Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Plains Drifter

• 13-06-2005 4:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

I've only ever watched a western film three times, and I've seen High Plains Drifter twice. When I was a kid I just thought it was cool, watching it again now, WOW. It unfolds into a brilliant revenge story. Its so dark and chilling, just amazing. As just a western, its good, but when you understand everything thats going on, its pure movie brilliance. I don't want to spoil it, but it never says something out loud, it never says that one word. You have to put it all together yourself. And although theres super natural elements there, you take them very seriously because the film never says it out right, and it sells itself dead seriously as just a normal western. Fantastic film.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Kazaanova wrote:
    I've only ever watched a western film three times, and I've seen High Plains Drifter twice. When I was a kid I just thought it was cool, watching it again now, WOW. It unfolds into a brilliant revenge story. Its so dark and chilling, just amazing. As just a western, its good, but when you understand everything thats going on, its pure movie brilliance. I don't want to spoil it, but it never says something out loud, it never says that one word. You have to put it all together yourself. And although theres super natural elements there, you take them very seriously because the film never says it out right, and it sells itself dead seriously as just a normal western. Fantastic film.

Is this the one where:
    He paints the town red, and in the end, hangs one of the bad guys by a whip outside the saloon?

If so, fantastic film :) Been years since I saw it though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

i'm not a fan of westerns, but my ma's love of John Wayne has forced me to see a few, some were REALLY good, like 'The Searchers', 'True Grit' etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

Kazaanova wrote:

Great film. Agree with you entirely. Clint Eastwood is great as the stranger. One of the best westerns I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

Gota agree, drifter is a great movie just watched it again last night on tv but I think Clints best westerns in my opinion are.

1. Unforgiven (best western ever)
    2. Outlaw Jose Wales
    3. Good the Bad and the Ugly
    4. Fistful of Dollars
    5. High Plains Drifter

Honourable mention: The Beguiled (not exactly a western)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

If you liked high plains drifter check out some sergio leone westerns. Especially the dollars trilogy (fistful of dollars, for a few dollars more, the good,tb,tu). Not only some of the greatest westerns ever made but imo some of the greatest movies ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Is this the one where:
    He paints the town red, and in the end, hangs one of the bad guys by a whip outside the saloon?

If so, fantastic film :) Been years since I saw it though...

Yes thats the one. I've been meaning the watch the entire Dollar trilogy, I know I would like it. I just really liked this film because of the twist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Once upon a time in the west has similar supernatural undertones, it's one of my favourite movies ever, the sound design and music in it are spectacular and the dialogue is minimal to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Fans of High plains drifter should check out Pale Rider.
    Similar feel, but not as good.
    As metioned by a previous poster, The Beguiled is great too, an ignored at the time dark movie where Eastwood was streching his legs a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

great film, josey wales was prolly my fav
    or for a fistfull of dollars maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Yeah its a good one,got it tonight actually to look at.Great fella Eastwood,only in town a few minutes and blows away three blokes and then blows up the local bike. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement