Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Papers?

Options
  • 13-06-2005 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

It's irrelevant to anything but it's kinda bugging me. Why were the english papers made of glossy paper and the rest of the papers weren't?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

To make the photos look better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

I don't know but it is really annoying isn't it? And why did maths p one fold out and paper 2 was like a book?Hhmmmm...but most annoying is when thay put "Blank Page" on the last few sheets...!AAARRGHH it drives me mad!
    #1 We're not thinck, if they didn't write it no-one would be like "oh my god we must be missing a question, or else it's extra-small and I can't read it"
    #2 They are contradicting themselves because it is NOT blank if it has something written on it!!!

*sighs* I just needed to get that off my chest....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

*marie* wrote:
    I don't know but it is really annoying isn't it? And why did maths p one fold out and paper 2 was like a book?Hhmmmm...but most annoying is when thay put "Blank Page" on the last few sheets...!AAARRGHH it drives me mad!

Good points :D , yeah I thought that about the maths paper too.
    *marie* wrote:
    #2 They are contradicting themselves because it is NOT blank if it has something written on it!!!

very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

lol i thought that aswell when we got maths paper two....i liked the shiny paper..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

The reason for the blank pages is usually because the papers are arranged such that there are no questions on the back page. So the examiner can give them out and then call "you may begin" without everyone seeing the front of the paper already. Which is kind of odd as there are never (?) any questions on the front of the paper anyway.

That came to me in an epiphany today - I'm convinced I am right about it. Only bloody explanation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

the extra pages are to make it a book... i don't feel like explaining how that works without the visual aid of papers..

anyway: the blank page thing is so nobody panics and thinks they've lost a page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

Bob wrote:
    Which is kind of odd as there are never (?) any questions on the front of the paper anyway.
    actually on one or other of the aural exams at ordinary level, I think the questions started on the front of the paper... which had several ordinary-level people unobtrusively bugging honours people for translations before the examiner started up the CD.
    they seem to be very laid back about communicating and looking over the papers before 'you can start now' in our place; everyone in the hall knew dickinson was on english paper 2 before we began because somebody took a peek and practically jumped for joy.

Yeah, I was the rebel who peeked in my school, got a few strange looks after my muffled scream of delight when I saw Dickinson! No-one actually waits to be told to start anymore, we all just go ahead when we get the papers now. Knid of unfair for the unfortunate stuck in the bottom left corner of the room who is always last to get it!
    As for the communiation, I was distracted for 5 mins today when one girl "whispered" (more like a quiet shout) to someone on the OTHER SIDE OF THE ROOM for the lend of a HIGHLIGHTER!!!! The superintendent managed to look up from her biscuits long enough to cast a disapproving glance, but that was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 CoffeeFreak

*marie* wrote:

And did you notice that the pink/blue Irish papers say 'leathanach bán' on them?

Bán can mean blank too though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Ya! a guy in my class scribbled it out and wrote "leathanach dearg". I thinkthe glossy papers stunk. Also in most exams, i've been able to look through the paper and read the questions. I was the first to know the poets, and maths ppr 2 q4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

wz first to get english paper and took a peak and got very excited, lol

Bán can mean blank too though.

Yeah but it's still annoying!
    Any other headwrecking things about the exams? (apart from actually having to do them!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

1. Waving your hand in the air for ages like a gobsh*** when you want extra paper before the examiner looks up.
    2. Those weird little metal hooky things for attaching extra paper or graph paper! I'm not good at these kinds of contraptions, I just twist it any old way and hope for the best. Anyone want to advise me on how to use them properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

rosa wrote:
    Waving your hand in the air for ages like a gobsh*** when you want extra paper before the examiner looks up.

Our examiner is so lazy, we've to just go up and get our own paper...it's handy not having to wait though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

rosa wrote:
    2. Those weird little metal hooky things for attaching extra paper or graph paper! I'm not good at these kinds of contraptions, I just twist it any old way and hope for the best. Anyone want to advise me on how to use them properly?

We get plastic ones, don't mind tbh, exciting. :rolleyes:

Advertisement