Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life of Brian vs. Holy Grail....Game on.

Options
  • 12-06-2005 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Most of us here are Python fans, so I put this question to you: Which do you think is the better movie, comedy wise, The Life of Brian or The Holy Grail.

Or compare and contrast for all you Junior/Leaving cert people out there.

Liz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

deffo the Holy Grail, The Life Of Brian is good, but The Holy Grail is in a league of its own

I'm a Life of Brian man myself, althoguh the Holy Grail has some absolutely killer lines.

also, liz put up a poll

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I can't stick up a poll after posting the thread :/ perhaps the loverly mod might care to....

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

The Life of Brian in a far better movie, imo, Grail is good though

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

Holy Grail all the way. I find it infinitely more quotable, and just funnier.

Though the Life of Brian if pretty damn good. I mean, I rarely get through a day without muttering, 'Sex, sex, sex, that's all you ever think about...'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

life of brian. you just cant beat the jehovah scene - and the beautiful randomness of the UFO scene (iirc they were wasted and needed to get him from the top of the tower to the bottom and went "SPACE ALIENS!") and of course, conjugating the sentence "romans go home"...damnit now i want to watch it :)

The ''Romans Go Home!'' scene is brilliant! I love the ''He's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy!'' and ''A bomb? Why're you giving him a bomb?'' mostly because my mum frequently quotes them on me. Actually, she frequently quotes Monty Python....

The witch scene in Holy Grail matches anything in Life of brian though tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

this question makes me feel like i'm being asked "hey, which of your children do you feel like killing today?" only not. cause that'd be a little overly eccentric.
    as classic and brilliant as holy grail is and as much as i love it, i find myself quoting life of brian much more often and i think its general consistency is stickier in the region known as my heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

It would have to be The Life of Brian - The shoe scene is priceless and my other favorite part is "can I ask you a question if its not too personall, are you a virgin?"

Meanwhile The holy grail is hillarious but the storyline isnt as strong (I know its Monty Python) and while it has some great jokes like the knights of Nigh! It lacks the hilarity of The Life of Brian. Still a great movie though, I watched it last Thursday followed by Cheech and Chongs up In smoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'd have to say Holy Grail, but it's a tough call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

I'm listening to Always Look On the Bright Side of Life on the way into the JC every morning. Stops me becoming sane from all the studying. God help us... or should that be Brian?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Depends on my mood!!

Holy Grail one day, Life of brian the next.
    If I had to choose one today???

ooohhhh- the holy grail...

Ni!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Yeah ive never seen either

please dont hate me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Difficult.

I find that Life Of Brian's hilarious moments don't outnumber, but just about outwiegh The Holy Grail's.

Although "You must cut down the greatest tree in the forrest... WITH A HERRING", The Witch scene and The whole ridiculous Frenchman part are Monty at his best, they can't match: "I think they must have Popped by for something", "WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT ... I'm not" and the bit at the start when Mrs. Cohen falls off her chair for no readily available reason.

And where is The Meaning Of Life in all this, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

Holy Grail was super. Couldn't sit through Life of Brian. So many boring bits...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

Suicide Squad! ...................... (drumroll).... "ATTACK!!!"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I can't believe nobody put "Do not mock Biggus Dickus! He **** highly in Wome!!"
    However, I would definitely go for the Holy Grail - it's madder, a lot more random, and more quotable. The Black Knight always cracks me up!
    "Tis but a scratch"
    "But you've got no arm!"
    "I've had worse. C'mon, ya pansy!!"

And of course, the songs are hysterical, such as the Camelot song or the one sung by Robin's minstrels as they go through the dark scary forest:

"Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot
    He was not afraid to die, oh brave Sir Robin
    He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways
    Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin

He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp
    Or to have his eyes gouged out, and his elbows broken
    To have his kneecaps split and his body burned away
    His limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Robin

His head smashed in, and his heart cut out
    And his liver removed, and his bowels unplugged
    And his nostrils raped, and his bottom burned off
    And his pen1s..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

The Holy Grail has some great scenes, but Life of Brian is consistently funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

holy grail for me.

for lovely randomness, how about everyone getting nicked at the end of grail! madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Personally, i prefer watching lots and lots of flying circus episodes instead :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Life of Brian is funnier for me.

"He **** very highly in Wome"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

normally id go with holy grail without a seconds thought but i had to type my answer now which gave me that extra second and now im not so sure,but screw it holy grail for me.

sorry for te above nonsense ive slept for about8 of the last 36 hours WITHOUT caffeine.

Can we stick a poll into this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Oisín Collins

Yes, the person who started the thread just has to click the "add poll" button. It's somewhere, don't know where exactly

*LATER THAT DAY*

The thread starter has to go to Thread Tools, on the top bar and click "Add a Poll to this thread".

From there on its just like normally setting up a poll with a thread.

Ta-daa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hobotastic

Holy Grail all the way. Most random film I've ever seen. Black Knight... Witch... Knights of Ni.... Wedding scene... French man.. It's brilliant!

Ois&#237 wrote: »
    Yes, the person who started the thread just has to click the "add poll" button. It's somewhere, don't know where exactly

*LATER THAT DAY*

The thread starter has to go to Thread Tools, on the top bar and click "Add a Poll to this thread".

From there on its just like normally setting up a poll with a thread.

Ta-daa

Oh hush, I tried editing it after someone suggested it at the beginning of the thread but I couldn't add a poll/I didn't see the option to. Ask the mod nicely and he might add one if you really want one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

Hobotastic wrote:
    Holy Grail all the way. Most random film I've ever seen. Black Knight... Witch... Knights of Ni.... Wedding scene... French man.. It's brilliant!
    dammit now ive gotta go watch it,and i wanted to go to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Monty Python is absolutley fantastic in general.

Life of Brian edges ahead slightly for me, tho. Probably a lil bit cos it was initially banned here. Just makes it a lil bit more hardcore! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

decisions decisions, but for me it's gotta be the life of brian. It was the first monty python I ever saw. With my brother, then my mom walked in demanding to know what we were watching. I think she thought it was corrupting me. Later she stole it and we caught her watching it and laughing.
    Ive got them all, and despite my love of "TIM", I have to say I prefer the life of Brian. Infinitely more usefull in real life.

• Advertisement

Haha, yeah Tim the Enchanter is great! "So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all - with nasty, big, pointy teeth!!"

Advertisement