Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

V5 - is it neccessary?

• 12-06-2005 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a car in the UK for which the V5 is not available.

Anyone know if its neccessary to register the car over here .. in fact the doco thats is neccessary would be great!

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The V5 is the registration paper so if you're importing a car then I'd say yes.
    In fact if the car does'nt have one I would'nt buy it in the first instance.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,268 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

zod wrote:
    I'm thinking of buying a car in the UK for which the V5 is not available.

Anyone know if its neccessary to register the car over here .. in fact the doco thats is neccessary would be great!

thanks

If there are no registration documents with the car then walk away.

How do you know the person selling the car is the owner? This sounds very dodgy, the car could be stolen or a cut n shut job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭xtrac

As the folks said, It might be safer to walk away.

I've brought in cars from the UK with no V5, and all you have to do is print off a doc form the uk site and fill in the details and they issue a new one so you can import it over here. Can take some time though, i;ve had one in 1 weeks and still waiting on another (4 weeks now) its for a 93 civic 16 VTEC SiR saloon, nice clean car, with some small mods, its for sale as soon as I get it VRT'd and NCT'd pm me if interested, revs to 9500 :-D

-Xtrac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

One reason for it not to be present could be that it has been written off by an insurance company. In order to prevent writeoffs being put back on the road without proper repair, the V5 is only reissiued after an engineers inspection.

Advertisement