Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Ger Kennelly sourced this old photo of girls from Listowel Convent Primary school. Can anyone shed any light on year or names?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

Ger Kennelly sourced this old photo of girls from Listowel Convent Primary school. Can anyone shed any light on year or names?

Ask Peggy O'Dell (Moloney) of Charles St. I'm sure that's Peggy just behind notice on the left. Interesting photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Ask Peggy O'Dell (Moloney) of Charles St. I'm sure that's Peggy just behind notice on the left. Interesting photo.

If Peggy is in the photo...in 2nd class.....then the rest of the names would be available from the roll book, which are kept in the convent.....it would then be a matter of matching face to name.

(look at the size of the classes then!!!!! 50+)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

Hey guys you're probably the best to ask - just wondering if any of you has heard anything about the new North Kerry's Voice paper due out today? There's no sign of it! Anybody know what the story is?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Thank you, Lovely Writer for posting the Rugby photo.I believe I can help with the IDs of two of the players on the 1975 U12 Rugby team. If I'm not greatly mistaken -???? Long is Ronan Long from Greenville, and Barry ???? is Barry O'Halloran from the Bridge Rd. Both lads are in the front row.

• Advertisement

thinktwice wrote: »
    Hey guys you're probably the best to ask - just wondering if any of you has heard anything about the new North Kerry's Voice paper due out today? There's no sign of it! Anybody know what the story is?:rolleyes:

The launch date for the new newspaper has been put back until later on in June.

I wish the young people well in their brave venture.

Yesterday the North Kerry branch of the M.S. Society organised a very successful busking day in The Small Square. Here are some pictures of some of the musicians and volunteer fundraisers.

Here are some more pictures from yesterday when local drivers and pedestrians responded so generously to the fundraiser fror M.S. services in the North Kerry area.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church newsletter

Church newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 warboy

Hi All,

I'm trying to piece together some bits and pieces about Tony McAuliffe of Listowel Emmets. The following is a picture from the GAA website with the Kerry team of 1939 on the deck of a ship - I believe Tony is in the picture and can guess which one he is but anyone know for sure which one he is?

http://www.crokepark.ie/gaa-museum/gaa-archive/purchases/archival-photographs/black-and-white-photograph-of-the-1939-kerry-footb

Perhaps it's bringing them to NY for the game in May 1939?

Clips from the game are shown here in this rare footage - http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=8021. Again is Tony identifiable in the film ? Note fullscreen option is avaiable - but faces are hard to see.

As an aside - you might all enjoy the comment on : http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=11629 from British Pathe's archivist "Not sure if Ballybunion is in Northern Ireland or Southern Ireland (Republic of Ireland, Eire, Irish Republic) - can't find it on the map. Perhaps it is some kind of joke?"

Ta for any info (if only there was a local historian who know something about Emmets)
    Warboy

On Weds night next, in the clubhouse there is to be an account of the history of Listowel Emmets by Vincent Carmody and Junior Griffin as a prelude to the talk by Tim Pat Coogan on Robert Emmet. Maybe your questions could be answered there.
    warboy wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm trying to piece together some bits and pieces about Tony McAuliffe of Listowel Emmets. The following is a picture from the GAA website with the Kerry team of 1939 on the deck of a ship - I believe Tony is in the picture and can guess which one he is but anyone know for sure which one he is?

http://www.crokepark.ie/gaa-museum/gaa-archive/purchases/archival-photographs/black-and-white-photograph-of-the-1939-kerry-footb

Perhaps it's bringing them to NY for the game in May 1939?

Clips from the game are shown here in this rare footage - http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=8021. Again is Tony identifiable in the film ? Note fullscreen option is avaiable - but faces are hard to see.

As an aside - you might all enjoy the comment on : http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=11629 from British Pathe's archivist "Not sure if Ballybunion is in Northern Ireland or Southern Ireland (Republic of Ireland, Eire, Irish Republic) - can't find it on the map. Perhaps it is some kind of joke?"

Ta for any info (if only there was a local historian who know something about Emmets)
    Warboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 warboy

On Weds night next, in the clubhouse there is to be an account of the history of Listowel Emmets by Vincent Carmody and Junior Griffin as a prelude to the talk by Tim Pat Coogan on Robert Emmet. Maybe your questions could be answered there.

Thanks Cherry Tree. Sounds spot on. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend but maybe someone could record it - If only British Pathe were still in the area.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Why do shops in Listowel close on Mondays?
    I remember it being like that a few years ago but didnt think they still do it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Why do shops in Listowel close on Mondays?
    I remember it being like that a few years ago but didnt think they still do it today.

Old habits die hard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Old habits die hard.

and slowly it seems :p

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    and slowly it seems :p

I'm certain that every Listowel retailer wouldn't mind working themselves to death so's you can browse their stores on a Monday. Seeing their sad faces might trigger sympathy and, out of sheer guilt, you might actually buy something to make their Mondays worthwhile.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Nellers

I've always wondered if the half day was a Wednesday (like it used to be in Tralee years ago), would the shops still close? It must be amusing to tourists that stop off in Listowel square as to why most of the shops are shut.

If they're going to have a half-day, it would better for them if they followed some other European countries, and closed on a Saturday afternoon.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Once again Listowel has shown itself to be ahead of the pack with the introduction (years ago) of the three day weekend. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday-shops closed.

• Advertisement

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If they're going to have a half-day, it would better for them if they followed some other European countries, and closed on a Saturday afternoon.:P

While I experienced it for long enough, even as a child, and as a son of a shop-keeper in Listowel, I always thought that a half-day in mid-week would have made more sense.

As always, LovelyWriter, thanks for the Church Newsletter.

AND, just made reservations for my annual trip ' home ': Late July to mid-August.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

I might be able to help out the frustrated Warboy with his football query, Tony Mc Auliffe of Charles Street played at right half forward on the Kerry team beaten by Galway in the replayed All Ireland final of 1938.
    The Kerry team was as follows:
    W.Kinnerk (capt.), D.O’Keeffe, P.Brosnan, W.Myers, W.Casey, W.Dillon, T. O Connor, J.Walsh, Sean Brosnan, P. Kennedy, A. McAuliffe, C. O Sullivan, M. Doyle, M.Regan, T. Regan.
    Both teams were invited to play an exhibition match in New York the following late spring. The photograph which he has was indeed taken on board the boat which they travelled on.
    Kerry went on to win the 1939 All Ireland beating Meath.
    Hope this info. prevents from Warboy from pulling his hair out.
    Tony is first on left, kneeling.

Question, who in Listowel football lore was known as “ the daisycutter” and why?

:mad::mad:All Ireland Football Final 1938.

An interesting aside to the 1938 final is as follows,
    The final ended in a draw, Kerry 2;6, Galway 3;3, in the replay Galway had the better of the exchanges and led by 2;4 to 0;6 with 3 minutes remaining when an extraordinary incident occurred. The referee blew for a foul and the crowd thinking the game was over surged on to the grounds. After a lot of confusion the field was cleared but it was found that that a number of Kerry players thinking the game was over also had left the grounds. A number of substitutes were called in to make up the team and in the remaining time Kerry scored a point to reduce the deficit to a goal by the time the final whistle blew.
    Was it not always, the Kingdom vs everyone else !!!

Anybody with an answer to my question, who and why was the person called "the daisycutter"?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

boroman wrote: »
    :mad::mad:All Ireland Football Final 1938.

An interesting aside to the 1938 final is as follows,
    The final ended in a draw, Kerry 2;6, Galway 3;3, in the replay Galway had the better of the exchanges and led by 2;4 to 0;6 with 3 minutes remaining when an extraordinary incident occurred. The referee blew for a foul and the crowd thinking the game was over surged on to the grounds. After a lot of confusion the field was cleared but it was found that that a number of Kerry players thinking the game was over also had left the grounds. A number of substitutes were called in to make up the team and in the remaining time Kerry scored a point to reduce the deficit to a goal by the time the final whistle blew.
    Was it not always, the Kingdom vs everyone else !!!

Anybody with an answer to my question, who and why was the person called "the daisycutter"?

Way too obscure for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

High today here was 102 degrees....even too hot to go to the pool.
    Not kidding
    Anyone else on the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kerrymum

where is the current newsletter? : (

I am sorry from the absence of the newsletters from the last two weeks. For some reason I was not able to get my usual e-mail for the last two weeks while I am in hospital. (Nothing serious, just routine MOT). I hope I will be in a position to post the newsletter next weekend.

The weather deteriorated when I came into hospital so I hope it will improve from Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Newsletter attached Regards to Lovely Writer hope MOT goes OK

• Advertisement

Best wishes to lovely writer, was missed from the team, hope that you will be fit and ready for the next round of the qualifiers. !!!

Advertisement