Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper II (H)

Options
  • 13-06-2005 12:26pm

Can anyone post up how they think they did, and how the exam went? I was giving grinds to someone and am curious how the paper went!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Alan G

Bad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

It was fairly handy in my opinion... couple of oddities but pretty straightforward.

Question 1... usual circle stuff, a very approachable question. Nice proof in part (b).

Question 2... part (a) seems to have confused a lot of people but vectors are vectors so it's not too bad.

Question 3... a very fair line question, the linear transformation part was especially handy.

Question 5... nice trig. question even for people like me who hate trig., diagram for part (c) was a bit scary looking for fairly straightforward.

Question 6 & 7... lovely questions, the probability was all completely straightforward so was the difference equations. The statistics part (c) was laughably easy once you got your head around it.

Question 8... very easy question altogether. (a) and (c) could be done in less than 5 minutes, the only thing delaying in part (b) was writing out terms but it was only to x^3 so it wasn't so bad.

Anyway, that's how I found it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

I did well beside paper 2, considering that over the weekend i did every paper from 2003 to 1998...

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

tought it was bad.say ill get a b2 overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

A very good paper, trig questions were very short and straight forward, even the coord geom was shorter than usual, vectors grand, I did question 6 with 5 mins left and it was pretty easy (I don't even like probability), option question 8 was a lot easier than the usual stuff.

The only thing I was stupid enough not to do was read the question (always my downfall) it was only 1(c) I only got the centre of the circle instead of the equation... stupid me, it was only pointed out to me after the exam (still won't loose too many marks), I'm pretty sure that's the only thing I got wrong.

Overall v happy with the 2 maths papers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

happy enough better than paper 1 shame perpendicular proof didnt come up
    Tanget to a circle proof came up though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

was a very nice paper i think,did 1,2,4,6,7,8 in the end and there was nothing out of the ordinary really other than the a part in vectors which if you did applied maths or physics you should have seen before,if not its still easy enough to work out. pretty happy now thats done :D

the trig question 4 (c) part was so easy once you had done the previous trig question about the 2 wheels and the chain from some years back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

was quite a tough paper, but im very happy with it. Got a few dodgy answers but method was right in almost all. A lot more fair than P1.Didn't get 5b(ii) or 2c(ii). So happy in all.

8C was super simple

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Lovely paper, much easier than in previous years (complete contrast to paper 1). Took my time, checking as I went and still finished with a good 20 mins to go. Question 4 took a bit of time but was still very manageable. Question 5 was particularly easy, I spent almost as much time re-reading the paper to make sure I hadn't missed something as I spent doing the question.

Don't know about Q6, 7, 9, 10 or 11 becuase I didn't do them but everything else was grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

I found the paper great! It was not too difficult, not too easy and had great choice, a huge relief after paper one.

Q1- Was nice and standard, part C was a bit tricky and I got it wrong but it was my extra questions so no bother.

Q2- I didn’t do but it looked ok, though the reason I didn’t do it is because part A looked weird, drawing a diagram and all.

Q3 Excellent question! A and B were fairly standard and you had to use your head for part C (ii), the proof before it wasn’t bad but it did throw some people in my class cause you had to be familiar with it

Q4 Another really nice question, part C was a bit tough because there were so many figures and it took a while. But it is very similar to one of the past questions about a bike chain

Q5 A great and short question, had to use your head a bit to get out B (ii) but it wasn’t too bad. Part C was very straightforward; they even put in the variable X for you.

Q6 Very nice! Very doable probability, well phrased and a reasonable level of challenge.

Q7 This was the one odd question. I liked it but you really had to know and understand statistics to be able to do part C. It was basically an essay type question! A good idea I think though. It is important to show you know and understand theory and are not just applying learned rules. It is very unusual though and did throw me a bit at the start. But in all ok.

Q 8 I didn’t do but part A and B looked very long

Q9 Perfectly normal further prob. No tricks, very nice.

In all I could scarcely have asked for a better paper, they didn’t mix things up like paper one and it was the right level of difficulty. It was the same layout and difficulty as previous years, the way it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

I thought it went really well. Way better than paper one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

good good good:) Beside paper 1 anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mrs. hamlet

Totally agree!
    Sooo much better than paper 1!
    i did q 1 2 3 4 6 8 !
    q1 was easy except i didn't know the proof but i made something up!
    q2 i couldn't do the a-part :eek: but the rest was fine
    q3 a and b very easy, couldn't do c because i hav never been a fan of linear transformations so i was hopin' they wouldn't come up as a c part but ah well!
    q4 i hate trig but (surprisingly!) found this q grand! b was easy! I got the wrong answer for c but my method was right!
    q6 was fine except i left c halfway thru and never got a chance to go bak and finish it!

q8 was the best! The max/min problem was way easier than other years!

I, by no stretch of da imagination, did brill on the paper, but i made a gud attempt and i'm so happy bcuz i was so worried i was gonna fail after my unbelievably crap paper 1! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

far easier than I was expecting, to be honest. A few questions I know I didnt get fully out, but I wasnt too far off. the usual.

i thought p1 was better

Found it easier than Paper 1, but still did a lot worse than I was hoping for.

Attempted Qs 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

Q1:Usually a very easy question for me, but for some reason it was my worst question of the paper. Never heard of the proof thing. Did a stupid thing in part (c) too. Barely passed the question!

Q3:Got (a) and (b) right, Tried (c) but I'm not sure if it's right or not.

Q4: Very handy. Hopefuly I got everything right.
    Q5: Got everything but (b) (ii). I just couldn't get rid of the sinB. Part (c) was extremely easy.

Q6: Easier of the two probability qurstions, even though both were pretty simple. Saying that, it was the last question I id and I didn't get (b) finished.

Q7: Got everything but (b) (iii), although I realised how to do it on my way home. Part (c) was more like a part (c) you'd see in Ordinary Level.

Q8: I was dreading this question, but it turned out to be the easiet question on the paper. Hopefully I got everything right.

By my estimations I scraped an A2. I say a LOT of people easily got an A1, which is why I walked out of the exam unhappy. I'm was still pleased that there was nothing surprising like Paper 1. :)

By my estimations I scraped an A2. I say a LOT of people easily got an A1,

I wouldn't say so. Personally, although i feel i did well, a good few of the numbers didn't work out for me. Adding error's all over the place. So blunders may play a part. It was i nice one, but fairly long and some hardish calculations. Fair.

How many marks out of 300 is the lowest A?

Q3:Got (a) and (b) right, Tried (c) but I'm not sure if it's right or not.

Yeah I wasn't too sure about this either, however I took two lines y=mx + c and y=mx + k (i.e parallel lines) and put them under the translation and then showed that they were still parallel.
    Q4: Very handy. Hopefuly I got everything right. Did people get the area of the rectangle to be equal to the area of the triangle?
    Yeah area of rectangle = area of triangle.
    Q5: Got everything but (b) (ii). I just couldn't get rid of the sinB.

sin2B = 5/3(sinB)

2sinBcosB = 5/3(sinB)

cosB = 5/6, and I found tan B from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Christ man... you're a maths student! You need 510 marks for a bare A2... so an average of 255 per paper.

• Advertisement

TimAy wrote:
    How many marks out of 300 is the lowest A?

255 would scrape you 85% (A2)

sin2B = 5/3(sinB)

2sinBcosB = 5/3(sinB)

cosB = 5/6, and I found tan B from this.

Yeah. I'm an idiot. :(

hey!...an EX maths student. and i tired one at that.

*Angel* wrote:
    Yeah I wasn't too sure about this either, however I took two lines y=mx + c and y=mx + k (i.e parallel lines) and put them under the translation and then showed that they were still parallel.

yea wierd question. Did the same as you.

i ended up getting x'=x does that work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Thought it was tougher than paper 1 hehe. Made about 3 or 4 slips I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Great paper. so much less of a bastard than Paper One. Only questions I could not do were 1 (c) , 3 (c)(i) , 6(b) .
    Trig questions and Further calcuation question were a joke. 50/50 on all of them I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

This is something like what i got for the vectors part (a), anyone get anything similar?
    vectors.JPG

That's not like what I got...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

exact same as me and a few other lads in my class

Advertisement