Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint Acct Query

Options
  • 13-06-2005 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I have opened a UFirst Ulsterbank joint account with my wife.

The idea is that for house stuff we can write cheques from the joint account.

Do we both have to sign the cheques ? or is one signature enough ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Depends on how you set the account up with the bank. Check with them whether it's been set up to require one or both signatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I've got the exact same account with my wife and only 1 signature is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Cheques only require one signature (there isn't room for two). The account withdrawal is where you have to decide if you want one or two signatures (i.e. can the wife withdraw without your signature and vice versa).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

tom dunne wrote:
    Cheques only require one signature (there isn't room for two). The account withdrawal is where you have to decide if you want one or two signatures (i.e. can the wife withdraw without your signature and vice versa).

the joint account mandate instructions cover all paper withdrawals from the account - be they cheque or withdrawal slips.

If more than one signature is required then the cheque book will be printed with two lines for signatures as opposed to the normal one.

Having more than "one to sign" on a joint account is the sign of excessive paranoia.

Advertisement