Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Smart queries and a tip.

• 12-06-2005 10:59pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering now that Smart have more than a few customers out there how they are getting on? I would be interested to hear some comments on the following:

(1) speeds and pings

(2) has anyone had to get on to tech support and if so what was it like?

(3) General reliability - I know its very early days yet but any disconnections downtime etc so far?

(4) anyone using Smart with non adsl2 equipment how does it match?
    I am thinking here of all in one wireless routers in particular.

And finally for anyone thinking of getting Smart and interested in a wireless network I notice that the Linksys wag54g is now around town in an adsl2 version for about 110 euros whereas I think Smart charge 140 euros for their version.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

I am interested in the 1st 3 too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

me to, iv been starting to wonder if any smart costumers have actually gotten broadband or are they still waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Gotta say after 2 months of this "up and running" the Smart BB user is still very thin on the ground lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Anarchist wrote:
    Gotta say after 2 months of this "up and running"
    3 Months, they first connected punters in Mid March

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Can i take it then that nobody is with smart for broadband yet? Sure feck it maybe the service just doesnt work and thats why nobody is able to post, they are not able to get online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I was waiting over 3 months . got fed up with thier lies. Signed for BT I'll wait & see how they go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Narcom

There have been a few people who have posted since going live on Smart. Me for one, I know a few others have also posted pings etc.

I've been live off Dolphin's Barn since early-mid April and while I've a slightly better than normal connection, the pings are excellent.

They were originally:
    heanet 22ms; boards 27ms; jolt.co.uk 32ms.

I had my settings enhanced (interleaving etc) as part of some trial feedback for Smart and pings are more in the region of:
    heanet 7-8ms
    boards 12-15ms
    jolt 15-20ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

Smart's Oisin Fanning was quoted in the Indo last Thursday as saying that they have 1,500 live broadband customers.

I've been on Dolphin's Barn since early May. My pings are similar to Narcom's original pings (I haven't had anything tweaked). http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/ usually returns 1.8Mb to 2Mb down and 128Kb up. It does what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

dub45 wrote:
    And finally for anyone thinking of getting Smart and interested in a wireless network I notice that the Linksys wag54g is now around town in an adsl2 version for about 110 euros whereas I think Smart charge 140 euros for their version.
    I had one of these for UTV and ended up getting rid of it in the end. It is VERY unstable if using it wirelessly. Will drop connectivity for no reason (even though it may still seem to be ok if you check the connection properties), it reset twice on me - for no reason and completely erasing all the settings, and the Wireless signal strength was never great. Tons of problems reported with it on the net.

Switched to an SMC Barricade 7804WBRA that I got on dsl-warehouse.ie and it's a MUCH better option with a lot more configuration options, better wreless signal strength etc .. hasn't given me a days trouble since I got it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I've been on the Dolphins Barn exchange since April. No significant problems so far apart from a dodgy phone cable that kept disconnecting me. I do notice that the router supplied seems to lock itself sometimes (once or twice a week) and I'm not sure why. Its either overheating or locking itself for security reasons.

Pretty happy considering my phone line according to Eircon "will never be able to support BB". Funny how that changed once smart moved into the BB market.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I had one of these for UTV and ended up getting rid of it in the end. It is VERY unstable if using it wirelessly. Will drop connectivity for no reason (even though it may still seem to be ok if you check the connection properties), it reset twice on me - for no reason and completely erasing all the settings, and the Wireless signal strength was never great. Tons of problems reported with it on the net.

Switched to an SMC Barricade 7804WBRA that I got on dsl-warehouse.ie and it's a MUCH better option with a lot more configuration options, better wreless signal strength etc .. hasn't given me a days trouble since I got it

Wireless routers seem to be pretty erratic you can read bad stuff about virtually any of the brands on the net sad to say. I have used the Linksys now as has a friend of mine for quite some time no problems at all. Similarly another friend of mine has the netgear 834g and it works fine for him yet I have read some dire comments on it on the net so you pays your money and hopes for the best unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

How's does one get interleaving turned off (I assume) to get lower pings on Smart?

I'm getting:
    heanet.ie - 21ms, boards.ie - 33ms, jolt.co.uk - 31ms.

Can you just phone up tech support and ask them?

Also since I moved to Smart from Eircom I seem to have lost the ability to upload files to ftp servers (1 Irish based & 1 US based). Would anyone have any clue as to what the issue would be? I'm awaiting a callback from Smart tech support.

There was a bit of a debate bout this in one of the Smart threads. You have to email Garfield and request it. I think if you go to tech support they will tell you it is not available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Splendid

Excuse my ignorance, but what is interleaving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Splendid wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is interleaving?
    It is a technique of improving the reliability of a connection at the expense of latency. Not really necessary in most cases. Eircom had high interleaving on their initial ADSL offering back in 2001. Their more recent RADSL (the current residential offerings) have low interleaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Splendid

Ah, now i get yis,
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

I noticed these questions on Smart Broadband FAQ page here

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/products/broadband/faq.htm

Do Smart Broadband have download or upload limits?

"There is no limits on the amount of data that can be downloaded or uploaded however users whose usage is deemed excessive on a regular basis will be contacted and restrictions will be used if the activity persists."

However I was wondering what is actually deemed excessive, as it would be impossible to to figure out if a client was using excessively.

Also I have noticed that Smart say that Contention ratios do not exist on the same page. Surely this would mean that it would not matter about excessive use as the person downloading would not be using up too much capacity as there is no contention.

What is the contention ratio on the Smart broadband product?

"Smart Broadband is not designed around the concept of contention. Smart Telecom owns and operates its own high-capacity fibre-optic network. As any link in the Smart network approaches capacity, it will be automatically be upgraded. Smart Broadband users will continue to enjoy the unrestricted high-speed Internet access"

Anyone any thoughts?

odie wrote:

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/products/broadband/faq.htm

Do Smart Broadband have download or upload limits?

Anyone any thoughts?

You really are inviting a flood of abuse with those questions. There are Smart threads on those subjects that are longer thatn 'War and Peace'!

Have a look for them in the bb forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Narcom wrote:
    I had my settings enhanced (interleaving etc) as part of some trial feedback for Smart and pings are more in the region of:
    heanet 7-8ms
    boards 12-15ms
    jolt 15-20ms
    They are very impressive figures if Smart were to allow changing interleaving as part of their package they would have very gamer in their catchment screaming for their attention.

Of course their catchment area is presently smaller then my left shoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jack_christie

odie wrote:

"There is no limits on the amount of data that can be downloaded or uploaded however users whose usage is deemed excessive on a regular basis will be contacted and restrictions will be used if the activity persists."

However I was wondering what is actually deemed excessive, as it would be impossible to to figure out if a client was using excessively.

You really would need a figure for what is considered excessive otherwise the whole thing could end up in a Surf No Limits style fiasco. Not really a contract you could trust with a hidden sledgehammer clause like that.

JC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

im on smart broadband

2meg connection for 35 eurotasms per month, no line rental and had no connection charge...

had no problems so far with it apart from the routing to a friends swedish FTP, routing to sweden (mainly stockholm) seemed to go over 14 hops which im wondering a bit about..

download speeds generally around 200kb/s

apart from the swedish ftp where i get 15-20kb/s almost consistantly and i worry about that, as we store alot of info on there.

Maybe garfield can englighten/help me on this situation if possible. Ive done several tracerts but all seem to come back with what seems normal pings (generally 15-80) but going over 14 hops to get to the destination. Has anyone else noticed this??

Narcom wrote:
    There have been a few people who have posted since going live on Smart. Me for one, I know a few others have also posted pings etc.

I've been live off Dolphin's Barn since early-mid April and while I've a slightly better than normal connection, the pings are excellent.

They were originally:
    heanet 22ms; boards 27ms; jolt.co.uk 32ms.

heanet 7-8ms
    boards 12-15ms
    jolt 15-20ms

hmm juicy pingtimes on the enhanced, how would one go about sorting that out then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Big Chief wrote:
    hmm juicy pingtimes on the enhanced, how would one go about sorting that out then :)

Big Chief,

Tried to PM you, but it's failing. PM me and I'll see if your line will support interleaving being switched off (lower ping times).

Garfield.

Big Chief,

Tried to PM you, but it's failing. PM me and I'll see if your line will support interleaving being switched off (lower ping times).

Garfield.

ah had 250 pm's stored, never quite got around to deleting those from decades ago.

Cleared them all out now, and sent you a pm

many thanks :)

SkepticOne wrote:
    It is a technique of improving the reliability of a connection at the expense of latency. Not really necessary in most cases. Eircom had high interleaving on their initial ADSL offering back in 2001. Their more recent RADSL (the current residential offerings) have low interleaving.

hmm by reliability how much are we talking here, i can deal with an extra 20ms if it means its going to be unstable :confused: (i.e i download... alot)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Baud

Also since I moved to Smart from Eircom I seem to have lost the ability to upload files to ftp servers (1 Irish based & 1 US based). Would anyone have any clue as to what the issue would be? I'm awaiting a callback from Smart tech support.

One of two things most likely:
    1) reverse DNS. Some FTP servers refuse connections from machines without a reverse DNS. You shouldn't see it on all FTP servers though.

2) Active FTP. FTP is a borked protocol, especially when you include NAT. If you don't have a NAT box that knows about FTP, then you can't usually use active FTP properly. Try using passive FTP to copy the file. There's an option in IE for it, if you're using a command line, type PASV and then try to upload.

After that, I'm not sure what would be blocking your uploads.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I'm with Smart too. Before the modem arrived, I thought they were a crummy, forgetful, deceitful crowd... but then after two months of nagging them, broadband arrived. And it's just sweet. They're not such bad guys, just had a cart/horse order problem with advertising their product.

Can't beat 35e a month all in; great quality of service too. Very satisfying to get a Final Bill from eircon! Major caveat - I had to change my phone number to avail of Smart, but no worries, since I'd only gotten the line back recently for BB.

Up and down speeds as per steve-o. just perfect for the price. Customer support/tech have been great to deal with (only one query and they got right back with a fix).

pings
    boards 36ms
    bbc.co.uk 35ms
    jolt.co.uk 34ms

Garfield, if that could be improved with this interleaving magic that would be great. cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

Edanto: How was the switchover from eircom to Smart? What was your downtime for phone and BB services. I want to change, but being without BB for a couple of weeks would be like missing a limb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

lardboy wrote:
    Edanto: How was the switchover from eircom to Smart? What was your downtime for phone and BB services.

Switchover was smooth and seamless. We were with eircon, waiting for the changeover to happen, then bang our phone number had changed. A day or two later, the new modem arrived and easy to setup. So, no downtime for phone.
    First time I've had BB is with Smart, so can't answer that question about downtime for BB.

But so far, so good. no downtime since we've started & great speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

Thanks for the info. Hopefully the BB switch will be equally smooth. We shall see...

Advertisement