Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comic Book adaptions vs. Video game adaptions

• 12-06-2005 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Just wanted to see what people think of their favourite comics or games being put on the big screens, or what future adaptions you'd like to see being created. Some of my favourite movies have come from comics; The Spiderman series, Hellboy, Sin City, among others.
    As for video games, the only ones I can think of straight off the top of my head are the Resident Evil films. Oh, and House of The Dead..............................

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Love the punisher comics, but the latest movie (and the original) bites ass, but I've read they are working hard on No2 so heres hoping they sort it out.

The spidermans have been a true blessing and of course Blade.

Looking forward to the Fantastic 4, the new batman and Ghost rider next year:)

As for games, I wanna see a Max Payne!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I've enjoyed most of the comic book adaptations i've seen, of course there have been some stinkers, but for the most part they've been pretty good and translate well to the big screen.

I can't think of a single video game adaptation that i liked, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat come to mind as being pretty terrible examples of the genre.

DirtyDog wrote:

I'd love to see this get made, preferrably by Robert Rodriguez he did a really superb job with Sin City.
    And like Sin City, the story is all laid out, i think he could do great things with this.
    Whether he's even aware of it, or not, is a different matter.

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Videogame adaptions really do suffer. The studios seem to have a set idea of what a "Videogame" film is, and that's lots of action and CGI.

I think if someone with enough vision and control over the project did it, they could pull off a Theif movie. David Wenham would be excellent in the lead role.

Oh, and I'm really looking forward to Silent Hill! That looks to be a very good film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeah, Silent Hill with Sean Bean.....wonder if he'll die in this film too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Me too!

The rights to a Max Payne sold a considerable time ago, but theres been no word on a film as of yet.....The rights to Soul Calibur have also been bought, as have those of Prince of Persia.

Far Cry and Doom in the Pipeline - but With Uwe Ballless directing the first, I'm not looking forward to it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm a bit sceptical about Doom....love the movies but there's been so much speculation about the plot. Everyone seems to think that there's nothing about Hell in the movie, it's a virus........
    But I really don't know, the movie has really been kept under wraps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Oh, and I'm really looking forward to Silent Hill! That looks to be a very good film.

Yeah, I've high hopes for it too. Let's just thank God that Dr. Boll didn't get his hands on it. 'Brotherhood of the Wolf' was fairly decent, so hopefully Gans won't make a mess of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd like to see some more adaptions of some of the old 2000 AD Future Shocks strips.

Hardware was very good little film. Clearly made with a small budget, but it was very effective nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I can't think of a single live-action game-based movie that I enjoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Well, videogame adaptations tend to suffer because when you remove the interactivity from most games, all you're left with is a dodgy story and flimsy characters. Comic books, being story-driven from the start, have a natural advantage.

But videogames are definitely starting to catch up. Take the interactive bits out of Silent Hill 4: The Room and you've got a pretty decent story and visuals that would make David Cronenberg proud.

But I don't see what people are saying about comic book adaptations. There's barely one listed on IMDB that I thought was a fantastic movie in its own right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

just cause it was a popular game doesnt mean it will make a good movie, so many fine examples: tomb raider, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat and i think i can assume doom

yeah i think max payne would/could make an actually good movie from game (which is a first) another which ive heard is in the works but havnd heard much recently is deus ex atleast those two actaully had a proper storyline to begin with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

While not really a 'film', but the animated Street Fighter film was superb, the Street Fighter alpha film was also excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sico wrote:
    I can't think of a single live-action game-based movie that I enjoyed.
    As long as Uwe Boll keeps getting his hands on the licenses, I don't think you'll ever see a good game movie. Thats not to say there wasn't a long standing problem before he arrived.

Personally, I just think that games are not yet a highly enough respected media for companies to try to make decent movies out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Here's something interesting I only recently found out about:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434521/
    It's a movie sequel to Final Fantasy 7. I know most people were talking about live-action game adaptions, but still.
    I hope this is a bit better than Spirits Within, which I thought was disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Hitman is about to be made into a movie - with Vin Diesel.....not so sure about that as I felt the character was older. Could be a good choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Oh Christ...Vin Diesel as 47?

"We're obviously are delighted to have Vin Diesel on board, too -- he and Agent 47 are a match made in heaven."

What is this guy on? Vin Diesel is possibly the absolute worst choice for this role. MORONS.

(Yeah, I know there's a seperate thread on this...sorry.)

(P.S. I just read that Vin Diesel was in a film called 'Multi Facial' ....genius.)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This is a no brainer really, there has been several brilliant comic adaptations(saw Sin City lastnight wow!) but i cant think of a single decent video game adaptation, the bst i can think of is Final Fantasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Games were never taken seriously before, but that seems to be changing now. Silent Hill will hopefully be good, Doom may be, even though they took out Hell, and Hitman could be good (Diesel doesn't have to say much, so it'll be easy for him) and I hear John Woo is making a load of game/film cross overs that should be great for no-brainer violence addicts like me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I love the X-men films, and the spider-mans. But as for games, FF was my fav. I'd love to see MechWarrior as a movie. I loved the battle Tech cartoon when I was younger :D

Advertisement