Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

drmccoy wrote: »
    Im from Listowel ask me anything about and I should know it.Born and raised there right in the heart of town.

I was trying to figure who you are.As i lived in main st.It is sad to go back and see not one of the original names are still over the door.The last person was Mrs.scully a real lady.I got to thinkinking the other day was Gertie Mann a local person and what was her maiden name also Miss Rahilly was married and cant think what was her married name.Maybe i have too much time on my hand but just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

This is another example of the generosity of Listowel people to the people of the town.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/singing-shrink-hits-the-right-note-to-help-hospice-2598440.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10 drmccoy

Hi Listowel 8

Im nearly certain I know you who you are,If I knew a horse as good as this I would put a big bet on it, I was in your shop hundreds of times.
    I met you at Listowel Races with your son,you probably met hundreds of people over there but the secret is we met down the river,that should be enough of a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

Yes I agree with the comments of listowel8 in his post re/ the diminishment of old family names over house and business premises, I suppose it is the price of so called progress. I have tallied that out of 58 houses in the Square and Main Street only 12 present occupiers are directly connected to the owners of those houses in 1961 (50 years ago)
    In your query in relation to Gertrude (Gertie) Mann, yes, she was a native of Main Street; where Dress to Impress is now, she was youngest daughter of 7 children to Michael and Nora O Connor who for a time ran a licensed premise, after this closed it continued as a shoemaking and grocery establishment. Gertie was an accomplished pianist and she played at the cinema run by Pa.Cooney at Upper Church Street during silent movie days. She used be accompanied by a violinist, an Englishman of German extraction, called Fred Mann. In time, they married and settled down at Gerties family home where Fred started a watch repair business, this continued until the 1960s.
    Miss Ralaigh came to Listowel in the early 1950s working at M.J Carroll’s; in time she bought the house (afterwards occupied by Justin Stack and now John Mc Guire) in which she ran a fancy goods shop. She got married to a man from County Offaly, named Michael Groomes, who had come to Listowel at the time of the Feale drainage.
    I hope the above satisfies listowel8 and eases his longings for Main Street and rekindles his memories of the old town.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

The Square has definitely changed with regard to families occupying the houses there. When I was growing up in the Square in the sixties/seventies there were easily 40 kids my age or within a couple of years of my age living in the Square. Maybe more than 40. Several families had six or seven kids apiece. I just had to walk out my door and I would meet kids playing on the street. On recent visits, looking around, I don't see any kids around the place. Most of the houses seem to be offices, businesses or rentals.

• Advertisement

Family planning and moving to the city limits may have something to do with it. !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

boroman wrote: »
    Family planning and moving to the city limits may have something to do with it. !!!

And maybe Play Station and X Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 drmccoy

Hi Awayyablaggard

Frank Sheehy was my teacher in sixth class.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

drmccoy wrote: »
    Kerry people are too cute to have their money in the mattress its well hidden else where,Im not going to tell, you putting ideas in your head.

You were obviously correct, because this poor lady kept her cash in a sock in one of her boots::eek:
    Mystery surrounds the location of a small fortune in Listowel, after a local woman claimed that she had accidentally left €5,000 in a pair of old boots handed in for sale at a charity shop.

But when she came back to the shop after discovering her error, the footwear had already been sold on as a real bargain - along with the cash.
    The woman, understood to be from Listowel, dropped off a number of items of clothing and shoes to Mrs Quinn’s Charity Shop on Church Street a fortnight ago.
    She returned a week later, claiming that she had accidentally left €5,000 in cash in a sock in one of the boots.
    The claim prompted a thorough search of the charity shop, before it emerged…

http://www.kerryseye.com/

Church Newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Congratulations to all the team involved in the Dublin launch of this year's
    40th anniversary celebratory Writers' Week.

The festival goes from strength to strength. I can't wait for the June bank holiday weekend!

The following is a quote from http://writersweek.ie/

"Festival Chairman Michael Lynch stated that “the festival is renowned for having no airs and graces, yet it gives festival goers an intimate opportunity to meet and mingle with the biggest in the local and international literary world within the confines of a small town where every venue and performance is within easy walking distance."

Church newsletter

Great credit,and our thanks are due to to the members of Listowel tidy towns group who are on a big cleanup of OUR town this week. More members(its free to join) from all sections and all areas of the town are welcome to come and give a hand for a few hours each week at the continuing work during the summer months, the outcome of which, hopefully will reap the extra few marks to propel Listowel to the top of their section when it comes to final adjudication later this year.
    Show civic spirit, keep Listowel litter free.
    Listowel Abu.

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 19 halfstack

Liked a lot - thanks for link

what would be the best way to locate the graves of some ancestors who I know are buried in the Old Cemetry in Listowel. There was never a headstone apparently due to lack of money and now want to find the graves and put that right. Burials were early 1970s I think

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Welcome to the Listowel thread.
    In answer to your question, I'm fairly sure that the Town Council would have an account of plots allocated in the 1970's. If the plot had been bought much earlier, and your loved ones buried there in the 20th century it might be slightly more difficult, but someone is bound to remember.
    I hope you get to locate the graves.

Church Newsletter

In answer to your question, I'm fairly sure that the Town Council would have an account of plots allocated in the 1970's. If the plot had been bought much earlier, and your loved ones buried there in the 20th century it might be slightly more difficult, but someone is bound to remember.

Thanks a lot Cherry Tree - I will try there. Hope you have a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

Firstly I just wanted to say fair play to ye for keeping such an up to date thread on the town.

What I really want to say is UP TARBERT tho :)

And with the return of some good players next year and with a few minors(who won last week) progessing to senior football we should be able to put it up to ye again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5L4fYOE8io&NR=1
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Derfelcadarn

Lads, does anybody have anymore pictures of Bunny Dalton? I'm here with Tom and he's asking if I can get more. Anything of anyone from the Avenue or Brendans Terrace would be appreciated also.....

In reply to "lavattack" or should it read "leabaattached" I think of the age old saying of an old man, who was much, much wiser than both of us, which is, "walk easy when your jug is full"
    Is it not ironic that the famous red and black colours of Tarbert were recently carried to All Ireland victory by St. Michaels of Listowel and while we are on it our hartiest congradulations to the Tarberts club best known and most important back room team of Listowels Jerome Stack and Tommy O Connell.
    Sure, we like to spread ourselves around and as they say "one swallow never made a summer" :p:D:rolleyes:

In reply to "lavattack" or should it read "leabaattached" I think of the age old saying of an old man, who was much, much wiser than both of us, which is, "walk easy when your jug is full"
    Is it not ironic that the famous red and black colours of Tarbert were recently carried to All Ireland victory by St. Michaels of Listowel and while we are on it our hartiest congradulations to the Tarberts club best known and most important back room team of Listowels Jerome Stack and Tommy O Connell.
    Sure, we like to spread ourselves around and as they say "one swallow never made a summer" :p:D:rolleyes:

Yea I saw all the black and red bunting in St. Michaels and was wondering what that was about. Congrats to them. Haven't been down this way in some time tbh but stopped into Jet's on Saturday, glad some things don't change :).

I am just jealous there is no Tarbert thread I think :(

Why wait for somebody else to start one, get going yourself, we will all contribute, at times, Once it is started, it will take on a life of itself.

Why wait for somebody else to start one, get going yourself, we will all contribute, at times, Once it is started, it will take on a life of itself.

I ain't the right person to do it. Maybe some-one will do it but won't be me I'm afraid :)

I looked at most of the Listowel one there over the last couple days, it's amazing how many old photos and that ye have up, you can really see a major change from the Listowel I know (and briefly lived in) and the old Listowel. Fair play to every-one for putting them up cos I enjoyed seeing the older photo's (especially The Maid Of Erin, I loved that bar back in the day) :)

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Does anyone know why there is some new structure (Scaffold) built onto one of the chimneys at the Tarbert Power Station?

Does anyone know why there is some new structure (Scaffold) built onto one of the chimneys at the Tarbert Power Station?

I was down there during the week and noticed them. Possibly a shut down coming up and they are getting ready for a big clean. I will find out tomorrow if I can for you tho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Donal Doyle is going cleaning them tuesday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 madhatter49

Hi...my people are buried in the old cemetary as well (great grand daughter of James Guerin and Mary Heffernan Guerin) and don't have gravestones. I don't know how that happened. Most of their kids were in the U.S. by the time of their passings (1915 and 1919) and doing well enough that money could have been sent for gravestones. My great aunt, Ellen Guerin Cotter McElligott, lived in town and died in the 1930s and has no gravestone as well. Now those were tougher times in the 30s (the depression) and I can see where money was tight...but at some point, couldn't a stone have been managed by the surviving brothers in the U.S.?

Is there some place I could start to try and locate where my ancestors are burried?

Thanks.

Advertisement