Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super strong beer!

Options
  • 12-06-2005 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

I thought that might get your attention! :D

Can anyone please help me with this, if they were listening to Sean Moncrieff on 106 on Friday. He had a guest on the show and the discussion was about a strong German beer. 8% to be precise! The guy warned..."this is NOT a session beer..." LOL I missed the name of it, but I think he said something about Finian's brewery. They may import or distibute it or something.

I know this may be more suited to the food/drink forum, but seeing as how I heard about it on the radio, I'll post it here.

If all else fails, I'll call the station and ask for info from there.

Damo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You can get alot of ales that are more than 8%. They're expensive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Ahh Beelzebub.. 15%

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'd also recommend the Belgian beer Duvel. 9% and an excellent grog, even nicer if you can get the special glass that it's supposed to be served in.

I remember going on a afternoon session in Brussels drinking this, and I don't remember much else after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Forbidden Fruit from Hoegaarden in Belgium is 8.5%. Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit is a claret coloured speciality beer of rare complexity, brewed according to long tradition in which the secret blend of dark malts, dried orange peel and coriander, along with bottle conditioning, create a tremendously aromatic result. It can be served lightly chilled before dinner or at room temperature afterwards.

Way off topic, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

As I was listening to the Moncrieff show yesterday, I was reminded of this question. So I called Newstalk 106 and spoke to none other than Henry. He was very helpful and asked my number to call me back, which he did soon after. There were two beers mentioned, one of which is Duvel, as DublinWriter mentioned. The other was Maiselsweisse which as I though, is a German brew.

It was suggested that they would be available in Oddbins. There are only wines listed on oddbins site and also Molloy's. Does anyone have any experience of buying these or similar strength beers in Dublin off licences?

Henry was an awful lot more relaxed when he called me back and was very courteous in thanking me for listening and calling and showing an interest. A small point to some, but still good PR.

Damo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

i've been able to buy most all the beers mentioned here in molloys in tallaght and blanch. they always seem to have a very good selection.

Advertisement