Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK car - need to re-register?

Options
  • 12-06-2005 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

i'm moving to Dublin for up to two years with my company. as my company car is due for replacement, i've been thinking about buying a private car and bringing it with me. however, i've been reading about VRT and that would make it considerably more expensive than i bargained. i will probably bring the car back to the UK several times a year. does anyone know if i can avoid re-registering in dublin, as it's the re-registration that triggers the tax. how long can i keep the car on UK plates? cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

from here
    10. Reliefs and Exemptions
    There are various reliefs and exemptions from VRT. These are described in individual public notices which are available from any VRO. They include exemption which may apply in the case of :

transfer of residence
    transfer of business activity
    inheritance.

I'm not in the realm of company cars etc so this may be complete nonsense (tax liabilities etc) but would it make sense to keep the company car? Register it and then transfer the ownership from the company to yourself (ie buy for song?) and sell or trade in depending what it is and its value etc.

Mike.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

How about keeping the company car and charging the company the VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Don't you need to own the car for 6 months before registering it VRT free. Not sure how long you can drive here on foreign plates but the Latvians and Poles seem to have no problem doing it.

This might help. I didn't bother reading it.

http://www.revenue.ie/services/vrt/vrt2.htm

Advertisement