Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does your insurance broker charge a handling fee?

Options
  • 13-06-2005 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I have just renewed my car insurance and this year I was surprised to see a handling fee of €25 on the bill. This was over and above the 5% commission that the broker gets from the insurer. I queried it to be told that this is a new charge that has just been introduced and that other brokers are doing the same.

I can't really complain because even allowing for the handling fee my broker has got me a good quote.Nevertheless I wonder if this practise has become commonplace.

I know that insurance premiums have fallen in recent years and this directly affects a brokers commission - but are they trying to claw back some of the loss in earnings through the handling charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WICKL0W

Some brokers have been charging this for years. If you are getting a bad service from your broker don't pay it but in many instances they are giving good advice and saving you from a lot of hassle. The value of broker is especially apparent at claim stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Most insurance companies woulkd charge a handlers fee of upto 50euro, not all brokers would get 5% commission either

Are you sure the 25 euro wasn't called DAS legal fee's, which is an absolute bargain as you get free legal fee's in the event of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

No ithe €25 isn't naything to do with legal fees - it is definitely just a charge levied by the broker and it is on top of a 5% comission - this is all detailed on the invoice and I queried it just to be sure.

I guess I agree with you Wicklow that I am still getting value out of using a broker. They definitely ease the process and they seem to be able to get better deals than are available buying direct. Its just that they never charged this before and I wondered if this was a trend.

Advertisement