Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Lidl laptop: processor question

• 13-06-2005 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭

I just bought the Lidl laptop this morning and I checked the BIOS to make sure I was getting what I was supposed to.
    It said the processsor was 1.8 GHz, which is what it said on the flyer but then I right-clicked on My Computer and it said 1.58 GHz. Then I ran a little program called 'cpuz' (it gives hardware info for your system) and it said 795.9 MHz for core clock speed.
    WTF?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

cpuz doesnt prob recognise that processor?
    its pretty new and is screwing up both windows and cpuz.

thats my theory anyway, but.........i might be wrong :D

whats the gfx mem on that baby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

just a tought but try and plug it in and check

doesn't the laptop slow down the cpu to preserve the battery( i think )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Set the Battery to Max Power in settings.....what shltter said it right, Mine is a 1.5M and runs at 600 when not plugged in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Cool n Quiet is most likely stepping it up and down depending on processor load. Run a stress test program, eg F@H or Prime95 and then check what speed it's running at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

What's the machine like? I'm tempted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭lukin

shltter wrote:
    just a tought but try and plug it in and check

doesn't the laptop slow down the cpu to preserve the battery( i think )

It was actually plugged in at the time.
    whats the gfx mem on that baby?

What's gfx mem?
    cpuz doesnt prob recognise that processor?

You could be right.
    Trojan wrote:
    What's the machine like? I'm tempted!

Haven't used it much yet but the resolution on the screen is v. good;dvd's are crystal clear. The widescreen display makes the look better than on a normal screen. The HD is 70 GB instead of the 80 it's spose to be but I know that you lose a certain percentage of HD space for some reason. I thought it would be a bit less than 10 GB though.
    I won't get a good idea for what it's like for multi-tasking until I install a few programs that are heavy on memory (Oracle, eclipse).
    I will have a better idea of how good it is then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

Its the Cool n Quiet feature, which slows down the processor to save power.

Use the Power option in the Control Panel and Under the Power Schemes tab set the Schent to Home/Office Desk, then set the to Never turn off HD or Monitor and Never for Standby under the Plugged in option.

It will run flat out at full speed once this has been set when the Power cable is in.

I leave mine to default under Battery conditions as it extends the running time.

There is a 5 or 6 gb hidden recovery partition - check Administrative tools in the control click on Computer Management and then choose Disk Management on the left. You can then see all the partitions available.

Thanks, I'll try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

GFX = your video card.

odie wrote:
    Its the Cool n Quiet feature, which slows down the processor to save power.

Use the Power option in the Control Panel and Under the Power Schemes tab set the Schent to Home/Office Desk, then set the to Never turn off HD or Monitor and Never for Standby under the Plugged in option.

It will run flat out at full speed once this has been set when the Power cable is in.

I leave mine to default under Battery conditions as it extends the running time.

There is a 5 or 6 gb hidden recovery partition - check Administrative tools in the control click on Computer Management and then choose Disk Management on the left. You can then see all the partitions available.

I did what you asked about the processor and it worked. It's now showing 1.79 GHz under My Computer. Nice one,thanks.
    Are you sure it's OK to change the Power Scheme to Home/Office Desk?

The Disk Management tab showed me the way the partitions are divided:
    69.3 GB is the C drive, 4.15 GB is called 'RECOVERY', and 996 MB is called 'INSTALL'.
    The RECOVERY partition is where I am losing the most space. I won't go fiddling with anything, it's not worth the hassle for a few more gigabytes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

It's fine to run it on full whack when it is on the Power supply. When on Batteries it will automatically step down anyway.

I still have my recovery Partition, better to leave it as it is. You never know when you need it.

odie wrote:
    It's fine to run it on full whack when it is on the Power supply. When on Batteries it will automatically step down anyway.
    Cool.
    odie wrote:
    I still have my recovery Partition, better to leave it as it is. You never know when you need it.
    Aye,safer alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Info read directly from the BIOS screens would be more reliable than windows or a windows app for the reasons stated above. There's probably a nice convenient (unchangeable obviously) listing for max processor speed in there somewhere.

Advertisement