Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

what are the men like up in listowel? heading up there in a few weeks to a wedding :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

what are the men like up in listowel? heading up there in a few weeks to a wedding :P

Amm… :P

I'm sure there's a few nice single men around! I'm not the best person to answer that I haven't got a clue... Like any other town I'd guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

cyning wrote: »
    Aldi are selling a Listowel Lemon Cheesecake... its part of their specially selected range. Does anyone know if it's actually being made in Listowel? It tastes delicious either way :-)

They had to do something with the thousands of lemon trees surrounding Listowel, or they'd have gone to waste :P

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Is "Biddy's Night" celebrated in Listowel ?????

The Biddy is one of the many customs associated with Saint Bridget, one of Ireland's most revered saints in olden times.

Saint Bridget's feast day falls on 1 February, which is also the first day of Spring. On this day nature was thought to awaken from its long winter slumber and prayers and invocations were made to Saint Bridget to bless the crops and to improve the fertility of man and beast!

On the eve of the feast day an effigy of Saint Bridget was made and taken into each home to bring good luck. The young people would then travel about the neighbourhood with the effigy proclaiming the news the Saint had arrived in the locality. These were known as Boidógs or Biddys.

Both boys and girls took part and generally went in disguise. As a rule the boys dressed as girls and visa versa. Straw suits or masks were frequently used to enhance the disguise (see under straw boys). The Biddys received gifts of foodstuffs, butter, eggs and the like in each house and concluded their outing with a feast!

As time went on money was given instead of food and the simple feast developed into a "ball night" with drink as a dominant feature.

The Biddy was frequently constructed by using a peeled turnip to represent the head. The features were cut out and coloured with soot or any other colour available. The "head" was mounted on a broom handle, or churn dash, for ease of carrying. A churn dash was preferred as it could stand independently. (A churn dash comprised of a handle with a flat wooden cross at one end, used to agitate or dash the milk when making butter.) The dash was then covered with an old skirt or cloth and stuffed with hay or straw to form the body.

The Biddys went from house to house providing entertainment by way of music, song or dance in exchange for money. The tradition of going on the Biddy to collect for a "ball nigh" has mostly been discontinued. Nowadays if the Biddys go out it is to collect for charity and they are more likely to ply the ancient craft in the public houses in the towns than in private homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

TG4 broadcast a program about Listowel last night

Ar Bhóithrín na Smaointe - Episode:3

Bríd Óg is in the picturesque, vibrant town on Listowel, Co Kerry this week. She calls into John B Keane’s pub in the town to meet his daughter Joanna and his wife Mary to talk about life with the renowned playwright.

http://nasc.tg4.tv/TiqTOo

Biddy's Night anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Listowel Railwalk
    amadain wrote: »
    POSTED ON THE "Tralee to Fenit Greenway" thread

http://www.southerntrail.net/

Only a matter of time before the Abbeyfeale to Listowel section is complete and then it's 'onwards and upwards' to Tralee & Fenit !

Taken from the http://www.southerntrail.net/ website

Southern Trail News...

Greenway to the border with Co. Kerry

It is hoped that work will be completed before Christmas by Limerick County Council on the 3 km extension of the Great Southern Trail [GST] which will bring the Greenway to the border with Co. Kerry. The GST will be organising its Annual December 27th 2012 walk along this route; further details later. The GST greatly appreciates the support of the County Council and also welcomes the initiative by the Limerick Local Area Councillors to meet with their cross-border colleagues in Co. Kerry with a view to progressing the trail further.

Full story from The Limerick Leader

http://www.southerntrail.net/documen...y%20border.jpg

ALSO have a read of............

http://traleetofenitcycleway.wordpress.com/

50 years…

February 1, 2013 by traleefenit

On a frosty evening fifty years ago the last regular passenger train wended its way through West Limerick and North Kerry as it made its final journey from Limerick to Tralee. All along the route people came out to bid farewell.

It was Saturday 2nd February 1963. Although this was not the last train to travel on the line, (freight services continued up until 1978) it was the last time it was used for passenger transit. A passenger is defined as person who travels in a vehicle, while the line may have seen the last of passengers, it has not seen the last of people, it is great to see that 50 years on from that last passenger train people are again using the railway (although this time under their own steam ! ).

Work on the reopening of the Tralee section of the line and the Fenit branch is well underway, the Limerick section of the line is complete to the Kerry border and a number of local groups have began working to reopen sections in their locality.

Coincidentally in 2013 the 2nd of February also falls on a Saturday and to commemorate the last train a walk will set out from Abbeyfeale Station along the Great Southern Trail(GST) at 2.15pm to Duagh Village, the route is approximately four miles long and as portion of the route is on the public road all participants are advised to wear visibility vests.

There is also a Facebook event for the walk please share it with you family and friends.

Refreshments will be provided at Jim’s Bar, Duagh and return transport to Abbeyfeale will be provided. Those travelling from the Tralee/Listowel direction may consider the 1pm CIÉ bus from Tralee(1.30pm from Listowel) to Abbeyfeale; there is a return CIÉ service to Listowel/Tralee at 4.45pm directly from Duagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

• Advertisement

g1360190785135961195.jpg

Church Newsletter

kingdumb wrote: »
    g1360190785135961195.jpg

Originally Posted by Quackster
    Listowel town councillor Denis Stack is their ringleader.

He can be contacted at denis.stack@listoweltc.ie

and I would urge everyone, especially his Listowel electorate, to let him know your opinions on the matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Originally Posted by Quackster
    Listowel town councillor Denis Stack is their ringleader.

He can be contacted at denis.stack@listoweltc.ie

and I would urge everyone, especially his Listowel electorate, to let him know your opinions on the matter.
    What's the story behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Anybody ever eaten in punjab spice and lived to tell the tail? Is it any good there?

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Anybody ever eaten in punjab spice and lived to tell the tail? Is it any good there?
    Kebabs there are gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Would you get an Indian take away there or is it more of a kebab house?

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Would you get an Indian take away there or is it more of a kebab house?
    They do take away , but they also have a restaurant there.

LAND and MONEY I presume - compo job - LAND GRABBERS !

WHO is John Hannon - their 'consultant' who says "We don't want to be seen as land-grabbers" - (from the Kerry's Eye).

• Advertisement

my understanding of the situation is that during the time (since 1977) until now, the railway line from Abbeyfeale to Listowel was not used by CIE, some farmers with land adjacent to the track had started to use the land of the track as part of their farm.

When the walkers tried, with the permission of CIE, to walk along the track they were prevented.

my understanding.......some farmers......had started to use the land of the track as part of their farm.....

NOT their land to use !

NOT their land to use !

They should be prosecuted if they've done anything to it or built anything on it.

Some farmers (i.e. 99.99999%:pac:) think that the entire countryside and everything in it, on it, or under it, belongs to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jezzag

My experience is that the food is appalling. YMMV but my rule of thumb is that if an Indian restaurant can't even get onion bahjis right then they should be avoided. Currys were watery, tasteless, under seasoned. You'd be better off with a couple of chicken breasts and stir in sauce from Supervalu.
    They do take away , but they also have a restaurant there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 halfstack

I had a takeaway (prawn dhansak as it happens!) from there fairly recently and it was pretty good. A bit slow on service but I suppose that means they are cooking to order. There is another Indian place just opened, in Church Street I think. Also highly rfeccommend 'Royal China' Church Street - eaten in there many times - always excellent.

No idea, but apparently he told the walkers who were stopped at the border that he was involved in promoting tourism (!!!) in Ballybunion, so maybe try the Ballybunion thread.

I think it says a lot that neither he (the spokesman) nor Cllr. Stack would talk speak to Radio Kerry last week.

WHO is John Hannon - their 'consultant' who says "We don't want to be seen as land-grabbers" - (from the Kerry's Eye).

halfstack wrote: »
    Punjab Spice .

Was she the one who didn't make it through the auditions?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ladybird2010

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They should be prosecuted if they've done anything to it or built anything on it.

Some farmers (i.e. 99.99999%:pac:) think that the entire countryside and everything in it, on it, or under it, belongs to them.

Your house and your garden etc, what ever is whichin the boundaries on your deeds is your property. You own this area. Your own private property

Same way whatever is within the boundaries on a farmers or a business' deeds is that person's property.

If I came and walking in your back garden and walked around it and did whatever I want without you permisson, you would be a bit teck off. So same rule apply with regards to farmers and their property.

A farm is not only a person's business but also their home.

Church Newsletter

• Advertisement

Your house and your garden etc, what ever is whichin the boundaries on your deeds is your property. You own this area. Your own private property

Same way whatever is within the boundaries on a farmers or a business' deeds is that person's property.

If I came and walking in your back garden and walked around it and did whatever I want without you permisson, you would be a bit teck off. So same rule apply with regards to farmers and their property.

A farm is not only a person's business but also their home.
    But the old rail line isn't your property!

Advertisement