Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 budgen

A big thanks to all who replied ;)
    I was so delighted to hear what a wonderful man my grandfather seemed to be..my father was leo sheehy. he doesn't keep in touch so i couldn't find much information on that side of my family.
    I will be visiting listowel this easter weekend. So it will be nice to see my grandfathers home town..I myself come from buncrana in donegal where my grandmother susie barr ( whom i'm named after) came from...So thank again everyone..this listowel thread is brilliant:)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Lots and lots of lovely pics of the parade here
    http://www.listowelcameraclub.com/Listowelpatricks-001.htm

Thank you very much to the camera club.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

budgen wrote: »
    A big thanks to all who replied ;)
    I was so delighted to hear what a wonderful man my grandfather seemed to be..my father was leo sheehy. he doesn't keep in touch so i couldn't find much information on that side of my family.
    I will be visiting listowel this easter weekend. So it will be nice to see my grandfathers home town..I myself come from buncrana in donegal where my grandmother susie barr ( whom i'm named after) came from...So thank again everyone..this listowel thread is brilliant:)

When in Listowel this upcoming Easter weekend you might like to visit your grandparent's grave. The Graveyard is immediately south of The Frank Sheehy Sports Field and their grave is the very first grave on the right inside the main gate.

Enjoy Listowel. You will.

Maybe afterwards you would post here your impressions of our town?.

Thanks AnBealBocht for all that information. I will let you know on my return how my visit went.
    I'm so looking forward to it now as i've heard my mother talk very fondly of listowel in the past.
    I did stay in my grandfathers house in church street as a baby.
    Can you recommend any nice places to eat and have a drink? We are staying at the Listowel Arms Hotel..Thank you again:)

budgen wrote: »
    Thanks AnBealBocht for all that information. I will let you know on my return how my visit went.
    I'm so looking forward to it now as i've heard my mother talk very fondly of listowel in the past.
    I did stay in my grandfathers house in church street as a baby.
    Can you recommend any nice places to eat and have a drink? We are staying at the Listowel Arms Hotel..Thank you again:)

Glad to be of help.

For a drink or two, you will not go wrong if you drop-in to John B. Keane's Pub, or, ' Mike the Pies ', or Joe Broder's, though many more suggest themselves ( while much less than in ' the old days '.)

For your Listowel culinary experience I might suggest, if your taste-buds pine for fresh-water trout, sea-food, are of a contemplative, pensive , introverted nature, read prose but write poetry, the Ashes's fare @ Alo's Bistro, half-way up Church Street.

For slightly more robust Boro fare, perfect for the extroverted, the builder of Empire, the go-getter, I cannot think of better than to refer you to Casa Mia at the top of Upper William Street.

Schizo-gastronomes, like myself, have been known to dine at both places, often on alternate evenings. :-)

Have fun!.

Lawler's, in the Square, is nice too.

• Advertisement

< http://www.kennellyarchive.com/id/XDA025/ >

Much else in these archives also of many more pictures from the 1950s/1960s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss Cellaneous

Lots and lots of lovely pics of the parade here
    http://www.listowelcameraclub.com/Listowelpatricks-001.htm

Thank you very much to the camera club.

Thank you Cherry Tree for the link. As you say lots and lots of lovely pics :)

Today March 26 was National Daffodil Day. Here are some of the many hard working volunteers who helped with the fundraising.

Well done everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church newsletter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

a slurry spreader exploded in the main square today.not a pretty sight or smell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Sh!T Happens.

< http://www.kennellyarchive.com/id/XDA025/ >

Much else in these archives also of many more pictures from the 1950s/1960s.

< http://www.kerryguide.com/listowel/index.html >

Happy Summer Time come later tonight/early tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Denmark101

I know this happened a while ago but I'm new to boards.ie

I'd just like to congratulate the woman from Listowel who came forward after being sexually assaulted and brought her attacker to justice, and that she should be proud of herself dispite the lack of support shown by some of the towns people. Well done and stay strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Any photos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Any photos!!

I think it "tipped over" because the guy towing it was driving his tractor like sh1t off a shovel. I think the use of the word "exploded" is a bit of an exaggeration.

No doubt some photos will appear in the near future, one of these showing some poor devil's car caked in the stuff (according to an eye-witness).:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Picman

th_1269884104_DSCF6679.jpg

th_1269884236_DSCF6680.jpg

th_1269884334_DSCF6681.jpg

th_1269884425_DSCF6682.jpg

just passing through, the slurry tank broke the tree on the left of picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

If Bugen rewinds the thread back to page 123, on this page you will find a photograph of the 75th anniversary of the Listowel GAA in 1960, Frank Sheehy is in the front row. Hope we meet up with the Sheehy’s at the weekend.

Picman wrote: »
    109083.jpg
    just passing through, the slurry tank broke the tree on the left of picture.
    What exactly happened!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Picman

looks like the tractor and slurry tank were going a bit too fast to negotiate the bend, and the tank came off the hitch and turned over.spilling all its contents. the tree was the only casualty,traffic had to be diverted around the other side of the church. but it left a bit of a stink in the Square.

Thanks Picman,and welcome to boards!:)

• Advertisement

Here are some scenes from today's horse fair.
    Happy Easter to everyone who reads this.

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

looks like the tractor and slurry tank were going a bit too fast to negotiate the bend, and the tank came off the hitch and turned over.spilling all its contents. the tree was the only casualty,traffic had to be diverted around the other side of the church. but it left a bit of a stink in the Square.

Click on this link I put up on You Tube (Slurry Tank). I post some photos tomorrow !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBY7VZT3uzw

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

:D

I walked through the Square a week ago today. All was peaceful and quiet. No stink at all, I'm happy to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Church newsletter

Why the :mad:? :confused:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Why the :mad:? :confused:

When I put up the newsletter every week I have always refrained from any personal comments. Unfortunately this week Homer Nodded.

I hope that the inadvertent addition was not seen as any sort of comment by me.

I Recently visited Listowel on a weekendbreak as i was researching the Sheehy family history. I have been to many places but have never before been met with the warmth and friendlinest from the people of Listowel. The hotel we stayed in was beautiful and the pubs were lively. I would also like to say a big thank you to boroman and churchstreet whom i met up with and were so welcoming and gracious to me. Listowel is definitely a place that i will be returning to.

Church newsletter

• Advertisement

Here we go again....

Advertisement