Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Why the sad face? That road needed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

cyning wrote: »
    Why the sad face? That road needed it!

While the road improvement is long overdue and more than welcome, the disruption to traffic and trade is an unfortunate by product.

On a more cheerful note here is a welcome sight; a new shop-

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

I think there is a certain irony in all the photographs of the road construction in Listowel and the signature at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

On a more cheerful note here is a welcome sight; a new shop-

I thought it was a dating agency.

Listowel Town Council staff work flat out to repair the road.

• Advertisement

Church Newsletter

The Polski sklep is now called Delicates.

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Hi all,
    Just to let everyone know i'm alive and well.
    Back in NY after an extended holiday in listowel due to the volcano.
    Had a good time reconnecting with old friends.
    Hope to be back for the races.
    Stay well.

Pintman.

These two civic minded ladies were spotted doing a good job of prettifying The Square tonight.

• Advertisement

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

These two civic minded ladies were spotted doing a good job of prettifying The Square tonight.

....and prettified by their very presence.

Very best regards to all in Listowel.

budgen wrote: »
    I Recently visited Listowel on a weekendbreak as i was researching the Sheehy family history. I have been to many places but have never before been met with the warmth and friendlinest from the people of Listowel. The hotel we stayed in was beautiful and the pubs were lively. I would also like to say a big thank you to boroman and churchstreet whom i met up with and were so welcoming and gracious to me. Listowel is definitely a place that i will be returning to.

I, too, find that Listowel people are ' welcoming & gracious ' to me when this Sheehy returns for a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 g5

Hi,Can anyone help?
    I am trying to research William Kearney who lived in Church street,Listowel.1946,
    Married a girl called Mary Patricia,maiden name Leahy.
    Just came across this thread by chance,
    Would so much appreciate help.
    Thanks gill,
    ps cant belive this thread exists

Church newsletter
    The Sunday 8:00am Mass for ' Frank Sinatra '?.
    Did not know that ol' blue eyes had maintained a ' pied-a-terre ' in Listowel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

The Sunday 8:00am Mass for ' Frank Sinatra '?.
    Did not know that ol' blue eyes had maintained a ' pied-a-terre ' in Listowel.

You’ve left the town a long time ago or you’d know that Ol’ Blue Eyes was a regular fixture in Listowel. He could often be seen at the Astor Cinema or, at weekends, in Walshe’s Ballroom where the upbeat “Bad, Bad Leroy Brown” of the early dances gave way to the slower but irregular beat of “For Once in My Life” at the business end of the night. God, it was hard to keep time to that while trying to think of something intelligent to say to impress your partner.

He featured regularly, crooning gently, as he and others surveyed the scene at the busy intersection of McKenna’s Corner. Surely you must have seen his photo among the quiffed hairstyles (his pre-toupee days) of the “Tech” boys in Kennelly Archives? (Buddy Holly went to St. Michael’s and Lana Turner to the Pres.) Elvis Presley was a regular visitor also and I occasionally see some middle-aged gents about the town who look suspiciously like him.:D

Francis Albert Sinatra died on May 14 1998 and I’ve noticed that mass has been said for him at this time each year for the past while. Some contributor to Boards will know the full story, I’m sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 luckie

hi,
    With regards to Frank Sinatra mass i believe Fr. Donal has some connection to family and says mass for him every year.

Just to let ye all know Scoil Realta na Maidine boys School has launched a new website with a lot of old school photos on the website for past pupils to browse .... www.scoilrealta.ie
    regards
    luckie

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RiverFeale

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/index.html

Additional records for Dublin City,Carlow,Cork(City and West Cork) and Kerry will be available from 16 June 2010. 1901 Census material from National Archives will be available towards the end of June 2010. http ://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

Church newsletter

Church newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Francis Albert Sinatra died on May 14 1998 and I’ve noticed that mass has been said for him at this time each year for the past while. Some contributor to Boards will know the full story, I’m sure.

fr donal is a big frank sinatra fan and wrote to nancy after his death (no previous contact with family)

he promised to say an anniversary mass for him every year

sam34 wrote: »
    fr donal is a big frank sinatra fan and wrote to nancy after his death (no previous contact with family)

Considering ' ol' blue eyes ' propensity to marry early & often { the first Mrs. Frank [ Sinatra], Ava [ Gardner], Mia [ Farrow], & ultimately , Barbara [ Marx]} it was wise of Fr. Donal to express his sympathy with Francis Albert's daughter, Nancy ( whose boots were made for walkin'), thus solving a problem in Hollywood upon the demise of an admired multi-married star of stage & screen.

If only Elvis had been Catholic.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Considering ' ol' blue eyes ' propensity to marry early & often { the first Mrs. Frank [ Sinatra], Ava [ Gardner], Mia [ Farrow], & ultimately , Barbara [ Marx]} it was wise of Fr. Donal to express his sympathy with Francis Albert's daughter, Nancy ( whose boots were made for walkin'), thus solving a problem in Hollywood upon the demise of an admired multi-married star of stage & screen.

If only Elvis had been Catholic.....

frank sinatra was married to mia farrow????? :eek:

never knew that!

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

A little birdie has told me that a Listowel Literary Town Walk will take place on Sunday June 6th at three thirty p.m. The walk, held in conjunction with Writers Week, will start at the Listowel Arms and will wind its way through the streets with 21 stops at which point homage through story and song will be paid to our different wordsmiths, a great afternoon of reminiscing and fun is looked forwarded to. Led by Vincent Carmody, the readings will be by the following, recently retired teacher from the Presentation Secondary School and camera woman extraordinaire, Mary Cogan, Mary will read on, O Rahillys of the Square, the blind Poet and Journalist, D. C. Hennessy of William Street and Louis Murphy of Courthouse Road, one of the founders and first Chairman of Writers Week, Louis wrote extensively under the penname of Redmond O Hanlon.
    Paddy Keane, now of The Meadows, Bridge Road and formally of 76 Church Street will read from and at the following locations, Bryan Mc Mahon’s, Storyman, at the Market Gate, Jack Ashes, The place we call the Gleann, outside the former Ashe home in Convent Street, a poem entitled The Printers on the Tack will be read outside the former home of long time printers, the Cuthbertson family in William Street and Paddy’s readings will culminate with pieces from Jimmy Wilmot’s, the Splendid Pretence, and Joseph O Connors, Hostage to Fortune, outside these two writers former homes in Church Street.
    Vincent Carmody will contribute with some stories, on the former Fitzgibbon house in The Square and its connection with George Sands, the story of Bridget Scanlon, star of the silent screen Mary Pickford and her Convent Street connections, Tim Enright, scholar and Marxist of William Street, remembering T.F. oSullivan and Dan Hanrahan of Charles Street, Fr. Tony Gaughan and the Rendezvous connection, a poem The Labour Exchange, written by Jim Roche and finally a reading of John Bs, The Street.
    The songs will be from the beautiful voice of the lovely Mary Moylan of Cherry Tree Drive and will include, My Silver River Feale sung at the car park in Convent Street overlooking the racecourse and river, the song Queelty which will be sung outside John Bs and Lovely Listowel will be sung outside Bryan McMahons old home in Church Street.
    Paddy Fitzgibbon will read from one of his own works outside his former home in William Street and it is hoped that there will be humorous and interesting interaction between the participants during the course of which should be a lively afternoon.

The church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

sam34 wrote: »

Hey sam,are u originally from listowel yourself?

Here we are finishing up our most enjoyable and informative walking tour. A big thank you to everyone who worked hard to make it a very pleasant afternoon for us all.

• Advertisement

team.jpg

Advertisement