Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front derailleur replacement

Options
  • 13-06-2005 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My front derailleur needs replacement (pins gone due to wear), it's stock on Trek 4300 (so Alivio methinks).

Cyclelogical said they could do it for 25e for some form of Deore component, but weren't too clear on which one (it was closing, we were in a rush). I'm a bit wary about Cyclelogical though, because I ended up having to spend 50 on a wheel rebuild last week that I thought could have been a tenner cheaper from the noises they were making - initially it was just the cost of 5 new spokes ~20e, but fair enough it needed a lot of work.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice on a) which front derailleur to upgrade to (exact model no.), probably looking at Deore LX or XT, and b) how much should this cost, and would I be better off in Fairview (City Cycles), or Cycleways, regarding total cost?

Bike is fairly stock '04 4300 (24 speed).

Cheers,
    Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

TBH LX will do you unless you're racing, you won't notice a performance difference IMO.
    Cycleways and cyclelogical are owned by brothers, you may not notice a signif price difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

There's a cycle shop in Tallaght village, loads of nice bikes and stuff in there, check them out. Why don't you get an old model STX derailleur? They might have some lying about somewhere. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Price match the component on the Internet against somewhere like http://www.chainreactioncycles.com to make sure you're not getting ripped.

Then calculate how long it would take you to do it yourself and whether you'd be successful or not. Put a value on your time and if its less than what they bike shop quote use them :)

As the man said, unless you're racing or have way too much money, LX is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I got my front derailleur replaced last week at Little Sport in Fairview (just under the pedestrian bridge on the coast road). Ph 833-2405. They had to order the part in. Arrived next day.
    Got a Shimano XT one (LX would have been fine). Charged e50 for part and e10 for fitting. They are very reasonable pricewise at that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Living in Killester, I've experience both shops on Fairview, and they've generally been good. I do notice a tendency to try slip cheaper components on to keep replacement costs down, I guess that's a function of (conjecture) less aware customers looking for the best deal. I might give them a ring.

Based on LX recommendation, it appears that I'm looking for the M567. I'm not certain what my seat tube circumference is though, might have to measure it ('04 4300).

Now, what about Top vs Bottom Swing? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I got my front derailleur (LX) replaced last year after it broke. I brought it to Mikes Bikes in Dun Laoghaire, I think it was 40 quid for parts and labour. Probably 25 for the mech and 15 for the work. When they quoted you 25, did they just mean for parts, or does it include labour?

KR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

Lads, a front mech is easy to change. The only tools you need are a 5mm allen key and a screwdriver (for limit adjustment). Order your component of choice from CRC and have it on your doorstep 24hours later. I too live in Killester, and would be willing to help out if any difficulties arise.

An easy way to find out the diameter of your current mech is to take it off and read it (it should be writtne on the inside of the clamp).

As for top/ conventional swing... its only on full suspension bikes with odd looking suspension designs that you will have a dificulty fitting a conventional mech. The metal cage that actually shifts the chain sort of hangs down from the clamp on a conventional mech. On a top-swing mech the shifter is pretty much beside the clamp, so it can be mounted lower down the seat tube. I have a slight preference for conventional mech because they have a reputation for being more reliable in the long term.

Advertisement