Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Confederations Cup 2005 - Deutschland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Greece have no chance, one tournie wonders without a doubt. :) 3-1 Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

How many Premiership players are playing in this?
    Four?
    Heinze + Cahill + Schawzger(bad spelling in know) + Greek guy at Bolton?
    Does not at all bode well

PHB wrote:
    Does not at all bode well
    I'm lost. Why? :)

Anyway, with the help of google...

Aussies:
    Cahill, Emerton, Lucas Neil, Popovic (well not any more), Schwarzer, Viduka.

Argentina:
    Heinze.

Greece:
    Chalkias, Stelios, Lakis.

Germany:
    Huth, Lehmenn.

Japan:
    Inamoto.

Tunisia:
    Nafti,

Cause this is the compo with the top teams from all the continents, i.e. two top from each continent.
    Its meant to be made up of the best in the world, but in reality has at least the top 4 teams in the world, and the prem should have more of them.

How many of these players play in La Liga?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

PHB wrote:
    Cause this is the compo with the top teams from all the continents, i.e. two top from each continent.

I already posted up how teams qualify for this tournament. For your convenience ill post it again so read it and maybe then you can give a more informative view
    Kingp35 wrote:

Winner of European Championships - Greece
    Winner of Copa America - Argentina qualify as brazil qualify as world cup winners
    Winner of Asian Cup - Japan
    Winner of African Nations - Tunisia
    Winner of North American Championships - Mexico
    Winner of Oceania Championships - Australia
    Winner of World Cup - Brazil
    Host nation of upcoming world cup - Germany

How is this related to qualification?
    I wasn't talking about qualification, I was talking about the teams in it.
    Perhaps if you weren't so quick to jump the gun you wouldn't call other posts ill-informed

Its got the top two teams from Europe and South America.
    And the top team from the other continents.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

PHB wrote:
    How is this related to qualification?
    I wasn't talking about qualification, I was talking about the teams in it.
    Perhaps if you weren't so quick to jump the gun you wouldn't call other posts ill-informed

Its got the top two teams from Europe and South America.
    And the top team from the other continents.

You would want to make this a bit clearer it seems as if you are saying the top two from each continent or something along those lines.

I get you now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    Its meant to be made up of the best in the world, but in reality has at least the top 4 teams in the world
    Who are your top 4 teams in the world.

Brazil
    Argentina
    Germany???
    Greece???

Yeh.

World Cup winners Brazil
    Copa Runners up, recently showed up Brazil - Argentina
    World Cup Runners up - Germany
    Euro 2004 Winners - Greece

No other teams have shown they have the capability to go the distance in the compos

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Yeh.

World Cup winners Brazil

No other teams have shown they have the capability to go the distance in the compos
    What about Portugal? They got to the final of the EC.

Germany and Greece are not the two strongest European sides.

PHB wrote:
    Yeh.

World Cup winners Brazil

First of all the world cup was 3 years ago so teams have changed alot since then and if you watched the germany game last night you will see that the german team is almost entirely different so how can you measure that team on something a different set of players did 3 years ago?? Makes no sense to me.

Greece are a poor side they were a poor side when they won the Euro 2004 title too. if you want proof of this they are lying in 3rd in their qualifying group with chances of them qualifying getting slimmer every game they play and its looking like will not qualify. They recently lost at home to the ukraine which hardly makes them in the top four in the world.

the other two teams I would agree they are very good and alot of people would put them in their top four.

As for the final four teams they will do nothing is this tournament and nothing in the world cup should they make and are average teams.

So saying this is supposed to be best teams in the world is way way off the mark.

Germany got to the final of the World Cup with a 'poor team'
    Greece won the Euro 2005 with a 'poor team'

The German team is not entirly different and to say it is is just a fallacy.
    It has new faces, but the spine of the team, cept the back CB's remains

Greece's qualification might be going badly, but they are essentially the same team as winning the Euro 2004. They have it in them, I'm sure they will qualify, and then they'll be in with a good chance of going far in the World Cup.

Maybe England/France/Italy/Spain/Porgual/Holland have 'better' teams, i.e. teams with better players, but none of them have shown in recent times, cept Portugal who I think would be up there in the top 7, that they can go the distance in touraments.

Greece deserved to win Euro 2004 but Germany got an easy path as you can ask for to the final of the WC.

Anyway, Greece will be slaughtered tonight. :)

Holy ****, did anyone just see that goal by Adriano.
    My jaw just droppped.
    ****ing hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

PHB wrote:
    Holy ****, did anyone just see that goal by Adriano.
    My jaw just droppped.
    ****ing hell

Yeah what a shot! There was nothing ANY keeper could have done with that!

Amazing!

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

brillant goal but brasil arent really playing at their best

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

still far too good for Greece though

Juninho better move before Houllier gets his hands on him. He looked chuffed watching him score that. :)

That Goumas fella should have sent off for that crap dive. Idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I didnt see all of that game last night between Brazil and Greece, but the bits I did see were very good. Between that and the game the previous night, this is quite a good tournament. The teams are playing their up and coming stars, and Brazil were very good last night. Greece, who looked ragged at times, had no answer. Dont forget that the whole game plan that Greece used in Euro2004 was to defend, defend and score a breakaway or a set piece goal. They didnt have to come from behind in any game. The Adriano goal was exceptional, but he is a percentages player (like everyone really) and missed the target more often than not. The 2nd goal finished by Robinho came across the goal from a mis-directed shot by Adriano. Brazil were very good at regaining possession and the game was a procession with only one half chance for [Greece]. Juninho's free kick was exquisite.

The good thing about this tournament is that there doesnt seem to be any pressure on the players or coaches. Its a case of go out, play well and have fun. The world cup and the euro's have much more pressure which seems to affect teams and the entertainment value at times.

So far, its been good.

In terms of whether its the best teams in the world right now, clearly its not, but they are good teams nonetheless. FIFA could pick their top-8 from their FIFA rankings list as an alternative, but its a celebration tournament of the global presence of the game, not a replacement for the world cup. Here is the latest top-8 according to FIFA's marking system, which has its flaws:

1 Brazil 0 829 -2
    2 Czech Republic 0 790 6
    3 Argentina 0 785 7
    4 Netherlands 1 783 24
    5 France -1 765 -4
    6 Mexico 1 759 6
    7 England -1 757 3
    8 Portugal 1 755 15

And the "Elephant Rankings" system:
    1 Brazil 81.70
    2 Argentina 81.52
    3 England 79.90
    4 Czech Republic 79.74
    5 Netherlands 79.06
    6 Mexico 78.77
    7 Spain 77.45
    8 Portugal 77.20
    9 Greece 77.01
    10 Germany 76.38

How did England get to 3rd place on that? hmmmm

Redpider

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What are Elephant Rankings?
    I reckon too many people underestimate the South American leagues. There are a lot of players plying their trade there who are streets ahead of a lot of the dross in the Premiership/Liga/Serie A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

What are Elephant Rankings?
    I reckon too many people underestimate the South American leagues. There are a lot of players plying their trade there who are streets ahead of a lot of the dross in the Premiership/Liga/Serie A.

google: elephant football rankings
    http://www.elerankings.com/frameworldfootball.htm
    It was discussed on another thread at one point.
    Ireland are currently 21st, compared with 15th on FIFA's.

Yes, I agree that there is a lot of quality in the south american leagues. I dont know if any of you have ever seen the Brasil Campeanato games on C4 shown in the middle of the night and about a week late, but very good skilful footballers on show there, although they tend to be physically small and defences are not the best. There is a big risk that they may not fit into the EU climate, obviously easier in Spain than in England. An example for Man U recently was Forlan. Its a hit or miss but I think clubs should always have a couple coming in, say on 2 year contracts, and then see if they develop.

redspider

eirebhoy wrote:
    Greece deserved to win Euro 2004 but Germany got an easy path as you can ask for to the final of the WC.

Anyway, Greece will be slaughtered tonight. :)

Greece are most definitely a poor side and I cant see them qualifying for the world cup tbh. I agree they did deserve to win the Euros though even if it was like watching paint dry. they played the perfect tactics to suit the players they had. Problem with qualification for this world cup is they have to go out and try and beat the teams especially at home if they are to qualify and greece just cant do that.

take last night for example. They were doing reasonably well, defending at least, until Adriano scored and then true class showed. greece cant attack and if they go behind they offer nothing in attack. this is why they wont qualify as they find it hard when they have to go out and beat teams. Those tactics can only work for so long and if a team scores against them they dont know what to do. that was clearly evident last night. the team lacks imagination and the ability to change their tactics around at certain times in the game.

Brazil didnt look particularily hot last night either though, despite scoring three goals, so Im going to stick with my prediction of Argentina winning the competition. Would like to see them play each other again though at some stage in the competition with Brazil out for revenge. Would be a great game

The South American leagues are far worse than the European leagues, demonstrated that there are only seven home based players chosen in the Brazil and Argentina squads combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

there are only seven home based players chosen in the Brazil and Argentina squads combined.

i didnt realise that, very surprised.

did anyone see the brasil mexico game ? Fair play to mek i ko for winning. That first peno should have counted.

The way brasil kept trying to play through the middle got a big fustrating after a while , like dont they have ANY wingers ?

good game all the same,,

PHB wrote:
    Greece's qualification might be going badly, but they are essentially the same team as winning the Euro 2004. They have it in them, I'm sure they will qualify, and then they'll be in with a good chance of going far in the World Cup.

Greece lost 0-1 to Japan and they were absolutely terrible again.They offered nothing in attack and japan missed numerous good chances to really give them a hiding. Again ill state that greece are a poor side and they will not qualify for the world cup never mind get far in it.

On another note well done to Mexico. I saw them against Japan and they were very good. They have qualified all ready. Its Japan against Brazil to see who qualifies. Makes for an interesting game now even though the brazilians are overwhelming favourites to go through as they only need a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Kingp35 wrote:
    Greece lost 0-1 to Japan and they were absolutely terrible again.They offered nothing in attack and japan missed numerous good chances to really give them a hiding. Again ill state that greece are a poor side and they will not qualify for the world cup never mind get far in it.

On another note well done to Mexico. I saw them against Japan and they were very good. They have qualified all ready. Its Japan against Brazil to see who qualifies. Makes for an interesting game now even though the brazilians are overwhelming favourites to go through as they only need a draw

I can't really see anything but a win for Brazil in that game. Japan aren't a great side, but Brazil seem to be underperforming a bit so it should be an interesting game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

did anyone see the brasil mexico game ? Fair play to mek i ko for winning. That first peno should have counted.

The way brasil kept trying to play through the middle got a big fustrating after a while , like dont they have ANY wingers ?

good game all the same,,

Did you see the little overhead flick the Mexican guy did in the first half when he over ran the ball? :eek:

Think he put a few of the Brazilians to shame with that bit of skill.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Down through the years the Mexicans have always imho been the best at incorporating little bits of unorthodox skill into their play

Anyone remember that guy from 98 who liked to 'hopscotch' past fullbacks with the ball trapped between his feet? Classic :)

Pigman II wrote:
    Down through the years the Mexicans have always imho been the best at incorporating little bits of unorthodox skill into their play

Anyone remember that guy from 98 who liked to 'hopscotch' past fullbacks with the ball trapped between his feet? Classic :)

Yeah that was Blanco. Its a good trick for any GAA players out there to learn. Works a charm for a quick way to pick the ball up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Kingp35 wrote:
    Yeah that was Blanco. Its a good trick for any GAA players out there to learn. Works a charm for a quick way to pick the ball up

That was Hernandez actually , Luis Hernandes I think the full name was .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Just read that Klinsmann has decided to start Timo Hildebrand in goal for the Argentina match, seeing as they're already into the semi-final.

Hopefully, Alex Ferguson will be watching the match!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Big Ears wrote:
    That was Hernandez actually , Luis Hernandes I think the full name was .

Well Blanco definately did it too. Remember were all trying it in school after saying "hah i blanco'd ya..ya langer"

oh the innocence..

someone else entirely brought it up this year and tried it in a college match so between the 2 diff groups Blanco def did it too. i should be a lawyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

~Rebel~ wrote:
    i should be a lawyer.

Ah yes, the infamous 'Blanco vs Fullback' trial. That one seemed to go on forever.

Anyway, I think Blanco is the guy I'm talking about. Fat bloke with jetblack hair. Wasn't Hernandez a blonde guy with a Forlan haircut going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Pigman II wrote:
    Wasn't Hernandez a blonde guy with a Forlan haircut going on?

Yes and he certainly did do that trick too .

does anyone know of where you can see the Brasil Japan match on the internet ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

What game is on RTE/Bravo tonight?

does anyone know of where you can see the Brasil Japan match on the internet ??

Its live on RTE tonight. Are you outside the country at the moment or something?

im not , but my mate is and he is DESPERATE to watch the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus what a goal by Japan, that was one hell of a shot !!!

Japan 1 - Brazil 1 so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

great goal by Ronaldihno to put Brazil 2-1 up but yeah that Japanese goal was something special

2-2 result. it would have been nice to see brasil to go out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What the hell was the ref doing giving a goal kick at the end, especially after th eBrazilian left full was swinging out of the Japanese player. The linesman never flagged once, I reckon the ref was taking the easy way out and favouring Brazil.

Ronaldinho doing a rivaldo and falling on his arse at the end after the Brazil corner. All that was missing was for him to grab his face. I thought he was gone asleep he stayed down that long/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

feck,no-one told me the match stared 23 mins ago!!!!!!!

anyone watchin???

ger 1-1 bra so far

fill me in damn it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Not much to fill in 2-1 to Brazil now Peno , Huth mauling Oh so Lonley Akon

Not a great match germans trying to defend thus brasil having most of the ball.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Peno to germany now :D

Ballack dived, Huth mauling Roque Junior should have been a free out , huth like a kid getting his 1st game if this was a real match he be sent off.

kdjac

2-2

Ballack

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Not a bad game. Roque Jnr should be shot though, useless player.
    Ballack reminiscent of the CL quarter finals with that dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I really dislike Roque Junior. He is, imo, Brazils weakest player. A lot of goals have come because of faults made by him. They really need to work on their defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Huth mauling Oh so Lonley Akon

hahahhahaa kdjac

cheers for the update ;)

ballack always dives btw,always.It looks like the john o shea peno incident against israel is gonna happen more often in the internationals,me being of the opinion that it was'nt a peno of course!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement