Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Smart queries and a tip.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Have to say, that while I'm still waiting for my Smart order to be processed (they're waiting for Eircom to authorise something), they and particularly Garfield have been great. Definitely worth persevering with Customer Service, they do seem to try the best that they can to resolve things, certainly have for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭half_life_man

the corpo wrote:
    Have to say, that while I'm still waiting for my Smart order to be processed (they're waiting for Eircom to authorise something), they and particularly Garfield have been great. Definitely worth persevering with Customer Service, they do seem to try the best that they can to resolve things, certainly have for me.
    hey corpo. i think i'm having the same problem but i have my modem set up and everything. did u get ur modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

I'm meant to be getting my modem next week, yippee! I've gone through three months of crap having to change from smart, to eircon and back to smart. Four weeks to change from smart, and and another two weeks to get an eircon account number. Then I have to wait for LLU to go through. And eircon have the nerve to tell us they were voted the best customer care of 2004?!

odie wrote:

"Smart Broadband is not designed around the concept of contention. Smart Telecom owns and operates its own high-capacity fibre-optic network. As any link in the Smart network approaches capacity, it will be automatically be upgraded. Smart Broadband users will continue to enjoy the unrestricted high-speed Internet access"

Anyone any thoughts?

Lie lies lies.

EVERY Isp on this green earth has contended access.

To be truely uncontended the ISP must have enough bandwidth to suppy all customers access to the net at the same time without any feeling a performance hit. This simply does not happen.

Equipment and infrastructure for the the fat pipes connecting ISPs to the internet are stupidly expensive.
    If ISPs were to have totally uncontented broadband connections you would be paying leased line prices for your DSL (Think 15 grand a year for 512k/512k!!). Thats because with a leased line you are getting garanteed speeds, ie no contention.

Smart say they have no contention, this is true at the exchanges as they use different technology for sharing available bandwidth. However
    they will still have contention at the final hop to the net.

</rant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

I htink the point is that the end user never feels that contention by smart simply always having more capacity than is being used. Same way every ISP in the world works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭magic roundabou

i am also waiting for smart to give me bb, my one worry was that i did not know anyone who has it but as i now know that some of yee do im ok , my one question is if there will be a problem getting my emails - im with iol at the moment so will i be able to send / receive them with smart ???
    thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

i am also waiting for smart to give me bb, my one worry was that i did not know anyone who has it but as i now know that some of yee do im ok , my one question is if there will be a problem getting my emails - im with iol at the moment so will i be able to send / receive them with smart ???
    thanks

Should be no problem just keep your old iol settings in whatever email prog you use and it should work.

Smart should by now though have got their act together and have a FAQ for the technical stuff on their web pages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No. He will not be able to send without changing his outbound server to th eSmart one . He will continue to receive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Sponge Bob wrote:
    No. He will not be able to send without changing his outbound server to th eSmart one .
    Have Smart now put the "normal" ISP services in place (SMTP/POP/WebPages/News etc.)?
    Is there a Support area on their website yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Tried to PM you, but it's failing. .

I just tried to PM you with a question Garfield....

You must be too popular, you are over your storage quota so you won't be able to send or receive any PM's till you delete some of your old messages (sent and received).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Also trying to PM you Garfield to get the transfer form - let us know when you've cleared out some space.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    No. He will not be able to send without changing his outbound server to th eSmart one . He will continue to receive though.

Apologies for the wrong advice then - as Smart had said they would not be providing an email service I (wrongly!) assumed that they would 'fix' something up to allow email to be sent. Silly me!
    :rolleyes:
    Have Smart now put the "normal" ISP services in place (SMTP/POP/WebPages/News etc.)?
    Is there a Support area on their website yet?

Garfield has stated previously that they will not be providing an email service and if I recally I think he recommended Gmail. Smart dont state in the literature that they send out that they will not be providing this service and I think they should.

There is no technical support yet on the web pages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

fine so, let him run his own smtp server on his own machine :) !

dub45 wrote:
    Garfield has stated previously that they will not be providing an email service and if I recally I think he recommended Gmail.
    Garfield, surely this is not true?
    I don't think that there is a reputable ISP in the world that fails to provide SMTP (outgoing e-mail) for its Customers.
    It is kinda fundamental!

Also, what is it with the lack of technical support information? Is the service live or still in some half-assed trial mode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I got a PM a while back from Garfield stating the email probs HAD been sorted... Mind you there have been some lies since then as well....

iano wrote:
    Garfield, surely this is not true?
    I don't think that there is a reputable ISP in the world that fails to provide SMTP (outgoing e-mail) for its Customers.
    It is kinda fundamental!

Also, what is it with the lack of technical support information? Is the service live or still in some half-assed trial mode?

Half assed? Unfortunately Smart are not helping themselves at all in so many ways :rolleyes:

For instance they send out conflicting information with the inviatation to sign up. one leaflet states you dont have to change numbers another page states you do. This is such a fundamental issue that it requires absolute clarity and you would think that having given wrong advice to people about signing up to Smart to speed up things that they would do everything in their power to avoid any further confusion.

They make no mention of the fact that they will not be offering email (or presumably a news service) and their website is still saying 4 times faster than other bb providers!!

beller b wrote:
    I got a PM a while back from Garfield stating the email probs HAD been sorted... Mind you there have been some lies since then as well....

Maybe some Smart customers could clarify what the email situation is then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Considering thier web site still says this for Santry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????
    Congratulations, Broadband is available to you! It will be available in May.*
    Would you like to avail of this amazing offer?

Come friday its July it doesn,t say much when an ISP can't even update thier own site!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Just switched over to the triple-play SmartVision pack. Phone, BB and TV - 100 yoyos a month incl 25e worth of calls each month.

It rocks...

4.44 Mbps downstream (yep 4.44 rocksolid fuppin Mbps)
    3.55 Mbps up stream
    Ping to boards 14ms, jolt.co.uk 23-13ms, google.ie 42ms

Tech Guy told me that there is about 1Gb of bandwidth at the mo, happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Bloody hell.....you have the fastest Broadband in Ireland(with the exception of Dungarvan).

That upload is incredible for a home service!!!

Lucky boy!!!

• Advertisement

Don't I know it... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Could you do a http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed on it???

i know this is probably off topic but has any1 got a modem and connected it up and has been waiting over 2 wks for smart to connect them to their server.i'm having dis problem right now and it wud help if some 1 cud give me info on dis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Adey2002 wrote:
    I just tried to PM you with a question Garfield....

You must be too popular, you are over your storage quota so you won't be able to send or receive any PM's till you delete some of your old messages (sent and received).
    Space made.

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

dub45 wrote:
    Maybe some Smart customers could clarify what the email situation is then?
    smtp.mysmart.ie is the outbound mail server. No need to change inbound POP3 server settings.

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Splendid

I did send you a pm, but seeing as your here.
    Any update on Whitehall?

smtp.mysmart.ie is the outbound mail server.
    Garfield, would you please provide a link to the Smart Technical Support information? This might answer a lot of similar queries.

If there is not currently a support site, can you comment on the provision of "ancillary" services such as:
    POP/Webmail: How many accounts, what limitations or quotas, any spam or virus filtering?
    Personal Webspace: What URL format, how much diskspace/bandwidth etc.
    NNTP: Newsgroups carried
    Any Others?

P.S. Something similar for Voice would be good. (Complete tariff, restrictions, services: voicemail, call waiting, PRS barring etc.)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39 torrid

Hi 1/2 Life...i'm in the same position (Coolock Exchange). Received ADSL box on 18th (not the wireless one i'd requested for fear any of the steps in this smart saga would be straightforward - took a week & numerous phonecalls to arrange courier to drop out correct one) - but was informed in first week of June that I'd have received router & be live within a fortnight. When phoned last week about modem was told i'd be live by Friday 24th "at the very latest". Another call to them on that Friday & this had changed to "definitely before 29th". As of now that leaves them just under 7 hours to tell me one truth...

torrid wrote:
    Hi 1/2 Life...i'm in the same position (Coolock Exchange). Received ADSL box on 18th (not the wireless one i'd requested for fear any of the steps in this smart saga would be straightforward - took a week & numerous phonecalls to arrange courier to drop out correct one) - but was informed in first week of June that I'd have received router & be live within a fortnight. When phoned last week about modem was told i'd be live by Friday 24th "at the very latest". Another call to them on that Friday & this had changed to "definitely before 29th". As of now that leaves them just under 7 hours to tell me one truth...
    Smart sure take their sweet ass time. Let me know how it goes. I'm also in the coolock exchange and Smart said eircom had something 2 do with the lines.

• Advertisement

juliuspret wrote:
    Could you do a http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed on it???

Those speeds are from that test.

Advertisement