Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well, what do we think of it?

Options
  • 13-06-2005 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

It seems an obvious question but what do people think of the BF2 demo

Personally I've played it for about 2 hours only and mean to give it a good lash tonight but I'm pretty impressed so far, not blow away but impressed all the same.

Strikes me as a cross between Half Life 2 and Desert combat

BTW on a previous post someone said they couldn't practice their flying on single player, you can, just setup a server for 32 players locally and fly away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

well only got back home last nite and started downloading.....4 hrs later went to bed.....havent played yet but cant wait.......

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭CSSource God

Seems like it will be very good to me. Played last night, little bit buggy but final version should be fine. I find that being on foot you dont have much influence but in a tank or helicopter its deadly. Ive noticed if you stay in a tank and dont move around much you will not be targeted(as much), people think its empty and you can swing the turret around and blast them. Had a few memorable moments, shot down a blackhawk with the tanks main gun killing five guys on board LOL.. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Didnt like it at first after a few hours playing but since this was one game i said i would buy this year i stuck with it for many more hours and gotta admit i was wrong,it is superb.
    Visuals,sounds and physics are out of this world but most of all i really like the gameplay except for the artillery,it ruined coduo and it seems to be a pain in bf2 also.
    Also the map on top right of screen is far too big imo and the multiplayer menu system is a joke.
    Apart from those small cons it really is brilliant and runs far better with all bells and whistles on than i ever expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I really like it. Even on my crappy laptop. Its the gameplay for me with everything on low. Had a few memorable moments too. Sneeked up on a enemy tank place 2 explosives on it. Waited until he was out of harms way then BOOM. I liked that. Needs more playing. Damn this thing called work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Played it for a few hours yesterday , and as some of ye might know , this ain't really my kinda game . Having said that this one plays pretty well , looks fantastic and in a group will really provide you with hours of time wasting :)

Memorable moment : On ts yester with a few of the clan m8s that have it already , was up on the roof near the pool with a medic and nocking back the attack with gusto :) . Next a bomb explodes on the ground near the building ( now we are on the top of the highest building ) and a body flies into the air above us full ragdoll effects in tow and falls back to earth "don't think I can revive that " says the medic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭CSSource God

I was watching my noob friend playing also, when he was running across some high grass a sniper in a camo suit popped up out of the grass and knifed him. He nearly fell off the chair with the fright. How embaressing for him :) He also managed to crush half his squad with an Abrams tank :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just played a quick game there on the college PC (my own has a GF4 on it frown.gif), and I gotta say, its damn sweet! The way you can duck whilst in the machine gunner position on a tank is also good, as it used to be never used 'cos you were a sitting duck most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

General feeling seems to be most people are loving it. I gotta say im pretty happy with it myself, gonna take a while to get used to the battlefield commander thing, and flying helis/planes etc but itll be worth it. The cameras on the black hawk/mig 29 etc are kinda hard to get used to tho.
    Memorable moment yesterday was sneaking up on someone in the SAM launcher thing and knifing him..then having him spawn a second later and jump back into the SAM launcher only for me to knife him again lol :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv noticed the SAM launchers seem to give the user too much protection from fire. I was letting rip with a 20mm cannon or somthing and the guy was unhurt...

Having to aim off for the bullet to drop on the sniper rifle is silly. Snipers adjust their sights according to range.

Sprinting is a handy feature that iv been making plenty of use of. Vietanm hooked me alot quicker I have to say but its only a demo to be fair.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Having to aim off for the bullet to drop on the sniper rifle is silly. Snipers adjust their sights according to range.
    So would you prefer having to adjust your sight for each target before shooting? lol its a game man.

• Advertisement

No, they should have just left the crosshairs zeored for every range (no bullet drop). Aiming off for bullet drop is a pain in the arse, and after all its just a game...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Well i got it on the friday but only played it for about 2 hours, gave it a good blast yesterday and i can say i am well impressed. i didnt even turn the graphics up full yet :P but the visuals, and sounds are Fab,

I've been playin with my mates on there clans us server and even pinging 140 to the server i find it very playable.

The squad feature is cool, we had a full set of 6 of us in the squad and another as commander all on ts worked out to be a good feature, makes it a lot easier to work as a team especially with the spawn at squad function.

The choopers seem nice to fly. couldnt do too much on a full server so had to start my own to get to grips with em, the map was a bit small for the airplanes so didnt bother with em, Love the tanks :D I keep shootin down the choppers in em makes for great target pratice trying to hit 1. got the hang of it after a while tho.

i seem to prefer my special opps, ya got to love C4 :D didnt like the sniper because of the bullet drop found i couldnt hit anything at too far a range cause i couldn't see where the bullets were hitting, or I could just have a bad shot :p

The command position itself i didnt like too much as i found there was too much work involved in it, I coudlnt run around killing peple and command at the same time.

I cant wait for the Full release

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Rew wrote:
    Having to aim off for the bullet to drop on the sniper rifle is silly.
    Ah, that would explain why I can't hit jack with the sniper rifle any more!

Anyway, what's the story with the laser-guided missiles in the choppers & planes? The one you change to a black & white TV-style view to fire it. Do you still have control of the missile after it's fired, or does it guide itself to the point you click on? I though there was meant to be some sort of infantry-based laser pointer too - maybe this is one of the weapons that gets unlocked later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Meh, one of my favourite things about the snipers in the BF series was that you had to compensate for your distance. Made the whole thing harder to master.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I think it' the best of the series so far. Definitly a lot better than vietnam. They sorted the troop combat at last. EA are still a little too forgiving on the damage though. The anti tank launcher is useless, takes about 4 shots to take out a tank. I was hoping the javelin missile system was gonna be in for the anti-tank troops but apparently not despite the fact that's what U.S. anti tank troops use. The missiles on the cobra are pretty dire as well tbh. I was chasing another chopper and hit him 6 times with missiles while the gunner was shooting him and he still didn't die :mad: If the apache is in it then wait and see it will take about 3-4 hellfires to take out a tank when in real life a single hellfire will destroy any tank. The sniper rifle is useless beyond belief. Hopefully they sort this out in a patch. I do love the lock on missiles and chaffs though. Overall though it's a hell of a lot of fun to play and a definite buy. Btw no offence to the tig lads but your server is dire. 0 reg with regular lag spikes despite my 32 ping.
    Seems like it will be very good to me. Played last night, little bit buggy but final version should be fine. I find that being on foot you dont have much influence but in a tank or helicopter its deadly.

Are you joking? The troops have more influence than anything else. I was topping servers mainly on foot, taking nd holding bases. Calling for medics when your low and staying out of sight of tanks and jeeps. I was using tanks when they spawned to go take another base but the troop work is the most important.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I cant get on the TiG server. says im having network problems and to check my connection..every other server is grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I like the sniper rifles, I can't shoot 'em for the like of me, but better than having AWP like aiming. Dear god that would be horrible.

The bullet drop has been present in all the BF games so it should not be much of a shock. I like it, it takes some getting used to but when you do you can be a menace on the battleground.

I like the sniper rifles, I can't shoot 'em for the like of me, but better than having AWP like aiming. Dear god that would be horrible.

The bullet drop has been present in all the BF games so it should not be much of a shock. I like it, it takes some getting used to but when you do you can be a menace on the battleground.

Definatly wasn't was obvious as it is in the demo. The big .5 Barret should be shooting 700+ meters without having an obvious drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

TiG server is down atm. Should be back up tonight.
    Bloodbath, I've never had any probs with the TiG server. Anyway if you are having problems then look forward to our new uber server which we are currently purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Absolulty awesome, and coming from someone who never played the previous games. Was at a LAN and the 6 of us who could run it played it and I have to say it was amazing. Loving the commander options and that whole area of the game. The shadow bug was more hilarious than bothersome, I for one have a new game to buy in the next few weeks

• Advertisement

Rew, I do agree that it is more noticable now. Probably a little overboard. Especially considering everything elses flight is much straighter/faster in general now, like rockets, tank turret shots etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

Review on Firing Squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sniper rifles kinda suck , sometimes a head shot kills sometimes needs 5 :confused:

Easy enough to use just if you get someone in the face they should die.

My only gripe about it other than me loves it.

Tanks and sniper rifle = hours of fun :)

kdjac

I was playing around with them earlier. The big .5 has markings for 600 and 800 meters (center is about 400 id say). The other yoke is much harder to judge bu the nothces will be something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

cool game, i think i'll definitely have more luck getting into this than i did 1942 or vietnam, the movement feels nice, the weapons feel solid and pack a punch, the interface (to me at least) seems a lot more intuative, can't wait to give it a lash on lan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭1

Well......

The Battle field range are all that amused me in the gaming sense since CS and I have enjoyed many an hour or two on a server here and there but never really played any of the single player modes. Its always been a good game with good mods.

Now note I am on a 3.4gig 64 bit thing with 2mb of ddr2 ram with an X850XT PE running this new fangled BF2.... and I love it.

I noticed a few "fanboys" thinking they have been slightly disappointed.. well thats only because they talk it up in their heads tbh. Or amongst themselves. And its only the demo.

I have not gone on line yet. I am having way to much fun just playing single player. Fair fuks to the people who found the bot limit and time limit removal yoke. You doubled my pleasure.

I like the AI. You even have the feeling they are doing their best to get the next base...even the enemy will retreat to save a flag. I know. I shoot them in the back often. Special forces all the way... I like the fact being a sniper is more difficult. Perhaps that will put people off being snipers..constantly. Though I think when I played the non us side there was no need to "re sight"? Is that because the us gun is bolt action? eg a reload of a bullet means you have to lose the sight? The other shiper weapon is auto? I can't recall tbh.

I like the new medic too. Well armed and very useful. i took me a while to figure out why I was spawning lying down every so often before I relaised I was being brought back to life. I would like to see a point system in place for that. Just as important as a "kill".

Being stunned by an explosion is rather cool to. I like the added "deafness"

It was hard to kill at the start too but some finer aiming adjustments seems to have sorted that out and the kills are still hard but i am sure the enemy have flak protection.. and a single head shot will kill.

I think if people are in to FPS shooters then this will be the daddy for a while. It seems to be an all round nice package. And that not including the commander option. Another nice thing. Plus the inbuilt stats look interesting with being promoted up the ranks ala Americas Army style.

This being only the demo and me not having gone online yet... I think I will certainly be buying the full game upon release. Not some thing I do often.....

I could go on.... but my bot comrades need me. We keep getting our ass kicked in hard mode :/ Unless I sit in the tank... but that just delays our defeat.

I think I should use my artillary strikes better....

You get points for reviving and healing. It says it in grey on the left of your screen.

I have played on servers with full squads and they work well, even pickups, even when I was on a french squad!! I love how many things now depend on teamwork.
    The game is brilliant. Absolutly loving it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1 wrote:

I like the AI. You even have the feeling they are doing their best to get the next base...even the enemy will retreat to save a flag. I know. I shoot them in the back often. Special forces all the way...

LOL they havent changed much, when they took the chopper and flew straight all of 100 yards into a tank on the ground i knew its was the Ai of old.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

KdjaC wrote:
    LOL they havent changed much, when they took the chopper and flew straight all of 100 yards into a tank on the ground i knew its was the Ai of old.

kdjac

choppers in that small single player map? map doesn't stretch far enough to get to airbase...

• Advertisement

You can hack it to have bots in the bigger maps.

Advertisement