Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 madhatter49

wow...am I thread stopper! I pose a question and the whole thread shuts down? sorry...go back to what you were discussing and if ANYONE knows if there is someplace central that knows who is burried where, grave stones or not, please jump in.
    (I'll be in Listowel next week for a few weeks...thanks)/

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

wow...am I thread stopper! I pose a question and the whole thread shuts down? sorry...go back to what you were discussing and if ANYONE knows if there is someplace central that knows who is burried where, grave stones or not, please jump in.
    (I'll be in Listowel next week for a few weeks...thanks)/

This happens ever so often. We are a bit sporadic in our postings. My advice re your query is go to Aras an Phiarsaigh (opposite the library) when you arre in town and enquire there.
    The other possibility might be the undertakers. There are 2 in town, Galvins and Carrolls. They might have kept an account of where they buried people.

Good luck with your search and enjoy your stay with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

Unmarked graves at Listowel Cemetery.
    Unfortunately you are in the same position of many more. There are very many unmarked grave sites in the original section of the cemetery and the pity is that no record exists as to ownership. I have been to the Urban Council and any records they have are fairly sketchy, their oldest goes back to the 1930s and is merely a tattered notebook with a list of names of people buying graves, it does not state in what location. There is another book where deaths from the early 1960s are recorded. Another book, which deals with the newer section of the cemetery has plots numbered, however if one visits this section, graves are nearly all marked with stones.
    The respective undertakers previously named have been in business for a relatively short time (one, since the 1970s and the other since the 1940/50s)
    I think your only option would be to contact any surviving relatives and try to pick their brains as to any trips they might had to the cemetery with older relations for funerals or grave visitation.
    Claiming an unmarked grave can also lead one down an unwanted legal avenue. However there is a procedure where, if one has an idea of the whereabouts of a grave, that temporary wooden palings with a nameplate are erected and left for a suitable time, if then there is no objection then one could put up a more lasting marker.
    I have a document from the 1960s which contains a record of family gravestones and tombs; this again is from the older section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 madhatter49

:)thanks Cherry Tree and Boroman - very useful info in which to address a puzzeling situation. I guess we are no longer a society that visits graves of loved ones - to pay respects, to chat, to tidy up and leave flowers. But, was it not a custom back in the day?
    I do have relatives in Listowel. One of them has a general idea where the older ancestors are buried; but that is a good idea to pick their brains further regarding funerals attended in their childhood.
    And, just an aside - Thank you again, Boroman, for the tour you provided my sister and I last spring, driving us around, pointing out where present day Heffernans live, and the old homestead on Ballygrennan Road, where my Guerin and Heffernan ancestors lived in the 1800s and early 1900s. It really helped in forming an historic story of my genealogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

Hi Everybody

I am just back in Canada after over a week in Ireland. I would like to thank everyone in Listowel and the surrounding areas for there Heart felt condolences and there amazing turn out to the Funeral of my Father. He was a well respected man and he loved Listowel dearly. Thank you all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

Does anyone know why there is some new structure (Scaffold) built onto one of the chimneys at the Tarbert Power Station?

They are giving the chimney a full cleaning mate. Seemingly very dirty job. Some guys from Liverpool are over doing it. Met them lastnight, decent lads

In the days when I was a much younger man I worked for Ascon, who had just been appointed as main contractors for the building of the new E.S.B. power station in Tarbert Island. What was a green building site when we arrived was soon to be turned into a sea of mud as large cathapillars and diggers cleared the ground for the foundations of the buildings which were to house the boilers, condensers and the other machinery which was to make up the original station.
    Outside the building where I worked, I saw the digging of the hole which contained the foundations of the first chimney. Many of the lads working on this chimney were from the Ballyduff area and by the time it was built and ready for use these lads were experienced steeple jacks, prior to coming to Tarbert the highest they’d have climbed would have been to the balcony of the Central Hotel Ballroom in Ballybunion.
    The Ascon foreman was a Listowel man , Gerald Lenihan of Charles Street.
    Gerald is still hale and hearty and lives in Cork, he is father of Donal Lenihan, rugby commentator and ex Irish rugby team captain.

Church newsletter

Just enjoyed a beautiful lunch in the Listowel Arms. 26 of is sat down after a communion. Good service and great food all round. They even threw a television into the bar for us to watch Manchester United win the premiership!!

On communion days the only thing I would say is they need an extra bar-person for sure. Only for the fact that I have worked there in the past and knew some staff I would have been waiting for up to 15 minutes to order drinks like most others, all in all tho very good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 halfstack

Lavattack wrote: »
    Just enjoyed a beautiful lunch in the Listowel Arms. 26 of is sat down after a communion. Good service and great food all round. They even threw a television into the bar for us to watch Manchester United win the premiership!!

On communion days the only thing I would say is they need an extra bar-person for sure. Only for the fact that I have worked there in the past and knew some staff I would have been waiting for up to 15 minutes to order drinks like most others, all in all tho very good :)
    I have had lunch there recently and food was great...same problem with trying to get served in the bar though....pretty good overall though.

halfstack wrote: »
    I have had lunch there recently and food was great...same problem with trying to get served in the bar though....pretty good overall though.

Ya I must say the food was better than I expected. Well presented. Well cooked and well served.

I could understand the bar issue if they were caught on the hop but we had and I assume most others had the table booked since January. If you are preparing food for 200+ on a day, you have to make sure and get extra ba-rstaff than normal. Bridget and Betty alone in a bar that was jointed. It was never going to work I am afraid. Tom had to serve me at one stage even !!

I would suggest that your complaint would be dealt with if you contacted the hotel management directly, you or the hotel have little to gain by debating it on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 otherhalf

Hi folks, I was on here years ago but forgot my password so had to rejoin (thats old-timers memory for you! )
    I Love going back to the Listowel Arms, we used to have a disco there in the 70s and 80's haha! Much posher these days but still has a fond place in my heart.

Yep small bar but nice pint of guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

boroman wrote: »
    I would suggest that your complaint would be dealt with if you contacted the hotel management directly, you or the hotel have little to gain by debating it on boards.

This is the best place for debating:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g211855-d214579-Reviews-Listowel_Arms_Hotel-Listowel_County_Kerry.html

boroman wrote: »

Nobody is debating. I merely stated my own experience. Boards is a forum site for talking. I didn't break any charter rules in any of my posts on the thread. If I want to talk on a forum about my own experiences well then, thats my choice and you don't have a say in it. Why would I want to complain anyway given that I said over-all it was very good??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kerrytek

im starting to wonder if someones checking the place out for lizzie windsor. She doesn't seem to like the guinness though.

Lavattack wrote: »
    Nobody is debating. I merely stated my own experience. Boards is a forum site for talking. I didn't break any charter rules in any of my posts on the thread. If I want to talk on a forum about my own experiences well then, thats my choice and you don't have a say in it. Why would I want to complain anyway given that I said over-all it was very good??

I think that new ideas are always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 otherhalf

kerrytek wrote: »
    im starting to wonder if someones checking the place out for lizzie windsor. She doesn't seem to like the guinness though.

I saw a picture in the paper of phillip staring longingly at a pint, was quite funny. I spent a few days reaqding through some of the old posts here and wish I had seen it earlier, I was on the boards before but had not noticed this thread, some reallly great pictures, and updates.

Church Newsletter

• Advertisement

It's a great shame that when new hotels were being built all over the country, Listowel never got a brand spanking new 5 star establisment. It seems to be the only town in Ireland that didn't.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kerrytek

Listowel is the only town in Ireland that didn't do many things. Why is that?

Listowel is the only town in Ireland that didn't do many things. Why is that?

tumbleweed.gif

Church newsletter

It's good to see someone showing some initiative in Listowel, and good luck to him.:)

3c12aa31-05bb-4483-_903345t.jpg
    ............with a group of French tourists on his horse and tub trap in Listowel.

By DÓNAL NOLAN Photo by JABS Photography

Wednesday June 01 2011

A SIGHT that is common in Killarney but rare in Listowel hit the streets of the north Kerry town this week.
    Listowel's first jarvey service for tourists began operating on Saturday. Set-up by Woodford native Jimmy Moloney it has already taken visitors between the Seanchaí, the Lartigue Monorail, the Famine Graveyard and other local attractions.
    Despite the relatively small numbers of tourists in Listowel in comparison to Kerry's tourist capital, Jimmy believes his business is going to thrive and help the town's many attractions in the process.
    "It's a novelty alright at the moment and I'm happy with the first weekend's business even though the weather could have been better," he said. "I'm based outside the Seanchaí and I hope the season will really kick off now with Writers' Week."
    "It's handy for tourists as a lot would get off in the centre of town and wouldn't get to see the likes of the Lartigue and the Famine Graveyard as they're too far out. I'll bring them around to them all and show them the sights. I've a little brochure made out too listing everything to see and do in Listowel," he explained.
    A keen horse man all his life, Jimmy came up with the idea after talking to jarvey friends in Killarney who advised him on how to go about setting up the business. As for the potential for pollution, Listowel need have no fear — Jimmy's horse is required to wear a nappy just like those in Killarney.
    - DÓNAL NOLAN Photo by JABS Photography

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/jarvey-makes-a-rare-sight-in-listowel-2663489.html

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

Does every depressed farmer and loner around Listowel think they can write a book ? John B once said it was better a lot of them did'nt ?

Does every depressed farmer and loner around Listowel think they can write a book ? John B once said it was better a lot of them did'nt ?

Perhaps he didn't want any competition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

What are the names of these books you speak of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 halfstack

That's what everyone thought until this secret footage was released http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150195502608759&comments

Advertisement