Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Phoneline connection time again

Options
  • 13-06-2005 3:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Eircom appear to be incentivising Connections or Reconnections all the time nowadays. They used to do this for 2 or 3 months ayear but its semi permanent nowadays.

THIS month (june) its free reconnection. (normally €25 or €30) if there is a line.

NEXT MONTH July and August its FREE CONNECTION (normally €130 or so) it is also FREE to connect a new line if your old one is cack , it is also FREE to have your cack ol line completely removed so you could strip it out in July and install a new one in August, both free

See Here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Wonder does this mean that eircom think that they wont win the current high court action.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Eircom appear to be incentivising Connections or Reconnections all the time nowadays. They used to do this for 2 or 3 months ayear but its semi permanent nowadays.

THIS month (june) its free reconnection. (normally €25 or €30) if there is a line.

NEXT MONTH July and August its FREE CONNECTION (normally €130 or so) it is also FREE to connect a new line if your old one is cack , it is also FREE to have your cack ol line completely removed so you could strip it out in July and install a new one in August, both free

See Here

A most interesting post.

Many of you will have heard of WLR - Wholesale Line Rental. A competitor offering to new entrants based on CPS - Carrier Pre-Selection.

A tactic like this is most excellent and frankly in breach of regulations on the retail v's wholesale equivalence side of eircom's organisation.

It serves to damage (Squeeze the life out of) WLR new entrants, who are they:

1. Smart Telecom
    2. British Telecom (Sasnaigh)
    3. Access Telecom

Basis is that lines migrated to Wholesale operators who get a miniscule margin (10%, I ask you! without DSL enabled ordering) for the glory of doing it, see Dermot Ahern's ministerial policy direction's from 2003.

An new entrant would need to retain lines for a long 'payback' period in order to get a return on single line - WLR investment.

Clearly, migration en massé of line rental's at their rather inflated (owing to mobile cost component's historically) is an issue for a stock market quoted company such as was An Bord Telecom eireann Teo.

Revenue at all costs perhaps! Now that's the way to run a business .....it's not magic, its just not smart.

Apologies for the fluttering of Irish, but isn't it great to have a different langauge! I have not been served by a paddy at any local eateries in months.

If you have tangible evidence, i.e. collateral or whatever, can you link to it from here please?

Did you all hear that DCMNR are collecting information on broadband? Yeah, they seem to think leased lines, i.e. anything over 256K counts ....talk about missing the point or what! :cool:

Go raibh míle maith agaibh a chairde, :eek:

Beir bua,

Tom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tom Young wrote:
    A tactic like this is most excellent and frankly in breach of regulations on the retail v's wholesale equivalence side of eircom's organisation.

It serves to damage (Squeeze the life out of) WLR new entrants, who are they:

1. Smart Telecom
    2. British Telecom (Sasnaigh)
    3. Access Telecom

Basis is that lines migrated to Wholesale operators who get a miniscule margin (10%, I ask you! without DSL enabled ordering) for the glory of doing it, see Dermot Ahern's ministerial policy direction's from 2003.
    Surely it gives them a loop to unbundle or rent in the first place !
    An new entrant would need to retain lines for a long 'payback' period in order to get a return on single line - WLR investment.

Clearly, migration en massé of line rental's at their rather inflated (owing to mobile cost component's historically) is an issue for a stock market quoted company such as was An Bord Telecom eireann Teo.

Revenue at all costs perhaps! Now that's the way to run a business .....it's not magic, its just not smart.

If you have tangible evidence, i.e. collateral or whatever, can you link to it from here please?
    I linked in my post ???? . The interesting thing is the near permanence of connection offers nowadays, offers which used to run for 2 months a year in the recent past. Eircom are losing copper channels (to mobile and wireless operators and NTL) and are having to compete for them by giving the connections away .
    Did you all hear that DCMNR are collecting information on broadband? Yeah, they seem to think leased lines, i.e. anything over 256K counts ....talk about missing the point or what! :cool:

Go raibh míle maith agaibh a chairde, :eek:

Faraor ni thuigim cén tabhacht a bheadh lena leithéid :confused:

Sponge Bob wrote:

I linked in my post ???? . The interesting thing is the near permanence of connection offers nowadays, offers which used to run for 2 months a year in the recent past. Eircom are losing copper channels (to mobile and wireless operators and NTL) and are having to compete for them by giving the connections away .

Faraor ni thuigim cén tabhacht a bheadh lena leithéid :confused:

My post has nothing to do with LLU. However, I can see where that might come into it. I need to check the reconnection fees for access seekers. Yet, again these should apply to eircom retail.

Sponge Bob wrote:

Yeah, to be clear. WLR operators can take any lines (POTS, B/P-ISDN) virtually but not for LLU. eircom just tabled a WLR and xDSL bitstream joint order process after much debate at industry.

Seems that concessions come at a high price.

Please re-read my piece on leased line inclusion on Broadband stats. Submission of such figures would be pure folly.

• Advertisement

Leased lines are being deregulated (above 2Mb) which will probably mean keen prices in urban areas ....near Eircom POPs hence low tail costs.

The price of big 10mbit+symmetrical pipes will fall, not that it will make much difference in smaller towns and rural(ish) areas where Eircom controls the tail but are not under pressure like in the 5 main towns .

Big pipes appeal to big enterprises which create lots of jobs, the DCMNR probably wants to capitalise on it and I can't blame them.

Meanwhile, many if not most of the original tranche of 20 MAN fibre networks are unlit to this day :( . Many are small I will admit but they are stranded like Gweedore, Manorhamilton, Kiltimagh .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Leased lines are being deregulated (above 2Mb) which will probably mean keen prices in urban areas ....near Eircom POPs hence low tail costs.

The price of big 10mbit+symmetrical pipes will fall, not that it will make much difference in smaller towns and rural(ish) areas where Eircom controls the tail but are not under pressure like in the 5 main towns .

Big pipes appeal to big enterprises which create lots of jobs, the DCMNR probably wants to capitalise on it and I can't blame them.

Meanwhile, many if not most of the original tranche of 20 MAN fibre networks are unlit to this day :( . Many are small I will admit but they are stranded like Gweedore, Manorhamilton, Kiltimagh .

While that's sound logic, the phenomenon of substitution and use of cheaper technologies should be more attractive to users and enterprises. Take for example unregulated fast Ethernet.

Deregulation above 2MB is a fine thing, if your buying from eircom. Wholesale operators have Partical Private Circuits fully regulated in competition with this deregulated offering.

Well don't even get me started on the MANs, great idea but like whats the deal?

My point on the DCMNR is that they are failing to address the root cause. BB over loops, France is a great comparison. Ass fell out of the Leased Line Market, BB penetration high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

damn just installed new isdn and pstn lines.

some fsckers that lot are. a bill for 700 euro for a few line installs.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

flamegrill wrote:
    damn just installed new isdn and pstn lines.

some fsckers that lot are. a bill for 700 euro for a few line installs.
    Erk, that was expensive! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SnotNosedGit

I don't suppose they'll have a free upgrade to ISDN anytime soon?

• Advertisement

They had a free upgrade to ISDN in the spring .

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's the downgrade back to standard line (if you want BB) that won't be free! :(

Advertisement