Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Fail

Options
  • 13-06-2005 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi guys. Just got my car NCT'd last Saturday. It failed :(
    The gentleman in the NCT centre told me it was because of an imbalance in the rear axle. He said i might need a new shock absorber. Does anyone know how much this might cost me. I have a 1996 Renault megane coupe. Also he told me he could not find the VIN on the car. thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

The NCT measures the balance so even if you put a new shock in there it might still appear imbalanced to the machine. If this turns out to be the case it might require 2 new ones (or 2 fecked ones if you can find any!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It is likely to be a knackered shock absorber. You'll probably have to replace the shocks on both sides as if you replace only the bad one you may still have an imbalance. Changing rear shocks on a Megane is not a big job, any mechanic would do it for you easily and cheaply. You could order the shocks from eurocarparts or gsfcarparts. Eurocarparts have them for 24 quid sterling each not including vat or delivery. Alternatively you could go to somewhere like Advance Pitstop and let them supply and fit the shocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭crang

How much would Advance pitstop charge for 2 new shocks plus fitting. Would anyone know. rang them up but they gave very vague answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

DukeDredd wrote:
    The NCT measures the balance so even if you put a new shock in there it might still appear imbalanced to the machine. If this turns out to be the case it might require 2 new ones (or 2 fecked ones if you can find any!).

He's hardly going to pass the re-test if he puts in fecked ones now is he?

My car failed for the same reason, and while it's a small car (starlet), spurious shocks cost only €80 a pair from tallaght auto parts. shocks for the megane are certainly not expensive, and i'd second the recommendation to check out GSF.

if you need a good mechanic might i recommend C&S Motors in Old Bawn? Very quick service. 085 717 6409

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

:) I recently had my rear shocks replaced, and as any good mechanic will tell ya you have to replace both shocks at the same time.... The shocks cost me 45.00 euro each and another 40.00 each to be fitted.

Call stimpson motors in Artane.

01-8315136

• Advertisement

At a guess I'd say advance pitstop will charge around 150-200 euros for both shocks incl fitting. Labour costs for this job are minimal as it should take 1/2 hour or less. In fact you could probably do it yourself as each shock absorber is held in place with just two bolts and it's a straightforward procedure
    (Haynes manual rates this job as 2/5 for difficulty)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

just a tip:
    if you do decide to do it yourself, do one side at a time. i once watched somebody put a jack on either side of their car, drop both the shocks and curse in frustration as the wheel and axle hit the ground, tearing the hoses for the brakes and cracking the hose fittings on one side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭crang

Just left it in to advance ( forgot to say that the NCT said that the "brake force regulator was sticking in the middle rear). thay told me that this part would cost €210 plus the cost of the shocks. I know the guy in there and he is reliable. This seems like an awful lot of money though. What i thought would be a small job has turned out to be costing me a fortune. :(

( forgot to say that the NCT said that the "brake force regulator was sticking in the middle rear). thay told me that this part would cost €210
    Does the 210 include fitting? It's a bit late if you're already getting the work done but a new brake compensating valve is around 70 UKP not incl vat or delivery from eurocarparts. Even with vat, delivery and euro conversion it would still work out relativley cheap. And it would probably be about the same price from gsfcarparts in clondalkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

stuff exhaust hanger rubbers into your shock mountings (65 cent each) Pass test , remove , smile. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement