Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

Programme of events from the College Centenary Celebrations, June 1979.
    Boroman probably has the score from the match between St. Michael's Past Pupils and Kilrush Shamrocks. Maybe he even played. Who lined out for the College?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Here is the story, Pintman

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/spending-a-penny-has-a-high-cost-for-listowel-2024835.html

Since then, moves are afoot to solve the problem but we are still left with the costly eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Here is the story, Pintman

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/spending-a-penny-has-a-high-cost-for-listowel-2024835.html

Since then, moves are afoot to solve the problem but we are still left with the costly eyesore.

While I understand the need for a public facility, this is crazy.
    Why not build something similar to what was there before,and hire someone to maintain.
    Creates a job and solves the problem.
    At 25 euro a pop, I'll bet there will be long list of candidates!
    You might even get a smile!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

While I understand the need for a public facility, this is crazy.
    Why not build something similar to what was there before,and hire someone to maintain.
    Creates a job and solves the problem.
    At 25 euro a pop, I'll bet there will be long list of candidates!
    You might even get a smile!

They could employ a guy to carry a bucket and toilet-paper around the town. He could look for people walking funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Tenderloins1

May be of interest to some of you. I just posted a piece on Tom Doodle and a pic of his 1951 Election rally. I also threw in an old class photo from the primary school in the 50s.

Link to Blog post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Folks

Just wondering if other than the listowel arms are there any other hotels in the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

hick wrote: »
    Folks

Just wondering if other than the listowel arms are there any other hotels in the town?

That's the only hotel as such. There are various places in town offering accommodation but I haven't a clue what they offer, how much they charge, or how good they are.

I'm certain that someone will eventually give you a proper answer.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'm certain that someone will eventually give you a proper answer.

98649.gif

Here's some info/reviews from Trip Adviser re Listowel accommodation.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotels-g211855-Listowel_County_Kerry-Hotels.html

• Advertisement

thanks for that, had seen it already but it's not quite bountiful :rolleyes:!!!
    Not a great fan of B&B's which is what seems to make up that list. Nearly always feel like you are in the way or that you can't relax throughly. I had a run in with a lady once, who decided to start banging the hoover off the door at 8.45 and when that was finished came in to the room to tell me breakfast would be finished at 9.00. I'd happily rent a house if there was one available.

hick wrote: »
    thanks for that, had seen it already but it's not quite bountiful :rolleyes:!!!
    Not a great fan of B&B's which is what seems to make up that list. Nearly always feel like you are in the way or that you can't relax throughly. I had a run in with a lady once, who decided to start banging the hoover off the door at 8.45 and when that was finished came in to the room to tell me breakfast would be finished at 9.00. I'd happily rent a house if there was one available.

You can never tell with B&Bs. One of our neighbours used to do it and her visitors were still chewing the bacon when they got turfed out at sunrise.:eek:

Try ringing an auctioneer e.g. Sherry Fitzgerald Dillon Prendiville on 068 21739. They may know someone with an empty property that needs an airing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss Cellaneous

check out this link...it might be what you are looking for.Friends of mine stayed there and highly recommended it

http://www.johnrs.com/accommodation.htm

thanks for that MissChievous, email sent to themwill see what comes back
    I beginning to think however we might as well head to ballybunion, if I remember correctly it's only 10 mins away, and I'm sure we'll manage a few late night taxis

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

:cool:The match that John Granville speaks of was played between Kilrush and a Shannon Rangers selection, Emmets were playing with them during this time, sorry to say like the old gunslinger I had my boots hung up at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

hello Hick,try this site www.kerryhols.com Stayed at this house twice in the last 3 yrs. about 2 miles on the listowel-duagh road.3 bedrooms and nice and quiet.good luck.

Church newsletter

Church newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss Cellaneous

Thank you Lovely writer, we can always depend on you :)

I am just after finsihing this whole thread from start to finish and it was a joy. I'm not Listowel myself but have in laws that are, even managed to find pictures of them, that they didn't have!
    I've posted a few old Listowel pictures from the 1950s that have not been on the thread here on my own site

Also should anyone have scans of election Literature Id love to get my hands on them (irishelectionliterature at gmail.com) . There was one in earlier on in the thread.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 budgen

Hi there listowel..just wondering would anyone have any information on my late grandfather frank sheehy. Sadly i never had the privilege of knowing him, just that he was a teacher...thanks

Th National Library online archive has plenty of old Listowel Pics

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RiverFeale

"May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow, and may trouble avoid you where ever you go"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

:eek:

200,000+ views!!

I'm jealous! Congratulations, Listowel Thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Hello, all.

A happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone.

So, the quiz is over. Sure, I knew the answers to every one.

To the person asking re Frank Sheehy: My name is Sheehy too, though not a relation to Frank. He taught me in 6TH Class at St. Mary's Primary School. He & his wife Suzy lived with his sister Eily Sheehy about 3 doors down from the school & about 3 doors up Upper Church St. from my grand-mother, latter 99 Church St.

The local Sports Field is named in his honour.

I knew his son Leo fairly well. His son Jack was less well-known to my generation.

There are references to him earlier in this thread.

Good luck.

I am just after finsihing this whole thread from start to finish and it was a joy. I'm not Listowel myself but have in laws that are, even managed to find pictures of them, that they didn't have!
    I've posted a few old Listowel pictures from the 1950s that have not been on the thread here on my own site

Also should anyone have scans of election Literature Id love to get my hands on them (irishelectionliterature at gmail.com) . There was one in earlier on in the thread.
    Thanks

Maybe we should scrap the real elections and have more bogus elections ?.

<

http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/tom-doodle-monster-election-rally-photo-listowel-1951-general-election/#comment-896 >

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

Frank Sheehy
    Frank was born in 1905 to John J.(b 1870) and Annie Sheehy.(b 1874) His father served as a drapery assistant in the town and his mother was a native of Tipperary. Frank was the youngest of 4 children, with a brother John (b 1898), Margaret(b 1899) and Ellen ( b 1901).
    He received his primary education at the National School, only 3 doors up the street, after this he attended St Michaels College where he would have been a classmate of Sheamus Wilmot among others. Having achieved an M.A. at University College Dublin he then applied for and was accepted to attend at St. Patricks Training College 1932-1934 to complete his studies to become a National Teacher. Among his colleagues at this time was the redoubtable Sean O Siochain, later to become a long time General Secretary to the Gaelic Athletic Association, who in a tribute to Frank in 1981 wrote, ‘I first made his acquaintance in 1932/1934 as a student teacher in the Primary School attached to St. Patrick’s Teacher’s Training College, in Drumcondra, Dublin, where Frank had established himself as one of the great Primary teachers of his time. In the following years, through the thirties and into the forties, we worked in after-school hours for the Comhar Dramaiochta, in the production and promotion of plays in Irish, he as runai and I as a junior actor and sometimes Bainisteoir Staitse. His high efficiently, his drive and his sense of humour streamlined many a situation for amateur actors which, otherwise might have been chaotic. During the forties, as Principal of an Endowed Primary School in Oldcastle, Co. Meath, gave him a distinction enjoyed by few in Primary Education, while his period in that part of Co. Meath, which coincided with that of the incomparable Paul Russell as Garda Sergeant, transformed the town and the district into a mini-Kingdom all their own’.
    He returned to his native town in the early 1950s and quickly immersed himself in the local club and county GAA scene. He became Chairman of the county board in 1953 and many would say that he indeed was the spark that ignited the Kerry Senior team to regain the Sam Maguire, the first since 1946. That year he also organised the golden jubilee of the county’s first All Ireland success in 1953and was also instrumental in initiating the scheme that allowed Kerry All Ireland medal holders the right to apply for two tickets whenever the county reached the final.
    He was appointed as principle of the senior boy’s school on his return to Listowel, a position he held until 1960. He served as Munster Council President from 1956-1958 and was narrowly beaten for the Presidency of the GAA by Dr.J.J.Stuart.
    On the recent occasion of Sean Walsh of Moyvane taking over as Munster Council Chairman, he hosted a wreath laying at Frank Sheehy’s grave, this was much appreciated and richly deserved.
    In 1961 he went to Nigeria, Africa, to take up a position of Professor of Educational Science at a training college in Asaba. He died there in 1962.
    Listowel sports field is named ‘Pairc Mhic Sheehy’ in his honour.

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

I had him in sixth class or grade eight as it is known in the rest of the world. A strong personality and a good teacher, he stood out in a field that included Brian Mac Mahon. A strong GAA supporter with an active social life which at that time consisted wholly of men smoking and imbibing the black stuff. His death was unexpected and he was missed by all of us.

• Advertisement

Church newsletter

...Thanks for this.

I expect that the Pope's Pastoral Letter will excite, & invite, more comment than usual this Sunday.

Advertisement