Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol Shooting

Options
  • 13-06-2005 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been pistol shooting on a couple of occasions in the States (mainly Texas) and wanted to carry on shooting here in Ireland. Is it complicated to acquire a licence and hence a gun? Is there a legal requirement for weapon calibre etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

For pistol shooting, it seems a bit disorganised at present RS, as reading the threads will tell you! In general though, no, not that complicated. Here's the procedure for getting a licence. There's no legal limit on calibre or action either, though you need your superintendent's permission for any licence, so you won't be seeing too many 20mm gatling guns being licenced :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Thanks for that mate. I had a quick look there and it does seem to be a little up in the air TBH. I'll obviously need a guideline price for a pistol (i was mainly shooting glocks in the States and was highly impressed by their build quality and excellent reputation for durability) and a safe. Can anyone give me an idea of the price? or the name of a gunshop i can ring for prices??

ta

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Thats a good question, how much is an average gun safe/gun locker?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Rew wrote:
    Thats a good question, how much is an average gun safe/gun locker?
    For rifles and shotguns, around about 100-150 euro for a basic model. For pistols, you 'd probably be able to use a smaller safe, you can get standard ones in Woody's for 40-odd euro that'd be grand for air pistols. I'd imagine your superintendent would want something a bit sturdier for sidearms though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

For pistols, you 'd probably be able to use a smaller safe, you can get standard ones in Woody's for 40-odd euro that'd be grand for air pistols. I'd imagine your superintendent would want something a bit sturdier for sidearms though.
    [/QUOTE]

Not necessarily,there is no defination of "secure storage" in regards to specs of what the secure cabinets should be,or to what approved saftey standards they should be.The only thing I do know they will kick up on is exposed outside locks[IE padlocks].So you could indeed use a 60 Euro Argos safe.Again ambiguity and fog of law is the order of the day .

• Advertisement
Advertisement