Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Club Championship

• 13-06-2005 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭

[HTML]http://www.football365.com/news/story_154739.shtml[/HTML]

I see Liverpool will have to go play in the World club championships this coming season. Along with having to start Cl league qualifying so early this will add to their fixtures for the year!
    After the Berating United got for pulling out of the FA cup when they had to play in this competition in 2000 especially from Liverpool fans I assume you will have no problem with playing all these extra fixtures.
    Just be very interested to hear opinions on this.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What I am worried about is all Liverpools international players,they will be back in training around early July and as you say of the the World Club Championship in Japan of all places.The its back to the grind of the premiership etc.Now if there country qualify for next years world cup then they will be playing for a year non stop...now thats burn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Is there anything stopping Liverpool pulling out of the WCC just like they are considering to with the EuroSuperCup?

Im guessing after how badly ManU did in the last WCC (and the stick they got for pulling out of the FAcup that year) they probably wish they had done the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

They can pull out but FIFA can impose sanctions on them if they do, for United tha last time the big threat was that it would affect Englands bid for the 2006 World Cup, not that going helped anyway. But if as Blatter says they have to play, they will suffer if they don't.

And as for the International players and the World Cup as Steve Finnan is the only Irish player there then I don't think its a big issue for Ireland and if other countries suffer (England for example) then its all good!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Keano_sli wrote:
    And as for the International players and the World Cup as Steve Finnan is the only Irish player there then I don't think its a big issue for Ireland and if other countries suffer (England for example) then its all good!

I was more thinking about Liverpool suffering in the long run.

Dub13 wrote:
    I was more thinking about Liverpool suffering in the long run.

Ah yeah, I suppose theres a plus side to everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh,
    Liverpool have a horrible horrible scheduale next year,
    They will have to play in

CL Qual Round 1 + 2 + 3
    CL Groups(assumption but fair)
    FA Cup
    League Cup
    Super Cup
    World Club Championships
    Premiership

It'll add up to about
    8(2+2+2+1+2-1) more matches than Chelsea/Arsenal will have to play before Christmas, and 7(2+2+1+2) more than Man United.
    Doesn't bode well considering Liverpools utter lack of a squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

They should just send over their reserves and subs plus 2 or 3 first teamers. Matches don't make players tired. Its the amount of travelling and 6 days a week of running. If most of the first team stayed at home and had a Christmas holiday of their own it would more than make up for the early start to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

They have a similar rule to the FA Cup stating that if you field a weakened team then you can be fined and bring the game into disrepute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

In fairness, its not the same World Club Championships that United played in back in 2000. This is just the one-off game between the champions of europe and the champions of south america.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

The only plus for the english players regards the world cup in germany is they have an extra week to prepare thanks to sven erikson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

mr_angry wrote:
    In fairness, its not the same World Club Championships that United played in back in 2000. This is just the one-off game between the champions of europe and the champions of south america.

incorrect its exactly the same tournament and Liverpool are entering at the semi-final stages . Im not even sure the S.America Copa Libertadores winner V European Champions League winner game even happens anymore .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

yeah it does, thats the World Club Cup. I dont think its on this year because of the World Club Championship though.

[HTML]http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/index/0,2442,CWC2005,00.html?comp=CWC&year=2005[/HTML]

All you ever wanted to know about the World Club Cup championships/whatever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

What do Liverpool owe to fifa?

Below is an article from the Liverpool Echo which states that there is no obligation to participate. Septic bladder is just a big bully, throwing his weight around, threatening sanctions on Liverpool.

It was bad enough having to play three qualifying rounds, but a trek to Japan to play a couple of games that nobody can even tell what the name of it is, would be overkill.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=15624440%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=reds%2d%2dno%2d%2dto%2dworld%2dclub%2dcup%2devent-name_page.html

Damo

It would be very unsporting of Liverpool not to turn up for this would it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Keano_sli wrote:
    It would be very unsporting of Liverpool not to turn up for this would it not?
    Well the WCC has been passed over on numerous occassions by the Champions of Europe.

Given Liverpools extended season and that it is a WC year, there should be absolutely no problem if Liverpool were to send a shadow squad to the tournament.

Well the WCC has been passed over on numerous occassions by the Champions of Europe.
    QUOTE]
    As far as I can see this is only the second time its been held and I think you'll find the Champions of Europe were there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

IM fairly sure hes talking about the World Club Cup, just an unfortunate abbreviations issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i am not to worried.

Qualifications wont bother me. Play a strong team for the home tie, pile the goals on, then a 2 team for the travelling to the away leg. Our 2nd team will be be quite strong. ALso got chance for the new boys to gel and what not.

Its 4 extra match compared to united and everton, basically friendlies.

Carling cup is fine, we will play are juniors again, i think this time even if we get to the semi's we will stick with the juniors. We can play djimi in the FA cup and that will sort us out will an early exit.

WCC is a bit of bother, wait till its closer to the time to decide. BEing in japan it could be a good marketing chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

BEing in japan it could be a good marketing chance.

Thats a good point actually. Could they just cancel their current tour that clashes with the CL Qualifiers with a view that they'll be there for WCC anyway? Could hardly get too slated for skipping this one as noone foresaw that they'd have to qualify from 1st round..

• Advertisement
Advertisement