Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry Expts

Options
  • 13-06-2005 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

so whats coming up??

Bleach is for sure imo, what else..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Bleach
    Your standard redox reaction and also has dilution included, good question

Ethanol - Ethanal - Ethanoic Acid
    Might give you both sets of figures and do comparrison with set up and percentage yield question too.

Le Chateliers
    Theory based and hasn't been asked before

Those are my tips. Has iron tablets come up?
    Another possibility is
    Distillation of Clove Oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

damn, I hate the le chatelier's experiments. clove oil and the three 'eth's are lovely questions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ive heard of Iron Tablets coming up alrite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

Iron tabs maybe! Clove oil I wouldn't bet on that was up last year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

I heard one of the rates of reactions ones....I think it's the hydrogen peroxide and manganese dioxide one...anyone else heard this?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

yeah i think the hydrogen perox is a possible also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mrs. hamlet

Free chlorine exp?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cotsy

My God please let the Flame test come up, now that would be sweet! iodine thiosulfate titration is due I think, or the ones wher u have to find the value of X in the solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

**** please post the flame test results:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

One Volumetric analysis
    One organic experiment (only ethanoic acid and ethanal haven't been asked)
    Something else ;)

In our mock we got % water of crystallisation in hydrated sodium carbonate, ethanoic acid and a two-parter with flame tests and tests for anions.

My teacher reckons they're never going to ask free chlorine as a practical in Section A because there isn't enough they can ask on it, but he says it could easily come up in Section B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

You could never make a question solely on the Flame Tests, at best it would come up in Section B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Study???

yeah i think iron has come up b4 good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cotsy

Breezer wrote:
    In our mock we got % water of crystallisation in hydrated sodium carbonate, ethanoic acid and a two-parter with flame tests and tests for anions.
    Got the same Mock, god it was biatch and boy did i fail, it didn even have the usual question 5 on the trends in the periodic table etc.

Hope the L.C. is a lot easier than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mrs. hamlet

Breezer wrote:

Had same mock as you! Didn't know the anion or flame tests at the time but that wud b SWEET in real thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

ColHol wrote:
    Ive heard of Iron Tablets coming up alrite

Heard the opposite from a reputable institute teacher. Bleach for titration q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

For titration, a sodium thiosulphate type titration hasn't come up. That would be bleach, but % water crystallisation hasn't come up either - but that could be combined into the bleach (I think).

Ethanal, ethanooic, clove oil are all the big organic chemistry ones.

Can only guess for the other ones, but I think the chemical equilibrium/rates of reaction ones have featured heavily, so they might pick an experiment from a different section (anions etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

Remember though no point learning ones that have already come up cause they wont come up again this year anyway. Since the course is only 3 years old.
    So check before you start learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

^Not true. They repeated an experiment (partially) in the 3rd year of the physics exam (started in 2001). The difference being that there are 4 expts on the physics paper, but 3 for chemistry. But this is the 4th year...

Advertisement