Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top Restaurant in Dublin city??

• 12-06-2005 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Looking for some advice,

Need a nice restaurant in dublin city centre for a meal this monday nite, just me and the bird so somewhere cool, trendy maybe but not gonna burn a major hole in my pocket...

Somewhere within walking distance of temple bar/o'connell st area..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

francesca's in brooks hotel, drury st.....not very very expensive and quite nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Cafe Bar Deli - Georges St -> http://www.cafebardeli.ie/
    Yamamori - Georges St -> Asian/Oriental food. Decent quality, decent price
    Wagamama - Under St.Stephens Green Shopping Centre -> Asian/Oriental food. Good quality, good price. Not the type of place that you can sit there for ages though... Benches are used rather than traditional seating.
    Havana - off Camden St -> Good Tapas restaurant. Good food and good fun. There a few nooks and crannies for date type meals.
    Monti's of Katmandu - Temple Bar -> Good Indian type food. Reasonable price. Small and quiet atmosphere...

thats all i can think of in that area really...

oh there are a few places on parliament st that look really nice that i haven't tried yet... could be worth checking out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

I'd recommend L'Gueleton on Fade Street (beside Hogan's of Georges St.) for brilliant French food for a knockdown price ('knockdown' given the quality.) Very chic, very now. Still insanely popular, and doesn't take bookings, so I believe you have to wander down around half six and hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

oflahero wrote:
    I'd recommend L'Gueleton on Fade Street (beside Hogan's of Georges St.) for brilliant French food for a knockdown price ('knockdown' given the quality.) Very chic, very now. Still insanely popular, and doesn't take bookings, so I believe you have to wander down around half six and hope for the best.

yeah forgot about this place... 'queues' are long at some times... excellent food though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

elephant and castle

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭1

abington wrote:
    Looking for some advice,

Need a nice restaurant in dublin city centre for a meal this monday nite, just me and the bird so somewhere cool, trendy maybe but not gonna burn a major hole in my pocket...

Somewhere within walking distance of temple bar/o'connell st area..

http://www.shackrestaurant.ie/howtofindus.php

I recommened it to some ones else here once looking for the same kinda thing you were....

Fella even had the decency to PM me to say thanks.

I tend to have the Tornedos Rossini ...
    Fillet Steak, wrapped in Bacon and Topped with Shack Pate & Flat Mushroom. Served on a Crouton, with enriched Madeira sauce.

http://shackrestaurant.ie/alacartemenu.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mongolian BBQ is great too.

seansouth wrote:
    Mongolian BBQ is great too.

what's it like?

I always wanted to try it but me girlie is a veggie and i wouldn't be sure they'd have anything appetising for her...

Oh my god Ruggie, it would be PERFECT for a veggie.

You have this kind of Deli Counter in the middle with all the stuff. Veg one side, meats the other. Thing is, at the meat side there is a container of Tofu aswell. And some Shark and a Seafood mixture, prawns, mussels and that.

Then behind that there are all your spices and sauces.

Is she full Veg or would she eat seafood?

Either/or, she'd love to go.

There are 2 sittings.

7pm or 9.30pm, also a lunch time too.

€20 all you can eat main course.
    €30 Starter + Desert + All you can eat main course.

It's really great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

I heard the Mongolian bbq is great novelty-wise, but the food all ends up tasting the same and isn't overly exciting.

A big NO to the Elephant and Castle. They do the most amazing chicken wings in the world, but the rest of the menu is crap.

Have heard good things about the French resto. I would go with that if you can handle the not booking thing.

Havana is gorge, great tapas. It might just be me but I would have thought it was a bit casual for what he's looking for...

I also recommend Boulevard Cafe near the International Bar.

Oh!! I've just thought of the perfect place! It's called the Chilli Club. It's a Thai restaurant just off Grafton St on Anne's lane. You have to book well in advance because there are only about 8 tables (ie. very cosy and romantic). The food is absolutely to die for and I found the prices quite reasonable. They do an early bird menu as well.

ETA: the chilli club isn't exactly trendy looking. But it is very sought after.

There are lots of places that would be great, I just can't think of any more at the mo!

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    Oh my god Ruggie, it would be PERFECT for a veggie.

You have this kind of Deli Counter in the middle with all the stuff. Veg one side, meats the other. Thing is, at the meat side there is a container of Tofu aswell. And some Shark and a Seafood mixture, prawns, mussels and that.

Then behind that there are all your spices and sauces.

Is she full Veg or would she eat seafood?

Either/or, she'd love to go.

There are 2 sittings.

7pm or 9.30pm, also a lunch time too.

€20 all you can eat main course.
    €30 Starter + Desert + All you can eat main course.

It's really great.

lol.....groovy! I'll have to go and try it. Thanks

*Sassy* wrote:
    I heard the Mongolian bbq is great novelty-wise, but the food all ends up tasting the same and isn't overly exciting.
    Don't mind this naysayer ( :D )

Well, I suppose, all the food would end up tasting the same, if you just lob everything into the bowl together, but there are some suggested servings, I suppose you'd call them, above the counters. Give them a try.

even if your not into spicey/hot food it's still good. I send my parents, and my dad is a mashed potato afficianado and he even thought it was nice.

Go and enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

seansouth wrote:
    Don't mind this naysayer ( :D )

Well, I suppose, all the food would end up tasting the same, if you just lob everything into the bowl together, but there are some suggested servings, I suppose you'd call them, above the counters. Give them a try.
    I agree... You really do need to pay attention to the suggested servings or you end up with the problem *sassy* found with the place.

I do like the Mongolian BBQ... It's been a while since I was last there.. I'll have to pop back again soon.

I'm a big fan of indian food myself. For fancy and expensive I'd go with the Radjoot Tandoori next to the Westbury hotel, and for affordable and tasty I'd go with the Nagina Tandoori which is just a little bit down from the George.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 feliwilli

Toscana on Dame street. www.toscana.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

Just to clarify, I've never actually been to the Mongolian bbq. I said I *heard* blah blah blah. I'll give it a try some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Helzeena

Wagamama - Under St.Stephens Green Shopping Centre -> Asian/Oriental food. Good quality, good price. Not the type of place that you can sit there for ages though... Benches are used rather than traditional seating.

I love that place...but it's kinda more a place to have lumch or whatever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Helzeena wrote:
    I love that place...but it's kinda more a place to have lumch or whatever

i could really go for some lumch right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

Yamamori on George's Street is great. I've been with veggies and non veggies alike and they all loved it!! Really reasonable too and the staff are lovely! Someone else recommended it further up.

Also, you can't go wrong with Milano's in Templebar - they're owned by Independent Pizza, so you can't go wrong with the food, but there's still a nice atmosphere. I got beautiful bruschetta last time to start and a margherita something or other - it has buffalo mozzarella and sweet tomatoes, so loverly!!!!

Enjoy your meal werever you go!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

also, try this link for special offers when dining out, it has reviews, menus too. Not all restaurants, but a good few!! www.grabit.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭axtradub12

Family owned Irish Restaurant. Good Irish food. Sherries of Middle Abbey Street Dublin 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭disillusioned

A couple of nice restaurants are:

Da Enzo - Fairview
    Ho Sen - Crow St (behind central bank)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Cojack

La Cave just on grafton street,
    But dont go if you dont got the dough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Cojack wrote:
    La Cave just on grafton street,
    But dont go if you dont got the dough...
    Why? Do they expect you to make your own bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Moto

Luigi Malones icon14.gif

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Try Topolis on Parliment St..

A class little italian restaurant.. Ive eaten there about 50 times and food is
    always excellent.. can get a starter/main course/wine and coffee for under
    €50 per person.. so well worth it..

Try the chicken wrapped in parma ham, stuffed with cheese and served with
    a saffron sauce and the sauted potatoes.. nyom nyom.. :)

Tox

Advertisement