Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a site, but has a large ESB pole in the middle...help

Options
  • 12-06-2005 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wonder if someone could help me please.

I am very interested in a site, but the problem is that there is a large wooden ESB pole right in the middle of it. The pole must be feeding a substation because it has 3 heavy wires.

Can I get the ESB to remove/reposition this pole? How would I go about it?
    I dont think I would purchase the site with the pole in the middle (site is circa 1.75 acres) as it would be a danger to me and my future family.

Thanks in advance,
    James.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

Ba$tard wrote:
    as it would be a danger to me and my future family.

How are your testicles in danger?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

There was a picture in a news paper a few months ago. The owners of the house were in the same situation as you. They built their house around the pole. The top of the pole is going through the roof :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

In my experience the ESB will relocate any wooden pole its just that they want you to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

We had a similar problem. There was a pole with just one cable. It had to be removed, and due to the local geography they had to install two new ones instead.

It costs €1138 (IIRC) to connect to the ESB. This includes any works and or costs the ESB incur, including the moving of posts. Well it did in our case anyway.

Same for Eircom, they had to put in a new pole just for our house, but it didn't cost us anything extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

usually they will move it for a fee or they cna refuse on health and safety or feasibility issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,082 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just after seing this post so I may be a bit late with a reply.

In my experience the ESB will move local lines free of charge providing you can provide proof that the offending pole is going to interfere with a perticular proposal. EG. house or garage being built where the pole is or pole will end up in the middle of a new driveway etc.

However if the line is high voltage they will either charge for moving or in some circumsatnces, depending on voltage, you may well find that you have to keep your house, shed, trees, driveway etc a minimum distance from the overhead cable

Best thing is to ask the local ESB engineer what the position is or better still, if you know anyone working for them, get them to find out. The staff can normally give you more details off the record

Advertisement