it be dan crowley had two wives JUST DAWNED ON ME SECOND WIFE WAS A GHOST DOES THAT COUNT

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ChurchStreet

Below is a paper cut out at the time of what I believe were the senior hurling and the junior football county champions from the Listowel Tech. Not quite sure what year though, 62 or 63 ish??

Either there are multiple answers to these questions or I am on the wrong track entirely :rolleyes:

Either there are multiple answers to these questions or I am on the wrong track entirely :rolleyes:

I will not be drawn into giving any clues, the 10 questions concern 10 different houses, and again I repeat, they all have one thing in common.
    I feel that this simple little quiz might last for a good few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

I will not be drawn into giving any clues, the 10 questions concern 10 different houses, and again I repeat, they all have one thing in common.

Boroman...a simple little quiz.i think not.
    I am as confused as everyone else.
    If you could clarify one point it may take some mystery out of this.
    When you ask where am i........are you still in Listowel?

• Advertisement

Where am I.

Maybe some of our new friends on the forum could help with these puzzlers. They definitely refer to an era before I came to town.

Clarifications needed:
    (2) Since the whole town has horsey connections you will have to be more specific.

(3) Was this man in possesion of two wives at the same time?
    (5) Define sophisticated
    (7) I have, on occasion, written to but not for a newspaper. Does sending a letter count as a correspondent?
    I think the dog that never barked is over the Central hotel. He sits beside the Maid of Erin.
    As you can see, I'm working hard on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

The more I look at this, the more confused I am.
    Boroman, this is evil!
    As to where you are.........off your rocker to call this a simple quiz.
    My transatlantic phone bill to my spies is spiking out of control.

Having read your many utterances I have come to the following conclusions.
    Our great friend Canon Linnane can pontificate on Sunday mornings about the Holy Trinity and other similar mystery’s and not a gig out of the lot of you, sitting there smiling, pretending you understand the whole lot, and now when poor old boroman tries to brighten up an otherwise dark and dreary post snowbound Listowel end of January with 10 simple little questions, there is a threatened mutiny on the Listowel thread.
    The usual suspects, i.e. ably led by cherry tree, price of the pint, miss cellanous and cois feile, already are pretending to be suffering from acute loss of the grey matter, no, I am not going to fall for their little tricks, as I have already said, no more clues.
    I have never heard the bate of it, pintman , put on the specs, I did say all the houses (all ten of them) are in the town. Another fellow is rambling about a wife who he thinks may have been a ghost, all I can say is, this is no ghost story (if you get my drift), while another is trying to put words into my mouth with mutterings of multiple answers (multiple answers how are you, I wouldn’t know one if it fell down on top of my head).
    The way things are going, I surely must be a strong fancy for sainthood for putting up with you lot.
    Away with you all now and go back to the study.
    Regards,
    Boroman.
    PS. And if ye all weren’t bad enough, along comes an email from ‘up the ashes’ going on about ‘has anyone taken a photo of the white rocks!!!!,
    I think tis rocks in the head ye have!!
    PPS. If this keeps up I will consider pulling out of town altogether, so you all better start treating me with the respect that I deserve. !!!!!
    ppps, Oops, I forgot to mention that the person to be deemed the winner will need to identify each of the houses along with what they have in common, otherwise it would be too easy.

This is driving me crazy so I'v decided to put an end to it .:eek: I have picked a connection - something the houses might have in common (probably way off the mark) and I'm gonna stick to it. I will make those answers fit the connection ( right or wrong) come hell or high water - you can get square pegs into round holes. ! :rolleyes: Mind you I am having trouble stuffing that front room lodger into a round hole and as for that dog...
    :D Maybe I should pick a different connection ?

This is driving me crazy so I'v decided to put an end to it .:eek: I have picked a connection - something the houses might have in common (probably way off the mark) and I'm gonna stick to it. I will make those answers fit the connection ( right or wrong) come hell or high water - you can get square pegs into round holes. ! :rolleyes: Mind you I am having trouble stuffing that front room lodger into a round hole and as for that dog...
    :D Maybe I should pick a different connection ?

You're right. That's the way to go. Here are a few suggestions for the connection;
    1. All houses are in the same street. Maybe The Small Square
    2. All houses were once owned by people who share a surname, maybe Stack, Enright, Carmody, Mc Elligott or some such "local" name.
    3. All of them are now shops/no longer shops.

That's my tuppence worth for now.

Cherry Tree I'm thinking maybe the house owners shared an occupation ! It's a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

I have the answer to the Quiz.

They are all HOUSES.

I am sure Boroman we tell us something else but I know that I am right.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Would the answer to Boroman's teasing quiz be that all of these houses are now looking at John B. Keane's memorial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

UpTheAshes wrote: »
    Would the answer to Boroman's teasing quiz be that all of these houses are now looking at John B. Keane's memorial?

You could well be right! There's a bakery there now and there was a Kerins' Bakery in the corner years ago. Sure only a postman, active or retired, could answer these questions with certainty.

• Advertisement

You could well be right! There's a bakery there now and there was a Kerins' Bakery in the corner years ago. Sure only a postman, active or retired, could answer these questions with certainty.

Aha, thank you John Granville. Now that settles it. It's the Small Square. Jewellery is surely the height of sophistication so that's Morkan's. Could the clerical name be Sheehy, since we once had a Monsignor Sheehy.
    Methinks Boroman is up to his tricks. Could the connection be very close to home. Do not many conributers to this thread have a Small Square connection?

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine. United we stand. Two heads are better than one and all the other proverbs are indeed true. Together
    we will outwit Boroman yet.

Beir bua!

Advertisement