Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

And the effect it has on all businesses on market street. And the fact there was horses on the pavements and people with buggies couldn't get through the town. Oh and the poor horses still tied to lampposts at 6pm :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

cyning wrote: »
    And the effect it has on all businesses on market street. And the fact there was horses on the pavements and people with buggies couldn't get through the town. Oh and the poor horses still tied to lampposts at 6pm :rolleyes:

On the morning of the horse fair I went all along the footpath in Market Street in my wheelchair without difficulty. In fact there were a number of people in wheelchairs looking at the activities. There were no horses on the footpath on the McKenna's side of the street. In fact there were barricades up to prevent the horses from going on the footpath.

It was a lovely interesting scene made better by the beautiful weather.

In the newsletter last week, there were details of where the newsletter is available on the diocese of Kerry website. I was not sent a copy of the newsletter this weekend. It is available at http://www.dioceseofkerry.ie/parish.php?parish=Listowel&sec=news

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

I wish to concur and endorse lovely writers remarks on the Horse Fair. I can confirm the Urban Council workers had from early morning erected barricades at the roads edge on both sides of the street, on McKennas side from the William Street junction back to Convent Street and the other side from William Street back as far as the Market. This allowed free movement on either side. Apart from the novelty and enjoyment it gave older people I would also say that it creates an unique experience for the many children present during the day, coming from school or been brought down by their parents. From four o clock on, the Council had started the tidy up and this included washing down the street. I walked down Market Street at six thirty and the place was spotless, great credit to our local council workers. Long may this great traditional fair survive, we hear enought about doom and gloom currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭2hellr2conaght

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Anyone familiar with the Woodford area in Listowel? My wife and I were looking at buying a house and saw a lovely one there. Only concern is that there are a few other new houses nearby with caravans out the back. Another house has a caravan on the street in front of the house. What's the story there?

I am living in Listowel for 3 years now and would not suggest buying a house. I have rented and lived in three houses. Rent has gone from 750-550 and I am currently in a show house. If I was to buy this house my repayments would be 1,100 euro and I would be stuck in it for at least ten years. No matter how much value you think you are getting on 'boom time' prices the fact remains that in two years time you will be able to get a house in Listowel for 80,000 - 100,000 euro, thats 33% less than todays values. There are 342 properties in Listowel on DAFT.IE today. You can do the maths. Is rent dead money?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

i was going for a walk around the town last night about 9 o clock.i passed a local business premises just off the main street and witnessed a full blown party being attended by 15-16 year old girls and boys.
    now i must stress that this business is not a pub,nor is there a pub either side of it.the carry on of the kids attending it was nothing short of disgraceful,they were all drinking and loud.they had the blinds on the window open and you could see them all inside.the window is the same height as the front door and about 10 feet wide.
    from what i have found out today its not the first time this has occured.i didnt ring the guards but i will be ringing the proprietor tommorow seeking an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

i was going for a walk around the town last night about 9 o clock.i passed a local business premises just off the main street and witnessed a full blown party being attended by 15-16 year old girls and boys.
    now i must stress that this business is not a pub,nor is there a pub either side of it.the carry on of the kids attending it was nothing short of disgraceful,they were all drinking and loud.they had the blinds on the window open and you could see them all inside.the window is the same height as the front door and about 10 feet wide.
    from what i have found out today its not the first time this has occured.i didnt ring the guards but i will be ringing the proprietor tommorow seeking an explanation.

Stop being such a party-pooper, they were probably high on Nash's Red Lemonade.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

boroman wrote: »
    Interesting what you say about the street view, question? how does one access it.

Once you have street view up and running, if put your cursor on the bottom half of the screen and double-click, you can go for a "cyber-walk" around the town.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Stop being such a party-pooper, they were probably high on Nash's Red Lemonade.:P
    try bottles of cider and vodka.and they were 15 year olds.maybe you have no issue with kids drinking but i do!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

try bottles of cider and vodka.and they were 15 year olds.maybe you have no issue with kids drinking but i do!

Of course I've got issues with kids drinking, and also kids taking drugs, and I'd like to know what's actually being done about it, because they seem to have no problems getting their hands on anything they want, despite a Garda presence in the town.

• Advertisement

If michael999999 is really concerned, and as he seems to have so much information as to the partygoers ages and the type of drinks they were consuming then in my humble opinion he should cut the tickle tackle as to "ringing the proprietor" take positive action and contact the Gardai, otherwise it will remain as idle gossip.

Nothing worse than gossip. But to be honest you all seem like good, honest and community focused people (I'm going on your posts here). What age did each of you here have your first drink? I was 14.

Church newsletter

boroman wrote: »
    If michael999999 is really concerned, and as he seems to have so much information as to the partygoers ages and the type of drinks they were consuming then in my humble opinion he should cut the tickle tackle as to "ringing the proprietor" take positive action and contact the Gardai, otherwise it will remain as idle gossip.
    if i can see the kids drinking on the street the guards must have seen them,the business premises is within metres of a back way that the guards use as an entrance to the rear of the station.if you are a local you will know exactly the street and back way im talking about.
    i have rang the premises today but they were closed.i will be trying again tomorrow.from what ive heard its not the first time.
    i can p.m. you the details of the premises if you so wish boroman.i can assure you this is not idle gossip.

Ya that was a rookie move michael999999. The old half day and all that.Didn't think you'd fall for that one, ringing on a Monday. Although I was put out of John B's today at 1 o'clock with only one Guinness down me so I can't really talk.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ChurchStreet

if i can see the kids drinking on the street the guards must have seen them,the business premises is within metres of a back way that the guards use as an entrance to the rear of the station.if you are a local you will know exactly the street and back way im talking about.
    i have rang the premises today but they were closed.i will be trying again tomorrow.from what ive heard its not the first time.
    i can p.m. you the details of the premises if you so wish boroman.i can assure you this is not idle gossip.

I would report it to the Guards Barracks as suggested by Boroman, ask for the Sgt or Super. I would forget about contacting the premises, you might only cause yourself difficulties. Law and order must be upheld.

Church Newsletter

Hi all,

I have a package from Eircom at the moment but it is working out at nearly 60 euro a month. It includes calls but I only call the Sky Palace with it so I don't relly need it. Does anybody have an alternative broadband supplier with a good signal in Dromin Upper?

Thanks

im down the road from you and im with vodafone,the same service for 50.no problems with the last 2 years.

what about smart telecom 10mb for 39euro i think. do i have to pay line rental ontop of 39?? cheers

• Advertisement

Church Newsletter

I was with BT and got broadband/ free local, national and UK calls for something on average over 50 a month including line rental, now I am with Vodafone as they have taken over from BT, still retaining the same packet, last month I got a pleasant surprise, vodaphone contacted me, asked me was I happy with my service and would I be staying with them, saying yes, they then told me that they were rewarding me by giving me 100 minutes free per month to either America, Europe or Australia going forward, am I a happy camper ?, as good as been in Dail Eireann !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ChurchStreet

I wish Michelle and Larry Buckley well in their endeavours. Its great to see peolpe giving things a go, despite the recession.

I would like to add my congradulations to Michelle, Larry and the young lady also, its nice to see new young blood coming into the street, we also look forward to the re-opening of The Star and Garter, to hell with the recession

Looked in to see Larry and his new shop today, the road works outside the shop are not a great help, however these will be completed by the weekend.

I like the title of the message from boroman about the new butcher shop in Church Street.

Maybe we will be able to get black pudding and even Drasheen (for the Cork people living in Listowel)

Church Newsletter

Church Newsletter

Church newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Church newsletter

Thanks for continuing the church newsletter.
    I heard it is now available on line via the church web site.
    But i find it easier to go to boards to see other postings about Listowel.
    Keep it up!
    Up Cork!!....and i hope you got Drisheen!!

Advertisement