Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

where the hell am I

Options
  • 13-06-2005 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Drove DOWN to Dublin from NW last week for appointment at St.James.
    Left very early-5.10 because I 'd not ddone that journey before.Arrived Dublin
    outskirts about 8.10.Big bottleneck something about a tunnel.
    Knew only I needed to get on N7.Started significant movement 8.50.
    But where was I?
    Obviously Dublin comprises several districts but the stranger driving through would be hard pressed to know even whether he was N,S,E,W.
    Signposts are scarce and even the street nameplates have no district numbers on them.
    Local councils appear to have made the city a mystery tour for the visitor many of whom are forced into the capital by the inadequacies of the health service.
    All other towns I entered had good road signage so Dublin please follow where you should be leading.
    Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Firstly what were you doing around the port tunnel (Drumcondra end I presume) if you werecoming from the NW to St James??? You obviously had not bother to plan you journey.

Secondly I've never seen a street name with the appropriate postcode on it. Can you give an example of the street name?

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/416221/2/Irish_Street_Sign.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

you could always buy one of those things with roads printed on them.
    Macs or something...

Only kidding, I know what you mean. Half the roads don't even having signs on them to let you know which road you're bloody on.
    The best I ever saw was a fork in the road which had those blue "airport" signs (you know, the one with a picture of an aeroplane)
    Thing was there were two signs, one pointed to the fork on the left, the other pointed to the fork on the right!! I'm surprised some yanks didn't end up driving straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

why didnt you use your brain and get a map?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

If you were heading for the N7 from the NW, and ended up at the port tunnel works, that's your own fault. Didn't see the signs for the M50, N2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I'm surprised at the replies so far. Road signs in Dublin are really really bad.
    Have a look at this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=240035

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

One word for ya... Routeplanner

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

to be fair you should have been looking for the N4. Inbound from the M50, or perhaps you should have sought to join the N4 before then to avoid the toll bridge.

but point taken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

emmemm wrote:
    Drove DOWN to Dublin from NW last week ...

All other towns I entered had good road signage so Dublin please follow where you should be leading.
    And your lessons are:
    1) If you fail to prepare you prepare to fail (e.g. plan your route before starting your journey)
    2) Don't rely on roadsigns to find your way, or you'll lose your way.
    3) You drive UP to the capital, you drive DOWN the country.
    4) There is no 4, this is a cul-de-sac :D

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

Thanks for the replies.Will definitely prepare better next time-now that I know what I know.
    CAUSAL
    You too should consult a map.You will see the NW is above Dublin geographically so I drive down to Dublin.
    Why should everyone from the sticks drive UP to the capital.Has elitist implications.
    MM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

emmemm wrote:
    Why should everyone from the sticks drive UP to the capital.Has elitist implications.
    MM

Exxxactly :D

• Advertisement

emmemm wrote:
    You will see the NW is above Dublin geographically
    I take it news hasn't reached the NW yet that the Earth is not flat :D
    Oh, and some blasphemous radical named Copernicus says Earth isn't the centre of the Universe :eek:

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

emmemm wrote:
    You too should consult a map.You will see the NW is above Dublin geographically so I drive down to Dublin

That depends on how you look at the map

ei-map.jpg

Now .... there .... see? :p

^^^^^ LOL Fantastic, Dublin even gets a Star :D

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Banjo013

emmemm wrote:
    Obviously Dublin comprises several districts but the stranger driving through would be hard pressed to know even whether he was N,S,E,W.

You could say that the approach roads to Dublin start at the top with the N1, heading in the Belfast direction. The further you move southwards around the city the higher the numbers get. The N4 heads towards Galway and the west, the N7 heads towards Limerick and Cork, and at the bottom the N11 heads towards places like Bray and the south east of the country. There isn't an east approach road, you'd have to be arriving by boat !

You're right though - don't mind the guys here fobbing you off. Signage in Dublin is a nonsence .... sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not, sometimes it's half there. And that's before the nice little fellas who live there have twisted around all what signposts do exist, so you could easily end up in Blackrock when you're looking for Santry.

There is one piece of good advice though which you've already got - don't come anywhere near Dublin without a map and a plan. Otherwise you'll feel like the whole place is one big bowl of soggy spaghetti.

Causal
    Thankyou for re-iterating my point that the earth is not flat.
    I believe Dublin is a port city and therefore at sea level.I live half way up a mountain.Consequently,you'll concede I drove down to Dublin.

Banjo
    That's how I felt alright,even with a map!
    I found it difficult to read the thing in the heavy traffic and where do you pull-in?

Bluetonic
    Checkout the streetname signs next time you visit London.All carry the district number on them e.g. Stevenage Road S.W.6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

All street signs in Dublin (when you find them) also carry the post code, you probably just never noticed but the number on the right hand side of the sign is the post code that street is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

causal wrote:
    Oh, and some blasphemous radical named Copernicus says Earth isn't the centre of the Universe :eek:

causal

I always Dublin was the centre of the universe which would help to explain why so many culchies end up here. :rolleyes:

Now, anyone got a safe house to hide in??? ;)

emmemm wrote:
    I live half way up a mountain.
    That explains everything :D
    *cue duelling banjos*

causal

I see you're green with envy causal.

MM

LOL :D - Be still my beating heart ...

ugly17.jpg