Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Looking at all these pics from Listowel and Ballyb, a question occurs to me:

Doesn't ever rain in Kerry anymore? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

nedwalsh3ah.jpg

Post card from circa 1979 I guess

I love Terrace Talk! It was the first show I heard when I found Radio Kerry. I couldn't believe what I was hearing: two hours of five old-timers trading trivia questions about the 1946 All-Ireland Champions! :D

And Weeshie has that real thick Kerry accent. It was like I was 10 years old again when Weeshie was trying to get someone's attention and he practically barked at them, "Come here to me now!"

Radio Kerry had a half-hour show giving advice to farmers. the host would interview a Kerry farmer and that farmer sounded like half my relatives. :D

But I've lost track of that show. I don't know the name of it and nothing on the schedule looks familiar. :(

Looking at all these pics from Listowel and Ballyb, a question occurs to me:

Doesn't ever rain in Kerry anymore? :p

• Advertisement

devoninn9rd.jpg.

A night to remember.

devoninn23kc.jpg

You were there in 1979.

Anybody that you know here ?

charlesstreetgroup19416fz.jpg

limerick12yb.jpg

limerick723x1048723x10473rf.jpgc

Cherry Tree, what's going on with The Kerryman?

There's no Kerryman online. :( And Google can't find an explanation for why. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Cherry Tree, what's going on with The Kerryman?

There's no Kerryman online. :( And Google can't find an explanation for why. :confused:
    Seems to be there now.
    Have you heard of the new homepage.ie which you can set as your home page and it has all sorts of irish links on it and you can customise it for Munster and find all the papers etc.?

I keep using this:

http://www.unison.ie/kerryman/

But the November 10 issue has been there since, well.....the 10th.

:confused:

SNOWSCORPION quoted:

But the November 10 issue has been there since, well.....the 10th.
    __________________________-

Same here time to update cookie.

Thanks Cherry Tree for information on homepage.ie

Seems to be there now.
    Have you heard of the new homepage.ie which you can set as your home page and it has all sorts of irish links on it and you can customise it for Munster and find all the papers etc.?

I tried homepage.ie, CherryTree It's still bringing me Novermber 10th's Kerryman. I guess the problems must be at Kerryman's website.

On the other hand, homepage.ie looks pretty interesting.

I tried homepage.ie, CherryTree It's still bringing me Novermber 10th's Kerryman. I guess the problems must be at Kerryman's website.

On the other hand, homepage.ie looks pretty interesting.
    Sorry lads , it looks like its still Nov. 10. I never read the paper on line so I just saw the date at the top of the page and presumed that it was the paper for that date.
    The most up to date news in Kerry this a.m. is that its cold and frosty but we have no snow yet, unlike the top half of the country. Radio Kerry's headline is that Ned O'Sullivan got €80,000 for his year as mayor of kerry. That should tide you over until you get the Kerryman. I'm off now to earn a crust. a lot short of €80,000

devoninn9rd.jpg.

A night to remember.
    Yes I was there A great night

Anybody that you know here ?

charlesstreetgroup19416fz.jpg
    Is that Bunny Dalton in the middle in the back row?

Yes it is Bunny Dalton. I remember he had a band. I do not know who the other people are.All I think are from Charles Street. This photo is from the 1940s

Kerryman back up to date. Maybe they heard me complaining.

I hope everyone on the west side of the Atlantic had a Happy Thanksgiving.

I was starting to worry about you guys on the east side of the Atlantic Matt Drudge had a headline up about the frigid weather in Europe. But the Kerryman says temps in the low to mid-40s (f) for you this weekend. You have warmer weather than we do.

SS:
    recent photo of Horse Fair on market Street Listowl.Thanks to CT.

1166255252050bg2st.jpg

• Advertisement

The horse fair photo was taken in August and already one of the shops in the backround is sold. The Field pub is now Fitzgeralds restaurant. Halo night club is also for sale. Hard to keep up with the changes these days!

A NEW Keryman is on the net, read it before you loose it!

The horse fair photo was taken in August and already one of the shops in the backround is sold. The Field pub is now Fitzgeralds restaurant. Halo night club is also for sale. Hard to keep up with the changes these days!

Is this a good thing or a bad thing ... businesses chaning hands so quickly?

Is this a good thing or a bad thing ... businesses chaning hands so quickly?
    Bad thing. The pattern of shopping is changing. where once there were lots of small grocery stores, now we have 3 big ones. Super valu, the most popular, practically has a monopoly-never good. Lidl is the first multinational grocery shop and it has changed Listowel forever.
    Listowel now has lots of luxury goods shops e.g. interior design shops, ladies accessories, mobile phones etc. There are about 30 premises where you could buy your dinner but only about 5 where you could buy the ingredients to make it yourself. Bad,bad thing.

eyeflash1ky.gifeyeflash1ky.gifimg217eyeflash1ky.gif.imageshack.us/img217/2434/eyeflash1ky.gifeyeflash1ky.gif[eyeflash1ky.gif/IMG]bigwhitelargewebview4sy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Unless my cold deteriorates I'm off to Listowel area in the morning. Hope the weather is kind!

reic wrote:
    Unless my cold deteriorates I'm off to Listowel area in the morning. Hope the weather is kind!

Business or pleasure, reic?

Come to think of it, how'd you get a name like 'reic'?

Pleasure SS. A friend of mine just built a house a few miles from Listowel. My first visit to the finished product. Weather forecast not too good though. Was hoping to take a few photos in Listowel but I think Cherry Tree has it well covered!

Reic is a play on the word "wreck". Longish story.

REIC,
    as they say in Duagh, "Bon Voyage",

• Advertisement

BTW, the front cover of "The Holly Bough", a once every year Cork publication, has a picture of me on it!! Taken in 1965 skating on the Lough. That's me in the front, posing, lol.

hb05.jpg

Advertisement