Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kite boarding?

Options
  • 13-06-2005 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

As a means to an adrenaline end, a couple of mates and myself have been thinking of taking up kite boarding for the summer months.

Anybody on here do it? It looks a sweet way to get my adrenaline fix...is it really dangerous though?

Just sorta wondering where would be a good spot to do it in Dublin? (if there are clubs or what not?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Are you talking on water or on land. I reckon the Curragh (Co Kildare) would be a good spot, nice wide open grass land. But then again I don't kite board (yet!).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

On some days you see people doing that on the beaches of Dublin. Search boards.ie, as I remember vaguely someone asking something about this before.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I've heard that people go over to Lambay Island to do it. Also the longer beaches like Donabate/Portrane tend to get them on a quiet day.

[edit]
    Actually, one guy appeared down to the beach in Portrane last Summer and asked them for their surf ski so that he could row across to Lambay with his kite.....
    [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 caracal

check out www.kitesurfing.ie, great website with lots of info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭sanctusbjorler

www.windpoweredireland.com .. for kiting in Cork/Kerry/Clare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

I hav'nt tried kiteboarding yet but I do some power kiting with a eight foot wide foil kite.Anyone that kite surfs learns to fly the kite on land first,it's a risky sport and insurance is reccomended for all kite sports.
    see me vids here:http://www.irishextreme.tk sign the guestbook if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hambo

i went out and got lessons on kiteboarding down on dollymount strand from a portugese guy from nrk.ie, would recommend him, really knew his stuff...

sorry, that url is http://www.nrk.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

nonsense,

stay away from NRK.ie their main instructor can barly kitesurf and they teach in unsuitable conditions. your wasting your money and time getting lessons from them.

they had oen good instructor who has set up his own kite school called pure magic.

notice the way few of the regulars even bother make converstion with them.
    put up a post on www.kitesurfing.ie and ask for instructors, you will get areply from experienced and begineers kitesurfers who can give you recomodatiosn.

the IKSA (irish kitesurfing assocation) websites is www.kitesurf.ie send a mail to schools@kitesurf.ie and you will get a automated reply with a list of most ireish instructors.

Advertisement