Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper II (H)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

hehe no!! its in the centre. I thought vectors q was awful the only part of i got was part (a)?? i forgot what that feckin' upside down T was and how to get it...

question 1 - didnt get proof, or very last part on c.... did it 3 times...

Question 2 - alreeady said

I didnt like the 3d diagram i usually ALWAYS get them. tithe?? **** u, i was expecting the usual stuff.

paper 1 was a good bit easier maybe in 10% difference for me. Prob get a C3 now i'd say. Was hoping for a B3.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

I hated that paper with all of my heart and teen-hormone-fuelled anger :mad: :eek:

Screwed up question one horribly... got (a), didn't get any of (b), Got quite far on (c), thjink I had the right method, but just couldn't get an answer out of it. It went on and on :(

Question three...got (a) out, got (b) out, got (c)(i) and forgot about (ii) :o

4.. didn't get (a) (forgot how to do it), got all of (b) out, THINK I got all of (c) out but it gave some funky looking answer at the end of it that I don't trust too much...

Question five.... attempted (a), THINK I got (b)(i), didnt get (ii)m abd got (c) (quite proud of that one :o - wrote "lol, PWNED!!" on the exam paper.. (the pink paper, not the answer script))...

Question six... got (a), got (b) out, (I'm convinced that they made that question as difficult as humanly possible... still got it in the end. Long bastard of a question though), Think I got two thirds of (c)

Question eight.... got (a), got (b) (i) and (ii), and I couldn't get the general term for (iii) but wrote down thetest for convergence formula thingy so should've gotten a few marks for that), and got a part of (c), at which point the time ran out and I came dangerously close to shouting quite a loud profanity across the examination hall.

hmmm...

That paper was mean. Really mean. Like, Reeeeeeeaaaaaally mean. Everything seemed to just be as long and complicated as possible. One or two parts of that might've been me doing it the wrong way, but little things like the difference equation question having square roots in the roots... and sneaking in a test for convergence into the Maclaurin series question (which would've usually yielded 20 marks on its own). Actually, they didn't even specify what a Maclaurin series was (they usually write down the general series. They don't some years but they usually make the rest of the question a bit easier then...luckily I did six of them yesterday and knew it off....). These things were just the examiner saying "Hey! You! Maths-boy! I'm going to piss you off and try to confuse you and push you for time. Ha ha ha. ph33r my l33tness."......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Andrew what the hell are you on about? That was on of the fairest Paper II's I've seen in years. There was NOTHING unpredictable on it, all of the stuff came up at some point in the LC before, unlike Paper 1 which was riddled with stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Thought it was a much fairer paper than paper 1, couldn't get 5b)ii out but apart from that could do everything (doesn't mean I got the right answers though.....)

I did question 1 2 3 5 6 7 8....did question 7 in like 7 mins at the end...I really hate probability though....

meh, don't care really
    TimAy wrote:
    hey!...an EX maths student. and i tired one at that.

booyakasah!!!

:)

Good to see it went well for most people, fair play!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 CoffeeFreak

I think the paper was okay, although that doesn't mean that I did great in it. I didn't try the vectors one because I couldn't get the part a...
    Q1 was great. A few bits of the probability were difficult. I'm such an idiot though, because I didn't see the ratio test part of Q8, I just threw away 10 marks :mad: . I'm so stupid!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I thought it was quite easy.
    The hard questions were very hard (vectors etc.), while the easy questions were very easy (proability etc.)
    I worked out my percentage by estimating and being a bit pessamistic, I got 72% for Paper 2. Well happy tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Can anyone tell me what was the asnwer to the last part of 7(c)? I did all questions and i'm fairly sure i got an A1 :D . Trigonometry was lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

For question 3 part B. I got (i) and (ii), generally simple, but did the Ms in anyone else's answer cancel out? I was just left with one number = to another number (which didn't actually equal it). Maybe I should try it again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Greater than, it's because the mean age is raised when you factor in the new students and therefore the square root is larger than 0.6 - I'm working on a set of solutions that I'll post later... it's in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

OTliddy wrote:
    Can anyone tell me what was the asnwer to the last part of 7(c)? I did all questions and i'm fairly sure i got an A1 :D . Trigonometry was lovely!
    i thought it was ****e in comparison to the last few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

i failed that paper and i got about 60% on p1 so the 20% xtra saved me thank ****

Bob wrote:
    Greater than, it's because the mean age is raised when you factor in the new students and therefore the square root is larger than 0.6 - I'm working on a set of solutions that I'll post later... it's in there.
    ha what a guess! not the reason though i had some bull**** answer down.

By the way was tithe 30 for some answer? I randomly guess it. It was trig i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭2e

ha what a guess! not the reason though i had some bull**** answer down.

By the way was tithe 30 for some answer? I randomly guess it. It was trig i think.
    Fairly random, randomfella :-)

I said less than, as in the brackets (x minus the mean)^2 in the standard deviation formula, the mean is now greater so it would be a larger mean minus each of the numbers, so you'd get smaller numbers and therefore the square root would be smaller.

I just guessed it though so I'm probably wrong. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Absolutely amazing paper! I was worried after paper 1 cuz it didnt go smoothly (around a B, but looking for an A).

I got a burst of confidence when the circle question came out just after over 10mins. Only one question which i did not get an answer for (c)(ii) of vectors. The rest i got out.

My only worry is probability... you know when you fly through a prob question just to find half them are wrong? I really rook my time with that question and hope it pays off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

I said less than, as in the brackets (x minus the mean)^2 in the standard deviation formula, the mean is now greater so it would be a larger mean minus each of the numbers, so you'd get smaller numbers and therefore the square root would be smaller.

That is completely wrong sorry man! its greater than, sure the mean is greater therefore the sum of the numbers is equally greater

Yeah, I needed full marks on 6 and 7 as they were my banker questions so I really slogged through them - about 1hr 15mins total for the two questions and then I flew through the rest. I've noticed 2 errors whilst doing some solutions out that I wouldn't have made if I was taking a bit more time but I'm almost certain I'll have made up for it in questions 6 and 7.

Grrr they've put up every paper on http://www.examinations.ie bar Paper II Higher from today, and that's the one I want to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Study???

are you f**kin insane you thought the paper was hard but you reckin you got a b2. shut up and give the rest of us a break

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Murv

All in all a lot fairer than p1. I wouldn't say it was easy but there were smiles instead of tears as people were leaving the exam halls today, which is always a plus. The only thing about the probability questions were that they didn't say if the things were replaced! Drove me mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

ye give us a break, everyone sayin you scraped an A2? wat the ****? im hoping for a C3, think i got it. paper 2 was easy enough, even if i blanked on vectors pretty much so only had 5 questions answered..some of the questions were amazingly easy..i hear learned the proof for the tangent to the circle this morning, probability was stupidly easy too. the question with 1,2,3,4,5 how many 3 figured numbers can you make if they all have to be the same?? i was doing mad things for ages and then just copped it was 5, obviously..i got<0.6 by the way, i worked out the standard deviation as 0.5...anyone else get 15 for h in the max/min on q8 c??

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Study??? wrote:
    are you f**kin insane you thought the paper was hard but you reckin you got a b2. shut up and give the rest of us a break

Yep, my sentiments exactly! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mrs. hamlet

Noooo, plz don't say the answer woz 15 4 max/min prob cuz i got 10 and i thought i got it right???? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

i could easily be wrong mrs. hamlet, not that great at maths to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Noooo, plz don't say the answer woz 15 4 max/min prob cuz i got 10 and i thought i got it right???? :mad:

Calm down it was 10

Yup, got 10... so did most others I know.`

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mrs. hamlet

Phew, slight over reaction!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

i was goin into that paper confident, seen that it was easy when i looked through it and was expectin to do well..

then, as i was doin, i kept messing up time and time again.. just stupid mistakes everywhere makin my answers weird

• Advertisement

yeh got 10 aswel. Are the answers up?

Advertisement