Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Best wishes to all.
    Stay warm and watch your step on the ice.

Pintman

A plea to Boroman to start a quiz of some fashion.
    Cabin Fever is setting in.
    We need something to occupy our time.

Heard through the grapevine that the esteemed Boroman is on his holidays "out foreign".
    Enjoy your trip and watch out for the natives.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

To The Windy City I was Told...But I could Be wrong...I am Back....I just came out of Hibernation and I was told that the Fatherland is covered in Snow...whats that all about...Did I miss something?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark142857

A very Happy New Year to everyone in Listowel. Looking forward to visiting again in March 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Janemac

Here we go:

In the first photo from left to right, my Beloved Father Teddy Moloney, then Bunny Dalton, and Bunny's two sons Tommy and Buddy - all of the Bunny Dalton Band.

Second photo: Doc Enright, then my character of a grandfather Chum (James) Moloney, Mrs. Enright and their daughter Peggy.

Third photo is of The Chum and John Pa Devero

Hi

My dad was part of the Dalton family. He was bought up by Bunny and his wife. I lost my dad 2 years ago and am desperate for information on his upbringing and any family that may still be in and around Listowel. My dad left all his childhood stuff for me but to cut a long story short I have not been able to look at it. I would really appreciate any help you can give me with this - it would be wonderful to connect with anyone that has memories of my dad Michael. He was born 7th September in (I think) 1934 to Emily Dalton who was one of twins.

Thank you

Jane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

Heard through the grapevine that the esteemed Boroman is on his holidays "out foreign".
    Enjoy your trip and watch out for the natives.

I think the Irish proverb "An té a bhíonn siúltach, bíonn sé scéaltach" fits Boroman admirably. Hope he enjoys his trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

are you on Facebook, If so I will put you onto the dalton family, I know them well and you can view some photos
    Janemac wrote: »
    Hi

My dad was part of the Dalton family. He was bought up by Bunny and his wife. I lost my dad 2 years ago and am desperate for information on his upbringing and any family that may still be in and around Listowel. My dad left all his childhood stuff for me but to cut a long story short I have not been able to look at it. I would really appreciate any help you can give me with this - it would be wonderful to connect with anyone that has memories of my dad Michael. He was born 7th September in (I think) 1934 to Emily Dalton who was one of twins.

Thank you

Jane

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

The Eagle has landed.
    Just like the proverbial Eagle, the bould Boroman has landed and is back in lovely Listowel, refreshed and ready for another year of making a few observations and insights into the goings and comings of the town. Thank for the kind comments especially from the Pintman, Bob Dylan and John Granville (whoever he or she is)!
    While over in the snowdrifts of the windy city I was happy to keep up to date with the Listowel thread daily. I was delighted that cherry tree picked up the cudgel in her defence of the unwarranted attack on the Christmas lights by ejmaztec and his quite cynical reply of cherry tree been easily pleased, may I add that in my opinion, ejmaztec must be very hard to please and must be more used to the likes of Regent Street London or Times Square in New York. Remember what Christmas is really about, the lights are only an added attraction. Speaking to some of our townsmen and women in New York on this subject they told me that they would forgo all the glitz and excitement of that city in return for a few days with their families back home in Listowel at Christmas.
    Now that this subject is off my chest, I would like to wish all a very happy and healthy 2011 (even ejmaztec) and by the way thanks to cherry tree for the photographs.
    Up the Boro every time.

• Advertisement

Church newsletter

Church Newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 listowelbelle

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Some people are easily pleased.:P

...and a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all those in Listowel and its vicinity. I hope Santy brings you all some new lights in his sack.:D

Greetings. Sometimes reading the "Kerryman" gives me a right laugh. Aparrently somebody pinched St. Joseph and the baby Jesus from the crib!! The St. Vincent De Paul own them and they aare 40 years old!! St. Joseph turned up in the Cows Lawn (like many a Listowel native during Christmas after a few too many)!! Jesus is still at large and the St. Vincent De Paul want him back. keep you updated.

Fantastic picture in the Kerryman taken by Junior Griffin of a fox crossing the frozen river on the Greenville side.

boroman wrote: »
    The Eagle has landed.
    Just like the proverbial Eagle, the bould Boroman has landed and is back in lovely Listowel, refreshed and ready for another year of making a few observations and insights into the goings and comings of the town. Thank for the kind comments especially from the Pintman, Bob Dylan and John Granville (whoever he or she is)!
    While over in the snowdrifts of the windy city I was happy to keep up to date with the Listowel thread daily. I was delighted that cherry tree picked up the cudgel in her defence of the unwarranted attack on the Christmas lights by ejmaztec and his quite cynical reply of cherry tree been easily pleased, may I add that in my opinion, ejmaztec must be very hard to please and must be more used to the likes of Regent Street London or Times Square in New York. Remember what Christmas is really about, the lights are only an added attraction. Speaking to some of our townsmen and women in New York on this subject they told me that they would forgo all the glitz and excitement of that city in return for a few days with their families back home in Listowel at Christmas.
    Now that this subject is off my chest, I would like to wish all a very happy and healthy 2011 (even ejmaztec) and by the way thanks to cherry tree for the photographs.
    Up the Boro every time.

The thing that pisses me off about our lights is this, during the races the harvest festival puts up coloured lights. then take them down again and the town council put up white lights for xmas!! aparrently they cant agree to share one set of lights between them!! im a small town how petty.

Having said that the town looked fab this xmas, now having said that if we had a few CCTV's in the square we might find out, who nabbed baby Jesus from the crib, and abandoned poor old St. Joseph to his own devices in the cows lawn!!!

Fireman wrote: »
    are you on Facebook, If so I will put you onto the dalton family, I know them well and you can view some photos

The family is very well known in Listowel, Tommy Dalton's sons are on Facebook (Derek and Mike). Tommy is still hale and hearty and enjoys a quiet pint in Sheahans pub most weekends. Come to think of it Mike Dalton is a detective maybe he can help us with our missing Jesus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The thing that pisses me off about our lights is this, during the races the harvest festival puts up coloured lights. then take them down again and the town council put up white lights for xmas!! aparrently they cant agree to share one set of lights between them!! im a small town how petty.

Having said that the town looked fab this xmas, now having said that if we had a few CCTV's in the square we might find out, who nabbed baby Jesus from the crib, and abandoned poor old St. Joseph to his own devices in the cows lawn!!!

Whatever you do, don't mention the lights. I'm still in hiding, as I'm pretty sure they're still looking for me.:eek:

I don't know what happened to baby Jesus, but St Joseph probably got bored with the lights and took off.

lots of digging to do

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Your photos certainly put our 2 or 3 inches into the halfpenny place. Please post a photo of your drive after you cleared it. It would cheer us all up.
    Take care and stay warm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

lots of digging to do

That is an impressive amount of snow, sure enough. I'm equally fascinated by the number of overhead wires carried by the pole and going to the various houses. Is this usual in the U.S.? Seems like they too could become victims of heavy snow.

Church newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Hi,
    Does anyone know has Urmas Bridal House closed down already or is it closing down or does anyone have any details??Totally gutted as was planning on going there to try on some bridal gowns :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Hi,
    Does anyone know has Urmas Bridal House closed down already or is it closing down or does anyone have any details??Totally gutted as was planning on going there to try on some bridal gowns :-(

I think its open for another two Saturdays: give them a ring is probably your best bet... 083 3725808. Don't forget Finesse is still there and I have got to say both Liz and Mags were absolutely fantastic: I could not reccomend them highly enough: I got my dress there and it is just perfect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

cyning wrote: »
    I think its open for another two Saturdays: give them a ring is probably your best bet... 083 3725808. Don't forget Finesse is still there and I have got to say both Liz and Mags were absolutely fantastic: I could not reccomend them highly enough: I got my dress there and it is just perfect :D
    Ya, I already have an appointment made with Finesse for March, saw some lovely dresses of theirs at a fashion show , so looking forward to going there :-)

It is nice to see the Listowel Thread going back to local trivia. I was sorry to see the Bridal Shop URMA closing down. When I first came to Listowel I stayed in that house with full board for £7 a week.

Before computers, no mobiles, before telephone cards. The same nice people of Listowel who made a Cork man feel welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

Hi everyone in and around Listowel,

Hoping someone can help. My son has written a poem and was wondering can he inter it in Listowel Writers Week. How does he go about this, and when is it on.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Hi everyone in and around Listowel,

Hoping someone can help. My son has written a poem and was wondering can he inter it in Listowel Writers Week. How does he go about this, and when is it on.

Thanks.

This should help.

http://writersweek.ie/2011/

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

Thank you so much. We got all the info there, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Before computers, no mobiles, before telephone cards. QUOTE]

:eek: No telephone cards even???!! :D

Anyone know where there is like Irish set dancing or dancing classes in and around Listowel? I can't dance and need to learn :)

Hi,

It's not shut down yet but they seem to have a closing down sale!!?? so anyone getting married soon should definately go there. aparrently they selling off the stock at rock bottom prices I drive by the shop every day and there still bridal gowns on the windows but I guess not for long>;)

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't mention the lights. I'm still in hiding, as I'm pretty sure they're still looking for me.:eek:

I don't know what happened to baby Jesus, but St Joseph probably got bored with the lights and took off.

Im new to the site and how facebook etc work etc. and considering I used to design P.C.B.'s in Melchert Listowel how sad is that?!

Somebody mentioned Rita Dowlings newspaper shop (where Danny Hannon later took over as Newsagents) I was the first newspaper GIRL!? I think and i lived in the country my wage was £2.00 a week I was loaded (average pocket money was 10p).

On the subject of the lights YET AGAIN!! Maybe ST. Joseph thought took off to seek refuge in the Cows lawn thinking back to the days when the brightest lights in the town were in the cows lawn during the fleadh cheoils of the 70's (especially when the "HIPPIES" went naked in the Feale)!!! you can imagine us going past in the school bus a week after the event to see at least 40 naked bodies swimming!!

Advertisement