Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beginner road bike

Options
  • 13-06-2005 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

sorry but just wondering do ye know any cheap sites were you can get a fast bike for going in and out of town its a 5 mile cycle and going around the area.i would like a bike that can go over steps without stoping but it has to be fast enough.i had amts bike and god was it slow.so i would be very greatful if ye could help me out here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Enduro

Strong, light (fast), cheap.... pick any 2. You won't get all 3 together (Road bikes are fast, but I don't think you'd want to be riding them over steps regularly. A good mountain bike will go over steps all day, but it won't be as fast as a road bike).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

A hybrid maybe? Hate them myself but they're the best of both worlds. I'd guess that most of you mtb being slow was because of having big tyres. If you get a semi-slick set of tryes it will be much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

i would pick the light and fast please and were would you get these and what is a good cheap make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

do any of ye know a good second hand internet shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

do any of ye know a good second hand internet shop.

ebay.co.uk would be my only guess - wouldn't be happy 2nd hand without seeing bike though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Uberwolf is corect. Buying second had bike on internet is risky because a skilled person can hide a serious defect.

Buyer Beware applies. Internet is not a good option. You are best off buying from a local shop.

If you do Buy & Sell or similar, bring (drag or handcuff) some-one to look over the bike.

Things to look for

Smooth Gear Changes
    Take you hands off the bars to test for front damage.
    Fun finger along underside of top bar to check for tiny kinks or bumps. This may indicate damage from a crash.
    Check brake cables.

If second hand, there is very little come back from a private sale.

Know what bikes are worth new. When looking at a cheap piece of crap, you may pay a lot just to bring the bike up to road worthiness.

Have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

wondering do ye know any cheap sites were you can get a fast bike for going in and out of town its a 5 mile cycle and going around the area.
    claregalway Qs, I am in Galway city and selling a Barracuda flat bar road bike, 18 gears, paid €400 last year, selling for €200 negotiable. It is in great condition, fitted out for commuting with 28C Armadillo tyres, rack, mudguards, etc. I used it for a 5 mile daily commute and weekend spins, I think it would suit what you're looking for. Selling due to buying a new bike and need the space in my hallway. PM me or reply here. cheers, Fergus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

From the ForSAle board:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=271590
    Looks decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭gerkiely

FergusF wrote:
    claregalway Qs, I am in Galway city and selling a Barracuda flat bar road bike, 18 gears, paid €400 last year, selling for €200 negotiable. It is in great condition, fitted out for commuting with 28C Armadillo tyres, rack, mudguards, etc. I used it for a 5 mile daily commute and weekend spins, I think it would suit what you're looking for. Selling due to buying a new bike and need the space in my hallway. PM me or reply here. cheers, Fergus

Do you have a picture of this bike. Is it still for sale?

Yes bike is still for sale, sorry I don't have a pic of the actual bike but it is pictured here: http://www.hollymillcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s22p1050 . Mine is the same colour with mudguards and rack. I am flexible on the price, if interested PM me & I can send you my work phone #.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NOGLimerick

Is the bike still for sale ?
    Might be interested .

Is the bike still for sale ?
    Might be interested .

Yep, still for sale NOGLimerick. I will PM you my phone #s if you want to get in touch.

Advertisement