Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing hosts

Options
  • 13-06-2005 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

My first year's service with my current webhost ends at the end of this month. I would like to move my site (blog) and domain elsewhere, as they've had a bit too much downtime for my liking.
    Can anyone tell me how this is done? While ye are at it, how about a recommendation for a new host?

I'm currently paying about US $80/yr for "unlimited" (note the quotes) disk space (i'm using under 200MB, mostly photos), and something massive like 5-10GB/month traffic - doesn't really come into the equation though as my site rarely has over 100MB/month in traffic. The $80 includes the domain (a .net) too.
    What I require is:
    PHP 4.1 or greater
    MySQL 3.23.23 or greater (need more than 1 db though)
    Apache with mod_rewrite
    GD or ImageMagick (any version)
    SSH access for online editing of pages would be handy but not a necessity.

Basically, something capable of running both Wordpress and Coppermine photo gallery.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mazikeen

This comes with all (except SSH) of the above, including Coppermine:

http://www.prohostcentral.com/hosting.php

They'll do a custom plan for you too if you contact them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Mazikeen wrote:

Prohostcentral.com claims to have been around since 2002 and yet the support forums seems to have one post from January 2005. Domain WHOIS data is private. A check on the number of domains hosted by prohostcentral.com shows one domain hosted as of 01 Jun 2005 on the nameservers for Prohostcentral.com

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Have to say it - shop local, you'll end up with more accountable service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Anybody offering *nix hosting should be able to fulfill your needs.
    The versions you requested are pretty old :)
    The latest stable PHP is 4.3.11 and MySQL 4.* would be considered more usable at this stage than the 3.* series.
    The other stuff is fairly standard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Mazikeen wrote:

The site is just plain crap which, for some reason, makes me less likely to trust them. Good options for you would be Blacknight or Hosting 365.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I was just stating the minimum requirements of the software I'm using, I don't particularly care what versions are used as long as they work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

Stephen wrote:
    My first year's service with my current webhost ends at the end of this month. I would like to move my site (blog) and domain elsewhere, as they've had a bit too much downtime for my liking.
    Can anyone tell me how this is done? While ye are at it, how about a recommendation for a new host?

I'm currently paying about US $80/yr for "unlimited" (note the quotes) disk space (i'm using under 200MB, mostly photos), and something massive like 5-10GB/month traffic - doesn't really come into the equation though as my site rarely has over 100MB/month in traffic. The $80 includes the domain (a .net) too.
    What I require is:
    PHP 4.1 or greater
    MySQL 3.23.23 or greater (need more than 1 db though)
    Apache with mod_rewrite
    GD or ImageMagick (any version)
    SSH access for online editing of pages would be handy but not a necessity.

Basically, something capable of running both Wordpress and Coppermine photo gallery.

Cheers.

Stephen,
    Are you looking for another deal like you had above?

If so be prepared for more downtime (you know the old saying you get with what you pay for! - is especially true for hosting i think, having gone through about 3/4 hosts)

If your site is only a personal hobby (and your motto is cheap is good) and you can afford a few little glitches and second rate support then go for the likes of www.powweb.com or a sting of other low cost hosting solutions.

However if your site is in any way commercial then shop local..... my advice would be blacknight (best support ive ever come across - and no downtime)

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Legend_Killer

these guys are pretty good and reasobnably priced:

http://www.hostdime.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Have to say it - shop local, you'll end up with more accountable service :)

I agree with steve on this one. Im gonna point you to myhost.ie - and thats only because I dealt with the man many times. Im sure the other hosting companies who use these forums (hosting365, blacknight, fastproviders etc) all offer comparible services and good tech support also.

Definately shop local, if your using custom software then tech support may be an important factor. Nothing worse than having the deal with a "faceless" company on different timezones. You can see the other irish hosting companies with representation here on boards - thats a plus imo, and possible worth the extra few bob in the long run.

Changing hosts is easy enough though. If you have control of the domain registration details simply set the details to point to your new nameservers (once setup by the hosting company) and away you go!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Serbian wrote:
    The site is just plain crap which, for some reason, makes me less likely to trust them. Good options for you would be Blacknight or Hosting 365.

I still have accounts with hosting365 they are brill. However, I no longer have any accounts with Blacknight :mad: if something goes wrong good luck trying to get in touch with them and don't even bother to try and change from them without having to resort to threatening legal action

go for hosting365 i would highly recommend them i've nothing but great things to say about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

_raptor_ what are you on? .. The situation regarding your accounts where explained to you more than 3 times.. You purchased your hosting from ME as I had a reseller account with black night and cut you a deal.

The reason Black Knight could not deal with your request directly was because you where a Customer of mine. The perfect example of this is DSL if you are using a company EG: Netsource and you try and contact Eircom about your DSL they will turn you away and ask you to contact your reseller.

I did not receive any communication from you either via email or phone at any point. I only found out about the situation when black night notified me of your muppetery on boards.

Blacknight are excellent to work with I have moved domains to and from them quite frequently and never had any issues.

[font=&quot] [/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

And on a side note - make recommendations people, but dont take digs at companies you feel have treated you badly

Any such digs will be deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

http://www.webhostingtalk.com

Everything you need...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Mazikeen wrote:

It still amazes me that people will consider using a service that does not display contact details - your asking for your CC to enter a black hole!

I've had dealings with blacknight & hosting365 both very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭roastie

i use micfo , very good and pretty cheap $6 a month. never had a problem with them . :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I control a site for a client on Micfo, had two >4hr downtime issues with them and found them relatively quick to respond but ignorant about technical matters, to the extent that they lied directly to me. (Can't remember the first issue but on the second occasion the server was actually down or inaccessible and they tried to blame it on a local firewall problem. The fact that I couldn't get to it from my own server inside the same facility, and could show them which router was giving trouble, was a bit of a giveaway.)

The most reliable medium-sized stateside host I've dealt with is FutureQuest, don't think I've ever had any downtime and they do really seem to make an effort, which is a rarity. I'm actually looking for more providers like this, so presumably a request for recommendations won't tread on Stephen's toes too much.

adam

Advertisement