Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French

Options
  • 13-06-2005 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Ill be in a differant room for the exam. I'm "studying" letters cause mine suck Not much else you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Im doing french and I suppose all im gonna study is the Letters and Postcards...cant really study without kinda diong some papers...cant study listening either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

Im gonna be in a hall by myself next week for italian, its gonna be so weird! I'll be the only person in the whole school!
    For french I'm learning a few phrases for a letter and short note/postcard, i think probably an introduction and some of those phrases that apparantly get u a whole load of marks...good grammar and all that ****. I think if i can be bothered that ill do some of the comprehensions in the past papers, but it probably wont help much anyway. Im mostly gonna concentrate on history today i think. I have so many accounts to learn! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

French is compulsory in our school. I'd do it anyway. I like it.

I'm studying vocabulary, letters and verbs.
    Tryin to do some listening too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Compulsory? Who gave them permission to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I got a disk yea but why bother...im grand in French, if I wanted to study hard Id prob get an A but my dream of at least a B in everythin is shattered by Irish already...so anythin over a C in French im fine now...Ill just get all A's in the leaving :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Yea I have to say its the best for me too...unless I just pick it up on my own, then Ill remember things...but revising 3 weeks before JC is no good for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Compulsory? Who gave them permission to do that?
    No-one, just our principal likes to tell people what to do.

• Advertisement

Damn my school...we got sweet FA choices for a European Language..still dont in 5th!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 princess fluff

yep we ave to do french too... i dont really mind it though... im nearly positive that a note is comin up this year... in the past papers its been every second year with the notes and postcards so its due up this year!!! its easier too!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

French is compulsory for JC in my school. You can do German as well but I'll be damned if I'm gonna do 4 languages... Shame though, 'cause I might have liked German.

Anyway, for studying, I'll probably just go over my verbs and grammar and stuff. We barely learned any grammar in french so I gotta go over loads of stuff. Damn teacher. But I hate learning off stuff, so it's easier to just get the grammar down. Kinda worried about French because I was really confident about it, I mean it's pretty easy, and then I got like.. my second lowest in it in the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Well, I'm ace t French, was forced by our school in 1st year, you could give up in 2nd, but I loved it. Still do.

I'm only gonna go over the CD we got in our exam appers tonight, but also the note. That's what's expected this year, it was postcard last year so it alternates every year. Except in 99/2000 when they were both notes. So don't trust me on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I got a disk yea but why bother...im grand in French, if I wanted to study hard Id prob get an A but my dream of at least a B in everythin is shattered by Irish already...so anythin over a C in French im fine now...Ill just get all A's in the leaving :p
    Aim for a B+ average then!

Will do.....But honestly if I do good in the listening I'll ace it!!!
    In the leaving I'll be speaking fluent anyway...Thank You Dr.Pimsleur :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I lived in France for 3 years and Im still terrible at it.I got 74% in my pre...I really should have got an A.Im studying the letter and note,because Im afraid of what will come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

as long as I dont fail french I'll be happy!

Hey can you do a subject that you never done in school for these tests.....as in I dont do German but I would like to do it for the leaving :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭*MmmPie*

As far as I know in theory you could do it but it'd involve a lot of extra work. Depends on your school though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

i love doing german :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Who, me?

I was made do French AND German. :(
    French is 50 million times easier, though. German's really hard to understand...French listening is grand, you can usually guess your way through it.

Well I know very very very basic german...I will know it fluently hopefully by september :D
    I done an LCA German test and I aced it...LC german is another story :p
    But I'll be hoping to do it for Leaving even though we dont do it in school...Just to maximise marks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Who, me?

Well I know very very very basic german...I will know it fluently hopefully by september :D
    I done an LCA German test and I aced it...LC german is another story :p
    But I'll be hoping to do it for Leaving even though we dont do it in school...Just to maximise marks :)
    German's quite easy to pick up, the verbs and stuff are grand in comparison to French...I'd say you won't have too much trouble with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hey can you do a subject that you never done in school for these tests.....as in I dont do German but I would like to do it for the leaving :confused:

You can do as many exams as are practical. I did Art and Business Organisation extra in the Leaving Cert.

Thats good to know...I'll inform the teachers im doing it in 5th as to avoid any problems(as I'll have to do Oral too I suppose :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Feck, I've been playing computer games all night...time to study, going to print out the notes from skool.ie and just learn them off - the rest of the paper is fairly trivial it's the letter and postcard I'm worried about as I've never passed a test on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

French is mandatory in my school too. I think it's mandatory for L.C. too but I'm not sure. It's an alright subject so nobody complains.

My teacher is really good (Louise Curtain rocks) and she's made out all these big summary not booklets which make studying really easy. Go her! She's even going to be out Form Tutor next year while our usual one has a baby (or babog as she might call it).

I'll probably get a B in French. I always miss the A by only a few percent. It's very annoying, especially since I mostly get As in class tests. I hope I get an A tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

You definitely can do whatever subjects you want. Im doing Italian for my junior and i never did it in school, and i think il do german in the leaving cos i did it in 1st year. I would have done it for the junior, but i missed 2nd year so i had so much stuff to learn this year and i only started french too, so i wouldnt have had time! Just dont forget to tell your school cos i nearly did!

• Advertisement

I have to say...thats test wasn't hard...wasnt too easy either--I had most trouble in the reading comprehension :eek:

Advertisement