Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Confederations Cup 2005 - Deutschland

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

kdjac

do ye know what george hamilton was on about re that adriano offside??he said somethin about de-regulation???!!!

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

yermandan wrote:
    kdjac

do ye know what george hamilton was on about re that adriano offside??he said somethin about de-regulation???!!!

:confused:

Doubt even george knew what he was talking about but some finish.

3-2 now game just over

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I saw bits of the Brazil 3-2 Germany game earlier this evening,. Once again, quite a good match. This has been a good tournament so far and its shaping up to be a Brazil/Argentina final, which could be a classic, unless the petulance between these two great footballing nations get the better of them and football loses out. We'll see.

Redspider

So mexico v argentina today..

Mexico seem to be playing the football of their lives at the moment.Does anyone see them turning the argies over???
    I cant see it myself and i want a brasil argentina final...

george hamilton :"saviola's out of the final if they get there,and he's out of the 3rd place play-off IF they get there too"

haha :D

tool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Pity,would of liken to see Mexico go through to final...Some nice football from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The argentinians seem to have perfected the legal forearm smash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Bloody RTE not showing the game live though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

does anyone know the score

it was 0-0 when i switched to top gear with about 10 -15 mins to go so im guessing it finished 1-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

To whom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

It went to penos, with Arg winning 6-5.

Chubb76 wrote:
    To whom

Sorry, I'd assumed you had read the other posts.

mad m wrote:
    Pity,would of liken to see Mexico go through to final...Some nice football from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Slash/ED wrote:
    Bloody RTE not showing the game live though :(

Yeah I know. :rolleyes:

I tuned in late and for some reason I checked the teletext only to find out the match finished 6-5 on penalties!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

So the final is tonight and I think Brazil, the supposed best team in the world, will limp across the finish line first for this. Ive been very disappointed with Brazils overall play in this competition, and I cant see them winning the WC unless they get some defenders that can defend, and learn how to defend from set pieces.

Argentina have done alright I suppose but again I couldnt see them winning the competition next year.

On a side note Argentina are seriously good value on PP at 2/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm seriously looking forward to this match.
    I honastly believe this is a showdown of the WC Final next year, and I think whoever wins this could have a big advantage in that game, cause if Argentina do it, they'll have beaten Brazil 2 times in a row, going for the treble.
    Gona be a great match :)

I would be prepared to be any money that this will not be the WC final next year.

Both teams are far too weak defensively.

On a side note Argentina are seriously good value on PP at 2/1.
    Jeez. That's very good odds.

PHB wrote:
    I honastly believe this is a showdown of the WC Final next year, and I think whoever wins this could have a big advantage in that game, cause if Argentina do it, they'll have beaten Brazil 2 times in a row, going for the treble.
    I don't think it'll make a blind bit of difference tbh!

B.

Jivin, they are weak defensivly, but who's gona beat em?

Jokingly underachieveers at this stage England?
    Holland, with at least two more player revolts to come?
    Italy, after their amazing preformance in the EC?
    France, who can't beat Israel or Ireland?

• Advertisement

Why haven't you mentioned the home team?

B.

PHB wrote:
    Jivin, they are weak defensivly, but who's gona beat em?
    Brazil? How about Mexico? Or Japan?

Argentina are well beatable too. They dont have the same quality through the spine of their team that they have had in better years.

The fact that the world cup is in Europe will make a massive difference as well.
    PHB wrote:
    Jokingly underachieveers at this stage England?
    True, but I have a feeling they might actually be a threat.
    PHB wrote:
    Holland, with at least two more player revolts to come?
    You obviously havnt been watching much of Holland recently. All the players of the notorious team of the nineties have retired or been given early retirement.
    PHB wrote:
    Italy, after their amazing preformance in the EC?
    Where they were eliminated following a match so fixed that it would put their own domestic league to shame? Very possibly.
    PHB wrote:
    France, who can't beat Israel or Ireland?
    If they get there, they could easily win it.

And what about Portugal or Germany? They will definitely be in there also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Anyone who thinks the Denmark V Sweden game was fixed is crazy .

Big Ears wrote:
    Anyone who thinks the Denmark V Sweden game was fixed is crazy .
    I dont know are you messing or not, but once the 2-2 scoreline was achieved the match was "less than competitive".

No to mention the goalkeeping error that led to the last gasp equaliser.

Wasn't there also a lot of very dubious decisions in Italy's own matches?

B.

I cant really remember to be honest, and when I think back all I see is a gob of phlegm coming from Francesco Totti's mouth, and then a horror tackle on some player.

But the main point I was making regarding the whole issue was that I dont think Italy can be discounted from next years WC based on their performance in last years EC.

• Advertisement

But the main point I was making regarding the whole issue was that I dont think Italy can be discounted from next years WC based on their performance in last years EC.

I'd agree totally. Plus you can't discount Germany's chances as the home team. They managed to get to the final last time with a pretty average team.

B.

I wouldnt at all.

Despite performances in this competition which have been very lacklustre at times, particularly defensively, they have shown some good potential and should be a stronger side in twelve months time.

They have a few good players in Schweinstieger, Diesler, and of course Ballack. Phillipe Lahm will also be back from injury who greatly impressed me in the EC last year.

I cant see the WC going out of Europe to be honest. I just pray we will be there to see it.

I don't discount any of these teams chances, but I don't think any of them are particuarly good.
    I don't think there is any team who is as good at attacking as Brazil or Argentina, and there doesn't seem to be any team who is good defensivly full stop :)

PHB wrote:
    I don't discount any of these teams chances, but I don't think any of them are particuarly good.
    I don't think there is any team who is as good at attacking as Brazil or Argentina, and there doesn't seem to be any team who is good defensivly full stop :)
    There is no doubting that Brazil have the best attacking players in the world, and that Argentina have a few gems too.

They have both looked very flash at times in this competition but they have been up against weak opposition in the most part, but yet they have still been a shambles at the back.

When they come up against the more prepared European sides (Germany are still in a transitional phase) they will struggle I think. Sides like Holland, Czech, Sweden, and Italy are all solid enough at the back to keep the flash stars on some sort of leash and have good enough attacking players to make a total mockery of Roque Junior and co.

Where they were eliminated following a match so fixed that it would put their own domestic league to shame? Very possibly..

Nope, where they were eliminated for not earning enough points. Italy have the players to win competitions. If it comes down to the results between the other teams in the group to decide whether they qualify or not, then they are not good enough.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    Nope, where they were eliminated for not earning enough points. Italy have the players to win competitions. If it comes down to the results between the other teams in the group to decide whether they qualify or not, then they are not good enough.
    Italy had the same amount of points as the other two teams, they were eliminated because the other teams scored more goals in the games between the three, because they played for a high scoring draw. Something Italy have no control over.

It took a last minute goal keeping error to provide Sweden with their equaliser against a neighbouring and historically friendly country, in a match that needed a 2-2 draw to send both these countries through. PP had slashed odds on this result days before the game to as little as 4/11 :eek: if I remember.

Italy were extremely unlucky not to go through, there is no denying this. They got the same results as both of the other teams. To claim they dont have a chance next year on the basis that they were eliminated so early last year is nonsense. Whos to say they wouldnt have won the competition had they made it out of the groups? They would have even out-bored Greece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

You can't judge teams on a glorified pre season friendly tournament which is what this is no matter how they try and hype it up, players want to win it yes but it's not exactly the world cup.

Brazil especially are always poor before world cups. If memory serves they finished way off first in their qualifying group for 2002, narrowly missing out on having to take part in a play off to qualify (It went to the last game or near enough iirc). Yet despite what we all know what happened when they showed up in Japan and South Korea.

Brazil, Argentina and Germany would be my clear favourites to win in '06, in that order.

Italy had the same amount of points as the other two teams, they were eliminated because the other teams scored more goals in the games between the three, because they played for a high scoring draw. Something Italy have no control over.

It took a last minute goal keeping error to provide Sweden with their equaliser against a neighbouring and historically friendly country, in a match that needed a 2-2 draw to send both these countries through. PP had slashed odds on this result days before the game to as little as 4/11 :eek: if I remember.

Italy were extremely unlucky not to go through, there is no denying this. They got the same results as both of the other teams. To claim they dont have a chance next year on the basis that they were eliminated so early last year is nonsense. Whos to say they wouldnt have won the competition had they made it out of the groups? They would have even out-bored Greece.

Yes, but they should have beaten the other teams, and rendered the result in th elast gam eirrelevant (sp?). They didnt play well, and they were knocked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus Brazil 2 up Adriano & Kaka

Both very good goals !!

AMAZIN goals...If adriano and kaka and co play like this offensivly then i cant see anyone beating them next year...paddy power have them at around 9/2 to win next year and i am very tempted already!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

3-0 to brazil...great ronaldihno finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Adriano made it 4-0 but Aimar replied. 4-1 atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ended 4-1 to Brazil, they deserved that, Argentina were very lack lustre !!

In my opinion on the basis of this tournament, Argentina and Brazil are both going to have to seriously improve if they want to challenge for the WC next year. Both very poor at times defensively (only one clean sheet between them for the entire tournament), and both very inconsistent.

There is no doubt that these two sides have some of the best attacking players in the world, but that wont be enough to challenge some of the more solid European sides who will be strong defensively and be stronger in attack than most the sides they faced (and failed to contain) in this competition.

Im so unsure what to think of Adriano. He is obviously a huge talent, but after watching him against Mexico he just seems to be the type of player that cant put the ball in from five yards, it has to be a spectacular power drive. Having said that his goal scoring record at this level speaks for itself, and he has very strong upper body strength, almost targetman-esque which is very strange for a Brazilian. I think he is still a bit of a raw talent, but he definitely has what it takes to be one of the worlds best.

All in all a great tournament for the neutral. Lots of goals. A few red cards. Penalties. Retaken penalties. Upsets. I would take the same next year, once Ireland were competing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Lots of goals.

thats about it really from the tournament imo. wasnt really impressed with any of the games i saw. i havent seen too much of adriano so it was nice to get a better glimpse of him. and he looks outstanding.

poor old heinze had a poor tournament, and after such a long season at united i really hope this doesnt have a knock effect for next year.

its hard to judge teams in competitions like this but as said above all the teams would need a huge improvement if they are to suceed next year.

Advertisement