Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

german is so easy :p
    the whole comprehension stuff is so easy then u need common sense of what you have learned to do the postcard and letter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

So what did everyone think of it?

I thought the tape was fine. The long conversation was different to past ones, but easier too. The comprehensions were all fine. I thought the last one about the TV presenter was quite tricky. I was really glad to see a note up, we'd done loads of prep on them in class.

The formal letter coming up was a shock, but seeing as you had a choice between that & a letter to your penpal it was fine. Maybe they're trying to introduce the formal one into exams more.

All in all I'm fairly happy, I think I'll do as well as I did in the pre if not better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I thought it was moderately brutal.
    The listening was a lot harder than usual listenings. Of course it might have been because I was daydreaming like hell for SOME REASON. Anyway. I got thrown by that damn listening, and for the rest of the exam I was thinking in Irish.

I forgot all of the most basic vocabulary ever, could barely even conjugate tenses and it was just quite bad. Which is really annoying because French is easy once you're not thinking in IRISH and I'd say I did even worse than I did in the mocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

That test was really hard. What was up with the reading comprehension about a drunk bear?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

Me too. That happened to me loads of the time, I can never think in the right language! I kept writing down irish and then crossing it out. My paper was a mess. I was finished early so i did the 2 letters, but id never done a formal one before. I just did vous instead of tu! And my appropriate ending was "i would be delighted if i go to your school. i would be delighted if i learn french. I would be delighted if you tell me some news"...i learnt TWO phrases for that test. i would be delighted(could you tell?) and 1 to start off the note with.
    The comprehensions were quite hard, but i loved the 1 about the bear getting drunk...lol. And i couldnt stop laughing in the tape when the kids were saying 'oui monsiour' god the tape tests are funny this year. Apart from that section, i hated the tape and that girl who kept talking had a really annoying voice, so i couldnt listen to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

The note and letter werent too hard (I usually mess those up horribly) I nearly fell asleep during the aural so got a few questions wrong, and I found the last 2 reading comprehensions quite hard, other than that it was ok. Instead of leaving early and going out into the cold I just put my head down and slept on my desk until 12 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 X-Man

I messed up big time....... couldnt handle da letters at all....... Eveytime I tried to think of a phrase it came to me in Irish....... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Captain Hook

The last question in the reading section was impossible (about the guy and his twin babies) I wasted so much time on it! :mad:

Fobia wrote:
    I just put my head down and slept on my desk until 12 :)
    I tried that after Geography but the supervisor woman came over and was asking me if I was okay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭*MmmPie*

Is it just me or are many of your supervisors not exactly...perceptive? I swear, we could be chanting collectively or dancing on the tables and our supervisor wouldn't bat an eyelid... The amount of people I saw cheating today is unreal!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

The french is usually easy and sweet, like a biscuit with chocolate, but much harder today. The listening epecially was way harder than other years :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Arrrrgggghhhhh! French! I was really hoping for an A in French, now I'll be happy with a B. The tape test, which I'm usually fine at, messed me up so bad. It was really hard. The comprehension was really hard compared to the ones I've done before. It really annoyed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Fobia wrote:
    The note and letter werent too hard (I usually mess those up horribly) I nearly fell asleep during the aural so got a few questions wrong, and I found the last 2 reading comprehensions quite hard, other than that it was ok.

Pretty much the same as me except I mixed up the tenses a bit during the letter :( .By the way the tape = about 47% of the exam :eek: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭*MmmPie*

Its actually 43.75%

*MmmPie* wrote:
    Its actually 43.75%

yes............yes it is .

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

I thought the listening comprehension could have gone a little better, but I think I guessed a lot of my answers. The comprehension was ok; man, the subjects were weird! The bear who drank (was it 30?) cans of beer, and wasn't there something about a camel in Germany? Funny stuff.
    The formal letter was a bit of a surprise, but I was happy with my informal letter. My note was terrible, though. All in all, I'm hoping for a B, but a C will do. I can't stand French, anyway.

I said: about 30 . as it was Trentaine or something like that .

I babelfished "trentaine" and it says it means "about thirty". So much for MY answer... =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I thought the French was pretty hard,especially the wriiten comprehensions.I was hoping for a A but I think Ill get a B.

In the one about the girl at the cash machine being attacked,what was the weapon used? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

I said a knife.

My superintendant is totally dumb, my friend got up & started dancing at the top of the class while she was giving out the history papers today XD

jennyq wrote:
    I said a knife.

My superintendant is totally dumb, my friend got up & started dancing at the top of the class while she was giving out the history papers today XD

I said knife too....pure guess though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I also said knife, knew the word at the time but forget it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Yep iI think that coteau word or whoever ya spell it meant knife.At least I hope so..... Just one question,What was the thing about the drunk kangaroos!? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Was on 2fm program 806 tonight, and they were talking about Honors French in JC, sais that the last htree reading comprehensions were hard(I agree) and that this was the first year in the whole French course that the INFORMAL letter came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Were being used in experiments DAMN THE SEC :mad:

Oh I agree totally.They'veTRIED OUT LOADSA STUFF ON US,fORMAL fRENGH LETTER.New Maths Format paper,harder than usual french comprehension,and the science paper will be a bitch because last years was so easy.........I m going to go hide under my bed and cry now,excuse me...... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Haha Ill join you---only under my bed :p
    We deserve a student orientated marking scheme now :)

Whoops! You almost got yourself into a dilly of a predicament there! Seriously though SCIENCE=SCARY

• Advertisement

spiderlegs wrote:
    Whoops! You almost got yourself into a dilly of a predicament there! Seriously though SCIENCE=SCARY

Especially since its a new curriculum for next year and they are going to sort of try it out on us :mad: .

Advertisement