Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shell V Power

Options
  • 13-06-2005 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever tried this with positive results ?? - I drive an Alfa 156 2.0l & the garage have recommended it.........not that I have any probs with the car,, they just reckon I'll get better performance

Cheers

Andi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

i get roughly 10% better fuel consumption and slightly bit more performance which might be a placebo effect but I have felt it every time when I had normal petrol in the car. Absolutely worth the 5c extra IMHO, esp. since I don't drive much. my car is a 206 1.4
    heard it should be excelent for engines like the VW's FSI, which should benefit from the reduction/elimination of sulphur - more performance and less consumption.
    however most people on the board are cheap skates and will recommend the tesco crap :-/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

silent wrote:
    however most people on the board are cheap skates and will recommend the tesco crap :-/
    That or going around to your gaff in the dead of the night with a rubber hose and a jerry can. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

But it's still 95 RON, right? Why don't Shell give us the 98 octane Optimax like they have in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

silent wrote:
    ...however most people on the board are cheap skates and will recommend the tesco crap :-/

This tesco crap you speak of is supplied by Statoil. They pump petroleum like any other company, and it works.

Maybe you have a problem with it because Tesco's sell it. So, you'd rather pay more for petrol in some other petrol station, that does the same damn thing.

Better a cheap skate, than an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tesco buy thier oil from....Statoil. Hardly crap then. And the "city-diesel" comes from Greenergy. A top company.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

The only reason to use V-Power is if you've got deposits on your injectors or valves and you believe their claims about the detergents in there. Normal petrol has detergents, too, though.

It will not improve your performance or your mileage.

Indeed, even higher octane petrol like Optimax will not improve your performance or your mileage. What it will do is prevent knocking and pinging in high-compression engines. If you don't have knocking or pinging or a high-compression (e.g., turbocharged) engine and your manual doesn't say to use a higher octane, you should just save your money.

http://www.ncbuy.com/auto/articles/01_10591.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Banjo013

It's like this ...

You see a Panasonic stereo in a shop - price €100.

But beside it, you see a Technics one that does nothing more than the Panasonic for €140.

You've heard that Technics is a better brand .... you can't remember why but you just know it from somewhere. You're the type who doesn't mind paying a bit extra for quality so away you go up to the counter with your Technics thingy and €140.

But - the Technics stereo is identical inside to the Panasonic. The case is a different colour, it's got a different shape and has a few more buttons. In fact - Technics is owned by Panasonic .... they are made side by side on the same assembly line. The clever marketing guys at Panasonic though have managed to plant the message under the general public's skin that Technics is better .... clever placement of the brand name and subliminal messages and all that. And that's why you don't mind buying the same thing in a different box for more money.

It's the same with this "better" petrol. It's packaged differently, you're told it gives more miles, you're told it gives more power and even that it cleans out your engine for you, for f**k sake. Oh - and of course it costs more.

Rubbish .... pure rubbish. It's one of those clever marketing ploys to get impressionable people to pay more for the same thing. And obviously it must be working too ... poor schmuks who buy it ... I can't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Would it not be better to just buy a can of Octane boost ~8.95 and put a small bit in every fill?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Filled up once with this V-Power stuff and noticed little or no difference in performance or economy. Only thing I noticed was that it cost more to fill up.

Definately not worth the extra 5c a litre imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm not being a smart ass(honest !) but my lawnmower (a Honda) seems to run better - quieter/smoother/less exhaust smoke - on it

Haven't tried it in the car cos its diesel

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I tried it and so no increase in performance & an increase in fuel consumption....wudn't be bothered with it again tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

filled up once with it by accident. couldve beat myself even more silly with the pump when I saw what I'd done. Ever since I double check when I go into Shell. I'll stick to the cheaper stuff thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

I'm not being a smart ass(honest !) but my lawnmower (a Honda) seems to run better - quieter/smoother/less exhaust smoke - on it
    Maybe because it's a two-stroke engine?
    Any scooterists out there want to test the theory...

causal

Advertisement