Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2005

• 13-06-2005 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

No thread on this yet?

I am shocked.

Some of the talent on display is great :D

Well, after the group stages, it is in to the Semi-Finals.

The Semi-Final Line up is like this.

Germany - Finland (Wednesday)
    Norway - Sweden (Thursday)

I think Germany should overcome Finland, but the Scandinavian Derby will be a tighter affair. I expect Norway to come out on top.

Anyone else watching this, or am I the only one?

Some of the goals being scored have been top quality.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

seansouth wrote:
    No thread on this yet?

I am shocked.

Well, after the group stages, it is in to the Semi-Finals.

The Semi-Final Line up is like this.

Germany - Finland (Wednesday)
    Norway - Sweden (Thursday)

I think Germany should overcome Finland, but the Scandinavian Derby will be a tighter affair. I expect Norway to come out on top.

Anyone else watching this, or am I the only one?

Some of the goals being scored have been top quality.

Norwegians on top, Yeah!!! Thats what I like! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Ive seen some of it, that bird Germany up front is a decent player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

One or two decent players, but overall the skill/quality levels are pretty disappointing in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is this that new reality comedy show Tim Lovejoy was talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Erm...no.

It's the UEFA European Championships 2005, currently being held in England.

For WIMMIN.

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    Erm...no.

It's the UEFA European Championships 2005, currently being held in England.

For WIMMIN.

Sigh. We're on the ball today, arent we.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was also quite disappointed in the skill level.
    I had always wondering why it was that a woman had never made it into a professional team, but now I see why.
    That said, the top 10 players I'd say could make it into some of the lower PL teams

I'm assuming theres no actual rule that players in the mens game have to be men. I'd imagine this was similar to the champions league this season, nobody actual believes a woman would be good enough or anyone would try to recruit a woman, so didnt bother pputting in a rule. So that would only leave the conclusion that they're not good enough, and this is evident from any matches I've watched.

That Italian team that Cl. Gadaffi's son played for (sorry, I can't remember the team), their president said he'd have a woman signed and playing for the men's team by the end of this season I think.

I don't think it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

It was Perugia, a bit of a publicity stunt me thinks.

The womans name was Mia Hamm as far as I remember, and if not that it was some Scandinavian. Quality name for a female footballer though.

• Advertisement

Germany beat Finland last night 4-1.

They are in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It was Perugia, a bit of a publicity stunt me thinks.

The womans name was Mia Hamm as far as I remember, and if not that it was some Scandinavian. Quality name for a female footballer though.
    you have the team right but the player wrong - he offered contracts to the two top swedish players - both rejected the deals because they felt they would not be able to cope in Serie A, Mia was linked with DC United and the Metro Stars a few years back though - when she was a superstar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

a dissapointing aspect of the womens game is that they don't take their shirts off when scoring like some of their male counterparts do.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

For exciting summer football, tune in to the U-20 championships, some of the players there are pretty impressive.

http://www.footballclips.net/quincy_owusu_abeyie_vs_japan

Highlights of Quincy's performance against Japan. A lot of the footage is recycled and the Jap's defending is worse than the highlights in their hair, but it's still pretty damn impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

kaids wrote:
    For exciting summer football, tune in to the U-20 championships, some of the players there are pretty impressive.

http://www.footballclips.net/quincy_owusu_abeyie_vs_japan

Highlights of Quincy's performance against Japan. A lot of the footage is recycled and the Jap's defending is worse than the highlights in their hair, but it's still pretty damn impressive.
    Jesus, thats some skill. He has all the talent in the world but judging by one match I seen him play for Arsenal he has to learn to become more of a team player. Even when he set up that goal against Japan he wanted all the attention. Superb though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

seansouth wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as to say that!

That said tho I did find the Finnish goalie quite talented (even if she did let in 4 in the semi).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Stekelly wrote:
    I'm assuming theres no actual rule that players in the mens game have to be men. I'd imagine this was similar to the champions league this season, nobody actual believes a woman would be good enough or anyone would try to recruit a woman, so didnt bother pputting in a rule. So that would only leave the conclusion that they're not good enough, and this is evident from any matches I've watched.

Fifa banned women from playing men's professional football. http://www.independent-bangladesh.com/news/dec/21/21122004sp.htm#A28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭shelsfan

Wasn't there a woman who signed for a Mexican club and then she wasn't allowed to play?

Fifa banned women from playing men's professional football. http://www.independent-bangladesh.com/news/dec/21/21122004sp.htm#A28

Very forward thinking of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement