Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography- how was it for you?

Options
  • 13-06-2005 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

I know exams are not supposed to be interesting but I have to say geography was the most boring exam I think I've ever done and that includes maths, I couldn't wait to get out.

Not too bad a paper, I don't think they went easy on us but it could have been harder, I answered on refugees, tourism and location of industry. I don't think I got an A or even a B to be honest but I didn't fail either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

Excellent paper, wrote 6 extra pages!, sore hand!
    what was the deal with the part b on glaciation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Flamingfud

It was ok. I need clarification on one thing though....

Question 2, (B)- Seas

Part (ii)- The word coastline actually meant 'coastline', right? as in the land adjacent the sea. It didn't mean 'sea'.... I have a friend who did fishing as his answer for that part, and I'll be pissed if it was the right answer...I thought about doing it for maybe two minutes, before deciding against it, and struggling through the MUCH harder effects of groynes and the balance that needs to be kept.

Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

It was a beautifull exam! Lovely question on history of transport, settlement and historic settlement in the map section. Coasts came up! Fieldwork was marks in the bag and Italy and NORWAY came up! Brilliant. I'm happy. Although I did fairly bad in the regional section I still managed to waffle for about 4 or 5 pages for Italy into regions. I didn't have time for the coastal case study and besides that the case study I did was an english one. I'm thrilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭sarahg_angel69

fantabulistic paper!!!! over the moon!!! there was a unison "yeeeooooo" wen spain and italy came up!!!! got a B i'd say!! wrote 28 bloody pages!!!

fantabulistic paper!!!! over the moon!!! there was a unison "yeeeooooo" wen spain and italy came up!!!! got a B i'd say!! wrote 28 bloody pages!!!
    "

For the question b on glaciation I wrote about the excess water causing levees and ox-vow lakes, will i get anything for that?

for the map i talked about

neolithic people
    celtic people
    and christian people is that ok

for the part c i talked about linear, nucleated and dispersed?

did i **** thos up or are they right and for the first map q do you just talk about the canal,rail and roads?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I only managed 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Everything came up that should have, no complaints from me at all, i wrote 21 pages, i'd say B1/B2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Very good paper, easy for anyone who had done the work and prepared the questions. Very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

vote4pedro wrote:
    Very good paper, easy for anyone who had done the work and prepared the questions. Very happy.

i only got to do 3 Qs :(

but i think i did well in them so im happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 gaagirl

it was a nice paper but i thought the q about the development of transport in mullingar (os) was relying on our own initiative more than the map! u needed to know about history of canals and the way roads have developed in more detail than other years. delighted with spain though!!! and for the sea q i didnt do fishing i went on about groynes, gabions, rock armour etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

It was an ok paper. Italy into regions came up so I was happy. I think it was an easier paper than the mock so hopefully i got a good mark in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

with the glaciation question were they looking for three features overall?

it was worded very awarkwardly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Finch*

i finished the booklet, but was ****ting myself as i was doing my fieldwork cuz i had a brief look at the regional questions and i didnt see Norway for some reason, and that was all i had studied!! thank fully i noticed it after i had done my field work, phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rose**

was prett happy. coastline? feck i wrote about the sea. answered spain wish france had come up. no but it was grand every1 was pretty happy in my place :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

**** i knew i shoud have gone on about that in part b!!! i mentioned sellafield (pollution) vs. recreation. I should have realised this instead of going off on a tangent. where is the conflict though? Poorly worded part b. i well know how to answer a b on coastal management if this was the case.

overall everything i predicted was on it, only complaint was 3 regions or more, but that was my fault.

B1 like i got in the mocks..

What did u say for the evolution of transport?
    i did river, canal, rail and road.

History
    Stone age, bronze age, celts age, Castle age, Christian age. and gave examples of each.

Settlement - linear and clustered. this one seemed to easy to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

I spent too much time on the stupid field trip question, and didn't get any other questions finished. I'm smart.

"

For the question b on glaciation I wrote about the excess water causing levees and ox-vow lakes, will i get anything for that?

for the map i talked about

neolithic people
    celtic people
    and christian people is that ok

for the part c i talked about linear, nucleated and dispersed?

did i **** thos up or are they right and for the first map q do you just talk about the canal,rail and roads?

Is that anyway right?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

The paper was quite nice. Good change after that abomination of a maths exam earlier :rolleyes:

I didn't get it finished >.<.... Got as far as halfway through the second region of Italy, then the time ran out.... Could've been alot worse. Think I got about 60% to 75%. :)

17 A4 pages of writing in 3 hours 50 minutes is not a fun idea, kiddies....my hand... :(:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 gaagirl

What did u say for the evolution of transport?
    i did river, canal, rail and road.

History
    Stone age, bronze age, celts age, Castle age, Christian age. and gave examples of each.

Settlement - linear and clustered. this one seemed to easy to be true.

i did pretty much the same but i put canal and river as one point
    did prechristian, early christian and norman
    same for the settlement!
    i hate os work, u just go round in circles nd its always impossible to answer what theyve asked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Flamingfud wrote:
    It was ok. I need clarification on one thing though....

Question 2, (B)- Seas

Part (ii)- The word coastline actually meant 'coastline', right? as in the land adjacent the sea. It didn't mean 'sea'.... I have a friend who did fishing as his answer for that part, and I'll be pissed if it was the right answer...I thought about doing it for maybe two minutes, before deciding against it, and struggling through the MUCH harder effects of groynes and the balance that needs to be kept.

Anyone know?

i don't think they are going to mark the whole thing wrong based on one word either way....I'd say both would be accepted....well I would accept that if I was a marker! :D

Was ok.....hard to know really....got everything finished, just about and studied the stuff that came up...timing was a bit sh*te overall but anyway...

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Bright Smile

tbh im dead upset- id studied everythin, italy med,norway, france,glaciation, sea and rivers, fieldwork and mapwork.....and then i had a fe(king BRAIN FREEZE on italy after spending 3 hours on it yesterday....nothing too great,didnt get onto the alps at all and left out the ten marker tail at the end of the fieldwork.
    I worked damn hard for the exam (as many others did) and just couldnt get it down on paper....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

tbh im dead upset- id studied everythin, italy med,norway, france,glaciation, sea and rivers, fieldwork and mapwork.....and then i had a fe(king BRAIN FREEZE on italy after spending 3 hours on it yesterday....nothing too great,didnt get onto the alps at all and left out the ten marker tail at the end of the fieldwork.
    I worked damn hard for the exam (as many others did) and just couldnt get it down on paper....

Know the feeling so badly, I started freezing at glaciation (ho...) and by Italy I was struggling to recall anything. I have litreally been studying both topics since October - I was going absolutely crazy over it in the exam hall.

70% at best to be honest - and that should've been an A1 based on what came up, it was a light enough paper. F&"K IT ANYWAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

People how do you write so frieking much? And why? I did i say about 13 pages (notsure), but its still good! Like i did the Sea, perfect in 4 pages as in yes flawless!, Field work of 3 pages, again flawless and perfect, Spain in just over 2.5 pages which was pretty damn good if i do say so myself and then did the map work, about 3 pages which was a decent answer! Will be dissapointed if i dont get an A!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭captain_frances

Field work, in the bag baby,
    Coastlines, not too shabby (not flawless though)
    OS question.. what a fab question.
    Regions? Yeah, if I had gotten around to it, it would have been okay. Time management...is an issue.
    But still. I don't think I failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 love_the_chocol

okay well that paper was such a relief, PHEW!!!!
    I gota my B in that no probs, i hope!!! The coast part b and fieldwork last question threw me a bit cause of wording but overall good. Can anyone tell me is this right??
    division of spain
    meseta, galicia, med coastlands
    under 3 heading
    -relief and drainage, climate, agriculture
    ????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

gaagirl wrote:
    it was a nice paper but i thought the q about the development of transport in mullingar (os) was relying on our own initiative more than the map! u needed to know about history of canals and the way roads have developed in more detail than other years.
    Not really. All you had to do was describe canals on the map, say this transport used less when railways were invented, describe the rail system and then say it has now evolved that road transport is the main type, then describe roads on the map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭randombassist

Wow that was such a long paper... 28 pages later and my hand literally feels like it's going to fall off. Won't be able to play bass for a week! The questions were brilliant for me all the same. Norway and Coasts, there must be someone up there looking after me after all :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Africa wrote:
    People how do you write so frieking much? And why? I did i say about 13 pages (notsure), but its still good! Like i did the Sea, perfect in 4 pages as in yes flawless!, Field work of 3 pages, again flawless and perfect, Spain in just over 2.5 pages which was pretty damn good if i do say so myself and then did the map work, about 3 pages which was a decent answer! Will be dissapointed if i dont get an A!

Unless your writing is absolutely miniscule - that isn't enough mate, sorry to burst your bubble... it might be perfect - but so is the statement: "The sea is wet" - yet it isn't elaborate enough to get an A, you know?

Hope you do get an A though :) makes my 29 pages look all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

The Paper had everything i studied for so im happy :D , the O.S map question was very reasonable and was no problem. Coasts was no problem, field work i may have not made sense in places as your writing 90 mph. Region: i hoped for Italy and it came up so happy with that too.

Over all the paper was very student friendly, there wasnt one question if you studied during your course you wouldn't answer. Came out of the exam though with the "Writing finger" you know that little bump you develop on the side of your middle finger, but this was like a crater in my finger :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭captain_frances

Is anyone elses hand killing them from all of this intensive writing? 19 pages my friends, and a blistering thumb. I'm telling ya, I'm really not looking forward to History's five essays. *insert swear word here*

Advertisement