Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Confederations Cup 2005 - Deutschland

• 12-06-2005 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Group A
    Argentina
    Australia
    Germany
    Tunisia

Group B

Brazil
    Greece
    Japan
    Mexico

Match Schedule
    All Matches displayed in CET
    Date

Venue
    Teams
    Time
    15-Jun-05 Cologne Argentina – Tunisia 18:00
    15-Jun-05 Frankfurt Germany – Australia 21:00
    16-Jun-05 Hanover Japan – Mexico 18:00
    16-Jun-05 Leipzig Brazil – Greece 20:45
    18-Jun-05 Cologne Tunisia – Germany 18:00
    18-Jun-05 Nuremberg Australia – Argentina 20:45
    19-Jun-05 Frankfurt Greece – Japan 18:00
    19-Jun-05 Hanover Mexico – Brazil 20:45
    21-Jun-05 Leipzig Australia – Tunisia 20:45
    21-Jun-05 Nuremberg Argentina – Germany 20:45
    22-Jun-05 Frankfurt Greece – Mexico 20:45
    22-Jun-05 Cologne Japan – Brazil 20:45

Semi-final
    25-Jun-05 Nuremberg Winner A – Runner-up B 18:00
    26-Jun-05 Hanover Winner B – Runner-up A 18:00

Third-place Match
    29-Jun-05 Leipzig Third-place Match 17:45
    Final
    29-Jun-05 Frankfurt Final 20:45

Offical site - http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/c/

I think Brasil should win this. Some great matches though.. probably Brasil vs Germany/Argentina semi final

Oh these matches are on RTE & Eurosport!!

Wednesday 15th
    Germany vs Australia - RTE 2 7.45pm
    Argentina vs Tunisia highlights Eurosport 11:30pm

Saturday 18th
    Germany vs Tunisia - Eurosport 10:00
    Argentina vs Australia - RTE 2 7:30

Thursday 23rd
    Brasil Vs Greece - RTE 2 7.30
    Japan Vs Mexico - highlights Eurosport 10:00

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Why aren't France in it? They're the holders right??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Gangsta wrote:
    You don't have to defend a title no matter what a certain set of fans might think. ;);)

I also can't see Brazil failing to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eirebhoy wrote:
    You don't have to defend a title no matter what a certain set of fans might think. ;);) .

Well they are obviously choosing not to.

It's hardly the same as the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Gangsta wrote:
    Probably because they aren't champions of the continent anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Not so sure about Brazil being dead certs, Argentina beat them not so long ago to qualify for the World Cup! Also Germany are at home with places up for grabs for next years World Cup squad, it would not suprise me if they took the tournament more seriously than the other countries!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Well, brasil were playing with 4 strikers with a crazy formation in that game against argentina so i wouldnt read a lot into that.

But a lot of the major players wont be in this competition because of club commitments. It was orginally aimed at the middle east and I think its a bit crazy to have a international competition at this time of year.

Hopefully some good futty will be played. I think Kerr is on the telly as well.. I wonder if dunphy will ask him does he think he will have long left at international level :p

Not so sure about Brazil being dead certs, Argentina beat them not so long ago to qualify for the World Cup!
    Home advantage counts for a lot in South America. Brazil haven't won in Argentina in over 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Well, brasil were playing with 4 strikers with a crazy formation in that game against argentina so i wouldnt read a lot into that.
    Eirebhoy wrote:
    Home advantage counts for a lot in South America. Brazil haven't won in Argentina in over 10 years.

In a WC qualifier which is more important than the confederations cup! At this moment in time though I would consider Argentina a better team, although whoever wins this competition will probably the team which takes it the most seriously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Oh these matches are on RTE & Eurosport!!
    Some matches are live on Five also, if you have a Sky UK FTV card. They are showing the first two Brazil matches (vs Greece and vs Mexico) and both Semis and the Final live. They are showing extended highlights of all matches at 01.30 (approx) the following morning.

In a WC qualifier which is more important than the confederations cup!
    What I'm saying is Brazil nearly always lose in Argentina so if they lost their last week it doesn't mean Argentina are the better team. Brazil are the better team on neutral ground imo and most of their 3rd string beat a strong Argentina team in the Copa America final last year.

Argentina: Abbondancieri, Coloccini, Ayala, Heinze, Javier Zanetti, Mascherano, Sorin, Gonzalez (D'Alessandro 75 ), Rosales (Cesar Delgado 64), Tevez (Quiroga 89), Kily Gonzalez.

Brazil: Cesar, Maicon, Luisao (Cris 82), Juan, Gustavo Nery, Renato, Kleberson (Diego 54), Alex (Felipe 63), Edu, Luis Fabiano, Adriano.

Argentina probably are the stronger atm, I don't know, but I wouldn't take much from last week's match.

• Advertisement

kick off in a few minutes.. im going for a Germany and Argentina win (no surprises there)

The Argentina game is over Jolly.
    Argentina 2-1 Tunisia. Riquelma (pen) and Saviola with the Argentina goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think its a bit crazy to have a international competition at this time of year.
    :confused::confused:

World Cup.

European Championships.

yeah but the World Cup ins the WORLD CUP. Every country is gearing up for it. This is just a summer kick about.

is there anywhere where you can see this live on the interweb ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Anyone watching the Germany game on RTE?

Great game but is anyone else experiencing annoying dips in commentary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Enjoyable game so far.
    The commentary is dipping in and out, quite annoying.
    Something seriously either wrong with Germanys defense, or impressive about Australias attack, and I think its the former

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

eirebhoy wrote:
    What I'm saying is Brazil nearly always lose in Argentina so if they lost their last week it doesn't mean Argentina are the better team. Brazil are the better team on neutral ground imo and most of their 3rd string beat a strong Argentina team in the Copa America final last year.

Argentina: Abbondancieri, Coloccini, Ayala, Heinze, Javier Zanetti, Mascherano, Sorin, Gonzalez (D'Alessandro 75 ), Rosales (Cesar Delgado 64), Tevez (Quiroga 89), Kily Gonzalez.

Brazil: Cesar, Maicon, Luisao (Cris 82), Juan, Gustavo Nery, Renato, Kleberson (Diego 54), Alex (Felipe 63), Edu, Luis Fabiano, Adriano.

Argentina probably are the stronger atm, I don't know, but I wouldn't take much from last week's match.

As well as that, both teams are almost gaurenteed world cup spots anyway, so while there is a hell of a lot of pride and bragging rights at stake loseing isn't the end of the world.

I'd agree that Brazil are better, and Argentina are my second team at international level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I think it's a mixture of the both. (poor German defending, impressive Aussie attack)

kerr chatting away but i wonder is the closest he is going to get to the WC Finals.:p

• Advertisement

kerr chatting away but i wonder is the closest he is going to get to the WC Finals.
    Donnybrook? Nah, he was in Switzerland and Paris not so long ago. :p

Germany could certainly do with a Kenny Cunningham at the back. That defense is brutal. There was no line at all. Brett Emerton was left completely free 6 yards out for the last goal. The more I watch Huth, the more I feel he's vastly overrated.

Huth's a kid, he has potential and thats what people rate him for, and then in turn people view this rating as current ability.
    The kids gona be great in the future, but atm, he doesn't cut it quite at that level, especially leading historically the best defense in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

That last goal for Germany was great. I didn't see it all, but it seemed pretty good and with good goals, well that is what the neutral wants!

Just noticed the other centre half was only 20. Very young pairing so they can be forgiven. :) Huth has been playing a lot for Germany recently and it seems Klinsmann sees him as a first teamer. I don't think he's anywhere near good enough yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Klinsmann was trying out a new defensive setup. Most German club and national sides normally play 3 at the back with a 3-5-2...

This was a traditional 4-4-2 with 2 pretty inexperienced international centre backs for germany and it showed... They were brutal at the back, but thats what these type of games are for... getting young players experience.

Australia will be dissapointed with the result, when they could be walking away with a win.

Germany overall were not that impressive. They dont seem to have the presence that previous german teams have had.

Looks like there will be some good games being shown on RTE so i think ill check them out when they are on...

One thing I found 'new' for a german national side was a black player playing for germany... I dont think there has been one before??? I'm sure the Asamoah's of the Rhein Valley are proud of their young fella ;)

One thing I found 'new' for a german national side was a black player playing for germany... I dont think there has been one before??? I'm sure the Asamoah's of the Rhein Valley are proud of their young fella ;)
    He's from Ghana, both parents from Ghana. He moved to Germany when he was 12. He's lived in Germany less years than he lived in Ghana. :)

That said, I can't imagine he remembers much of his time in Ghana, or playing that much football there

PHB wrote:
    That said, I can't imagine he remembers much of his time in Ghana, or playing that much football there
    I'm basically just showing that Ireland aren't the only country that have them. :) Even though he spent 11 years in Germany, I doubt he feels German. I am guessing that he chose Germany for career reasons and I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong. If I moved over to England with my 12 year old son, he could think again if he thought he was playing for England (or any other country). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Klinsmann was trying out a new defensive setup. Most German club and national sides normally play 3 at the back with a 3-5-2...
    Apparently Klinsmann is trying to break from tradition and the assumed German libero tactic.

Whether he wants to do this himself or he feels he doesnt have the right players is another thing.
    Hes actually been playing for the German side for a while now. There is also a similar situation going on with Poland, although the name of the "Pole" escapes me at the moment.

• Advertisement

Hes actually been playing for the German side for a while now. There is also a similar situation going on with Poland, although the name of the "Pole" escapes me at the moment.
    Emmanuel Olisadebe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'm basically just showing that Ireland aren't the only country that have them. :) Even though he spent 11 years in Germany, I doubt he feels German. I am guessing that he chose Germany for career reasons and I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong. If I moved over to England with my 12 year old son, he could think again if he thought he was playing for England (or any other country). :)

Slightly different to signing up players who have never been to the country though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

kerr chatting away but i wonder is the closest he is going to get to the WC Finals.:p

Nonsense! I'm sure they'll have him back next summer to be on the panel for the finals themselves too. Not like he'll have anything else to do.

BTW, hasn't Asamoah been around for years now? I seem to remember him having a few sub appearances in WC2002?

Stekelly wrote:
    Slightly different to signing up players who have never been to the country though.
    At least they've Irish blood. At least 1/4 of their family are Irish. Cascarino aside. :) Either way, Asamoah does not consider himself German and Matt Holland does not consider himself Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Sure there are stacks of players like that, I wonder if Vieira, Davids, Seedorf, Gullit etc. consider themselves to be from their birth countries or from their naturalised nations?

I know a guy from college whos mother is French and he was in France at the time of the World Cup final. His family in France are very conservative right wing heads, and he was saying the wouldnt even watch the French football team at the time because of the lack of what they considered to be "French" players. Crazy stuff I know.

Great game last nite though. Australia can consider themselves unlucky.

Is the Brazil Greece match on TV tonight?

• Advertisement

yeah, rte at 7:30.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

eirebhoy wrote:
    At least they've Irish blood. At least 1/4 of their family are Irish. Cascarino aside. :) Either way, Asamoah does not consider himself German and Matt Holland does not consider himself Irish.

Thats coz Matt "the invisible man" Holland would never get a game with England so he took the easy option and chose Ireland.

Anyway as this competition goes I think its quite entertaining and most of the teams have brought out there full squads with them so should be good.
    I seriously think that Argentina are a better team than Brazil. There is way too much hype around Brazil and no matter what team they have people just assume they are the best because they are "Brazil". Argentina have a cracking team in all positions. they have a great defense and a strong midfield not just attacking like the Brazilians. I think that is there downfall they play too attacking and teams with strong defenses and good forwards can exploit that. Argentina proved that in the last game between the two when they were 3-0 up at half time and then just totally relaxed in the econd half where they coped with the brazilians pretty easily. Then again I think its a close run thing between the two so if someone says Brazil are better you cant really srgue too much.

I fancy Argentina to win the whole thing though Germany have a developing team with lots of young players but judging from last nights performance it will take alot of work to get it right. Maybe we will see a better side once the world cup comes around. I feel its got to be either Brazil or Argentina but ill go for Argentina.
    Stekelly wrote:
    Well they are obviously choosing not to.

It's hardly the same as the CL.

Sorry the rules of the confederations cup state that the defending champions dont get automatic entry to the competition you have to qualify for it so no France did not have the choice in this they didnt qualify for it. The way it works is:

Winner of European Championships - Greece
    Winner of Copa America - Argentina qualify as brazil qualify as world cup winners
    Winner of Asian Cup - Japan
    Winner of African Nations - Tunisia
    Winner of North American Championships - Mexico
    Winner of Oceania Championships - Australia
    Winner of World Cup - Brazil
    Host nation of upcoming world cup - Germany

Fifa dont change their rules to allow the defending champions in.

Draupnir wrote:
    yeah, rte at 7:30.
    Nice one.

Thursday night and all, definitely grab a few cold ones for this.

I cant wait for Greece to beat the "World Champions Elect" 1-0 and keep quiet all the people that think the WC will be leaving European soil. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

eirebhoy wrote:
    Matt Holland does not consider himself Irish.

Did Holland actually say this? :confused: What is his official position on the matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pigman II wrote:
    Did Holland actually say this? :confused: What is his official position on the matter?

I seriously doubt he has said that he doesn't consider himself to be anything other than 100% Irish.

B.

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote:
    Well then, Aiden McGeady did. :)

Fair play to RTE for showing the tournament. I think i might even send a email and say as much. There is at least 3 great matches. Brasil vs argentina and brasil vs germany.

I never rated Mr Invisible, I dont give a rats ass if he calls himself english and sings god save the queens every time he lines out for ireland. He's just there to make up the numbers. Mac Geady on the other hand has to play a competitve match for ireland so he wont play for scotland !! cap him soon kerr.

Argentina might beat brasil, they have a pretty strong team

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

"Mac Geady on the other hand has to play a competitve match for ireland so he wont play for scotland !! cap him soon kerr."

McGeady has played for Ireland at Senior Level so cannot play for any other country? :confused:

yeah McGeady is already sewn up, he played in the Unity Cup. Doesnt have to be competitive anymore.

There is at least 3 great matches. Brasil vs argentina and brasil vs germany.
    The competition consists of 2 groups of 4 teams. 2 teams from each group qualify for the semi's. Unless Brazil meets Argentina or Germany in the semi's and then meets the other in the final you won't be seeing those 2 games.

friendly matches dont count. it has to be a competitive game.

yeah eirebhoy, but the money is on the above in happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

friendly matches dont count. it has to be a competitive game.
    You sure?

People are writing off Greece again I see :)
    European champions :) Total dedication

I'd like to see Germany vs. Greece, or Brazil vs. Greece

Greece to win 1-0 against Brazil, 10/1 with PP.

Add Charisteas to score it makes it 60/1.

i read it in a tabloid

• Advertisement
Advertisement