Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography- how was it for you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

NoelRock wrote:
    Unless your writing is absolutely miniscule - that isn't enough mate, sorry to burst your bubble... it might be perfect - but so is the statement: "The sea is wet" - yet it isn't elaborate enough to get an A, you know?

Hope you do get an A though :) makes my 29 pages look all the better.
    29 pages holy crap, i was about 3 pages off from finishing a booklet, was pretty happy with that.

can anyone tell me about the glaciation question could you use 3 features of erosion and depostion or just 3 from either or.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lillywhite

for the second part of glaciation i did dalmatian coast and rias for the increased volume of water. is that completely wrong i can't bear to open my book and check! im so glad that geography and maths 2 are over! 4 down 3 to go!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

i forgot marram grass and sand dunes on the spit, apart from that i had the sea locked down. well apart from B - depends.

I did 5 pages on regional.
    Couldn't physically write more in 50mins, bit unfair. I could have easily wrote another half an hours' worth
    4 pages on Map
    3 photo
    4 physical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Shinny-dee

Is anyone elses hand killing them from all of this intensive writing? 19 pages my friends, and a blistering thumb. I'm telling ya, I'm really not looking forward to History's five essays. *insert swear word here*

yup me too my hands still killin me frm irish never mind today!will die before i finish history paper without a doubt!!

grand paper of course i only studied france cos i lost spain n italy notes so had t make up spain in about ten mins!!oh well roll on wednesday!

um lillywhite i did eskers,outwash plains, boulder clay/till, erratics n even whacked d burren in there thats wat most people in my skool did too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

NoelRock wrote:
    Unless your writing is absolutely miniscule - that isn't enough mate, sorry to burst your bubble... it might be perfect - but so is the statement: "The sea is wet" - yet it isn't elaborate enough to get an A, you know?

Hope you do get an A though :) makes my 29 pages look all the better.
    i did 16, and i'm confident of at least a b1!!!! my fieldwork is 4.5 (perfect) italy 3.5 (also perfect cos i got 94/100 in the mocks) os and photograph were pretty good!!!
    they just want the details,not the waffely ****e!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

just out of curiousity how many pages are in the booklet thing....I did that +5.......someone cut off my arm!!!!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Hm.....i dont even see what there is to write so much on each aspect of them! I mean sum it up and its grand! I summed up with great language and detail and used thediagrams too! Suprising that so many were done, but i have proved in the past that it is quality not quantity! Got A in mocks have been straight A student forever in the subject so will be sickened if i dont get it!

Oh and about 15 words a line, my english was like 25 words a line with the stress affecting my writing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Flamingfud

Ahh ****e. I had a headfeck on that question one. Couldn't remember clustered......had linear, and the one about settlements not existing on higher ground. Even though there was no high ground. 15 marks away!

Part from that, can't think of anything I got wrong. B1 in the bag, A2 if I'm lucky

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Got all of it done. Didnt do Italy, so attempted the Toursim question - class it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

I had major time problems. For one the photohraph question, i did a really quick sketch map, then just wrote parts 2 and 3 in point form, in the last minute.

**** you, Time. **** you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 willire

ok not sure if im the only one (and the only class) in the country that did the map question b4!!! it was a mock we had in our school in 2003 i think! dont think the question was the exact same but the transport and historical settlement was def on it! im did bout 18 pages on it! dont see how people can do more than 24 unless you skip pages and have diagrams that take up a page!! is maramm grass essential for sand spit????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Lynibeth

The paper was good but I probably still failed LOL. :) Ah no I don't know how I did. finished the answer book... meh lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

For the question b on glaciation I wrote about the excess water causing levees and ox-vow lakes, will i get anything for that?

for the map i talked about

neolithic people
    celtic people
    and christian people is that ok

for the part c i talked about linear, nucleated and dispersed?

did i **** those up or are they right and for the first map q do you just talk about the canal,rail and roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

29 pages? in 3 hours 20 mins? that means 29 pages in 200 mins..thats like a page every 7 mins constantly? your freaks if your tellin the truth, or else you have massive writing and did your exam in crayons...you can easilly get an a1 with 15-18 pages, doesnt matter how much ****e you write, quanlity not quantity as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Lol expressing my thoughts exactly there mate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭|Maestro|

Id i mess up geofraphy yestersay?

for the section b on glaciers I talked about the extra water causing flooding and then fully explained levees and ox bow lakes

For the map i think i messed it all up
    for part a. i wrote abot the rail,road and canal just?

for the history of settlement i did neolithic,celtic and christian and got the dates for the christian ttally wrong,
    i also said that barrows are asssociated with the Neolithic, is that right?

and for the part c i discussed the settlement of dispersed,linear and nucleated???????????

willire wrote:
    ok not sure if im the only one (and the only class) in the country that did the map question b4!!! it was a mock we had in our school in 2003 i think! dont think the question was the exact same but the transport and historical settlement was def on it! im did bout 18 pages on it! dont see how people can do more than 24 unless you skip pages and have diagrams that take up a page!! is maramm grass essential for sand spit????????????

I hope not. I gave the spit a good solid page going into detail on wave refraction-why the spit is curved.I also went on about sand bar, lagoon and tombolo to stretch my answer out. If u search coasts u will see what i wrote. i hope this makes up for it. And my diagrams were perfect. Did 3 for cliff and just 2 for the others

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I thought it was an easy paper. I had put me effort into rivers, which was shock horro but did Glaciation fine.

Did my ordinace survey to great and my aerial photograph.

Our teacher was a dope and gave us the worst field study ever, unable to use it, we never went on study instead he just wrote one out which was pathetic.

I did the tourism question which is probably the easiest question on the paper it was perfect, since i didnt bother really learning a country.

Aerial Photo
    OS map
    Glaciation
    Tourism

Wrote roughly 20+ pages but wont guess a mark cause you build yourself up to be knocked down cause you can never guess and your a dope if you think oyu can. I am quietly confident though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

i did 36pages, and 4pages of graphs for the fieldwork, and even then i think i might just have scaped an a1. I scared the **** out of the guy beside me who had only half filled his booklet when i was asking for more paper... If France and rivers had come up i would have done better, the map question was pretty good. The part bfor glaciation was not what i was expecting at all. It got pretty annoying when i couldn't remember stuff on italy but all of France was in my head. I'm glad my hand never hurts after writing..

A booklet is 28pages right?

how much did u write per section?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Our teacher was a dope and gave us the worst field study ever, unable to use it, we never went on study instead he just wrote one out which was pathetic.

That really is pathetic.
    What a disgrace of a teacher. The whole point of field study work is that it is practical and experiential learning in the field.
    I hope despite him you do well.

how much did u write per section?

i don't know...

It was a booklet and two of the four page booklets. One of them was for just the map, so that's 4... ice was 6 and 2 diagrams. I guess italy must have been 10 or something. Fieldwork would be about the same. Hmm assuming the booklet is 28, there's still 4 more pages in there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

newgrange wrote:
    That really is pathetic.
    What a disgrace of a teacher. The whole point of field study work is that it is practical and experiential learning in the field.
    I hope despite him you do well.

It is? I got one of my teacher that he has been giving out for years - he just made some slight changes to it.. never actually carried out the excerise on the field.. ;)

thats truly incredible. Its such an advantage that u have over majority of people. I couldn't physically write more than 5 in 50 mins. I prob could have wrote another half hour A grade material on Italy. Them 5 pages were pure knowledge flowing out of my head that i knew BY HEART so it wasn't as if i stopped to think.

So much easier if i could type i could prob double that speed.

thats truly incredible.

Not really, most people who are good at geo did that in my school. One guy did 40 pages.

That's stupid, once you do it you can write off memory, you don't have to learn it.

Not really, most people who are good at geo did that in my school. One guy did 40 pages.

i just told u i can't PHYSICALLY write anymore than a page per 10 minutes. I got a B1 in the mocks so i'm good at geography just not at writing fast. Yea there might be the odd person who does that but most can't!

i just told u i can't PHYSICALLY write anymore than a page per 10 minutes. I got a B1 in the mocks so i'm good at geography just not at writing fast. Yea there might be the odd person who does that but most can't!

I wasn't saying you weren't good at geo...just that mine wasn't exceptional. For every guy over 30pgs there wastwo who didn't make twenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Po-2

Cant complain easy paper if you learned which i didnt so i was mad at myself for not makin an effort. the canal wasn't that easy to find. i went blank for Q1 with the patterens stupid or what

• Advertisement

Po-2 wrote:
    the canal wasn't that easy to find.

The canal went all the way around the town...and across the map...

Advertisement